Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Forms - Uploads>Symptom Exclusion Policy - My Form
craftymissbeth 12:10 PM 10-04-2013
I've just finished up, I hope, an updated version of my Symptom Exclusion Policy. I'm going to hand it out to the parents and require a copy be signed and then they will have an easier way to check my exclusion policies rather than having to flip through the handbook.

Here's a copy of it with my personal info blacked out. I was hoping a few of you would be able to tell me what you think before I send it out today.

Thanks!
Attached: Symptom Exclusion Policy.pdf (195.3 KB) 
butterfly 12:44 PM 10-04-2013

craftymissbeth 12:52 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
That's pretty much all I needed to hit the print button!
Blackcat31 01:04 PM 10-04-2013
Nicely done! I like it. It's simple and leaves very little to negotiate or misunderstand.
craftymissbeth 01:16 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nicely done! I like it. It's simple and leaves very little to negotiate or misunderstand.
Thank you!
craftymissbeth 01:19 PM 10-04-2013
I have to say that the ONLY reason I have even the slightest idea of what I'm doing is because of the forum and all of the wonderful providers here!
butterfly 02:22 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I have to say that the ONLY reason I have even the slightest idea of what I'm doing is because of the forum and all of the wonderful providers here!
to that too. I agree!
melilley 03:59 PM 10-04-2013
That's how I made my sickness policy!
melilley 04:00 PM 10-04-2013
Sounds great! Mine is quite similar. I put a copy in the handbook, but I also put a copy in the welcome packets that parent's must sign and return when they start. That way I have a signed copy for their file and they have a copy in the handbook.
Michael 10:42 PM 10-04-2013

Rachel 03:05 AM 10-06-2013
Am I the only one who if I had a policy like that would have no clients?
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Rachel:
Am I the only one who if I had a policy like that would have no clients?
Can I ask what things in that policy wouldn't work for you? I am genuinely interested.

I don't have parents that don't keep their kids home for the reasons listed in OP's form so I am just wondering.

I really didn't read anything she was excluding for that should be allowed.....vomiting, diarrhea, unexplained rashes, contagious things...

The exclusion after imms is something I do because of bad experiences so I simply prefer parents to deal with that.

Other than the policy sounding really official, I can't see any exclusions that are out of the ordinary...
Cradle2crayons 12:49 PM 10-06-2013
Can I ask what things in that policy wouldn't work for you? I am genuinely interested.

I don't have parents that don't keep their kids home for the reasons listed in OP's form so I am just wondering.

I really didn't read anything she was excluding for that should be allowed.....vomiting, diarrhea, unexplained rashes, contagious things...

The exclusion after imms is something I do because of bad experiences so I simply prefer parents to deal with that.

Other than the policy sounding really official, I can't see any exclusions that are out of the ordinary...
I have pretty much e exact same policy, EXCEPT after immunization. Mainly because none of our nurse practitioners are open on Fridays and I keep kids contracted and on weekends also. I DO understand the reasons some have e immunization exclusion policy though.

The only other difference is that I do administer medications here.

All the exclusion symptoms sound just like mine, except mine is a little more in depth as far as the list is concerned.

craftymissbeth 06:20 PM 10-06-2013
So far I have only had one issue and that's with someone bringing their child with a fever. 100% of the list of symptoms are what my licensor said must be excluded for. I also care for a very young group and illnesses are more likely to get around due to mouthing, drool, etc. I also am full and my clients appreciate that I care greatly about the spread of illness through my business and home
craftymissbeth 06:28 PM 10-06-2013

I personally strive to make sure my forms and policies are professional and "official". I realize that others prefer that their policies sound friendlier, but I like to make sure my clients know that I even though my business is out of my home it's still a business and I take that seriously. I do get that without the whole package (me, my environment, my program, etc.) it does come off as cold.
Cradle2crayons 06:49 PM 10-06-2013
I personally strive to make sure my forms and policies are professional and "official". I realize that others prefer that their policies sound friendlier, but I like to make sure my clients know that I even though my business is out of my home it's still a business and I take that seriously. I do get that without the whole package (me, my environment, my program, etc.) it does come off as cold.

When it comes to the business aspect, I'm "official and professional". But the business side and personal side are completely separate.
Rachel 03:42 AM 10-07-2013

Increased number of stools, (so the kid pooped a lot. Of course diarrhea is one thing)

Excessive runny nose, coughing, sneezing, drooling (I wish, but no way that would fly)
Nose discharge that except clear (I've had kids with yellow, no other symptoms, for months)
Immunizations (would never, never fly).

I can't imagine sending someone home with a yellow runny nose and telling them they are excluded for 48 hours.

If she can do it, great. but I just don't see it flying here.
craftymissbeth 04:55 AM 10-07-2013
Increased number of stools, (so the kid pooped a lot. Of course diarrhea is one thing)

Excessive runny nose, coughing, sneezing, drooling (I wish, but no way that would fly)
Nose discharge that except clear (I've had kids with yellow, no other symptoms, for months)

I can't imagine sending someone home with a yellow runny nose and telling them they are excluded for 48 hours.

The increased number of stools is required by my licensor.

"Excessive" is up to my determination... I do realize that this one word could cause me issues if I ever needed to enforce it because parents will have their own opinion of what's excessive. Oh well... we'll figure things out.

Yes, I realize that yellow nasal discharge isn't necessarily anything to be concerned over, but ultimately it's my decision whether or not I feel like that yellow discharge will get all over our playroom and we'll all end up with it.

I exclude for immunizations because I care for such a young group and many are receiving certain vaccinations for the first time in their lives. Why would I want to be the one caring for them when a potential reaction could occur? Their parents should be.

You never know if you can swing certain policies in your community unless you actually try them out. Just because all other providers do things a certain way doesn't mean all parents are pleased with it.

In fact, I'm the only provider in my low income town that not only does not accept state assistance, but also requires a deposit. Still works for me!
Familycare71 05:40 AM 10-07-2013

My differences are:
Fever of 100 oral

I don't exclude for:
Colored mucus
Frequent runny nose
Sneezing
Drool

Kids are out 24 hours symptom free if I send home or if they are kept home. I am going to add returning with same symptoms results in 48 hours out tho.
Kids can come after Tylenol or Advil has been given unless used for fever.
Kids can come after imm unless fever or irritability.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 10-07-2013
I write my forms in the same manner. I rarely "ask" things, but rather state them and it DOES come off sounding official and business-like but I also prefer it that way.

Thank you.... I was simply curious as to what things wouldn't work for you (and others).

I am in NO way saying anyone is right and/or wrong...I was honestly curious.

I try hard to be more personal and understanding in certain situations and for me, knowing when to apply a bit more "personal" verses "business" is something I struggle with.....kwim?

Thank you for replying/your input
Rachel 09:18 PM 10-07-2013

"Excessive" is up to my determination... I do realize that this one word could cause me issues if I ever needed to enforce it because parents will have their own opinion of what's excessive. Oh well... we'll figure things out.

Yes, I realize that yellow nasal discharge isn't necessarily anything to be concerned over, but ultimately it's my decision whether or not I feel like that yellow discharge will get all over our playroom and we'll all end up with it.

I exclude for immunizations because I care for such a young group and many are receiving certain vaccinations for the first time in their lives. Why would I want to be the one caring for them when a potential reaction could occur? Their parents should be.

You never know if you can swing certain policies in your community unless you actually try them out. Just because all other providers do things a certain way doesn't mean all parents are pleased with it.

In fact, I'm the only provider in my low income town that not only does not accept state assistance, but also requires a deposit. Still works for me!
I know I can't now, because I work for an organization and they have their own sickness policy (which is pretty strict).

I also like to write things out firmly, but sometimes it can come back to bite you in the bottom. By writing yellow discharge is an exclusion the same as fever, you aren't making it sound like your discretion. So one day a parent will come in with yellow and you will take the kid because it's not a problem,and little Johnny's parents will see Suzy there with yellow discharge and question why you are not following your policy.
Rachel 09:26 PM 10-07-2013
I write my forms in the same manner. I rarely "ask" things, but rather state them and it DOES come off sounding official and business-like but I also prefer it that way.

Thank you.... I was simply curious as to what things wouldn't work for you (and others).

I am in NO way saying anyone is right and/or wrong...I was honestly curious.

I try hard to be more personal and understanding in certain situations and for me, knowing when to apply a bit more "personal" verses "business" is something I struggle with.....kwim?

Thank you for replying/your input
I also am the same way, but the way I read it except for the first 3 about participation and behavior, and the one about "excessive" discharge, they are not written as up for discussion. Is anyone really going to keep a 4 year old who can clean his nose fine home because the discharge is yellow? So then what is going to happen when the next parent walks in, sees Johnny's yellow discharge, and questions why if he can be there with yellow discharge, why can't my angel be there with a 100 fever "from teething." Both are written as exclusion in the same language.

As far as the shots, I would love to but usually the kids don't have symptoms for 2 days. Sometimes I am told up to 2 weeks later (having trouble remembering). If a child comes in with a fever, even if it was from a shot, of course I send home. But the parents are allowed to bring their kids after they are immunized.
Rachel 09:26 PM 10-07-2013

I know I can't now, because I work for an organization and they have their own sickness policy (which is pretty strict).

I also like to write things out firmly, but sometimes it can come back to bite you in the bottom. By writing yellow discharge is an exclusion the same as fever, you aren't making it sound like your discretion. So one day a parent will come in with yellow and you will take the kid because it's not a problem,and little Johnny's parents will see Suzy there with yellow discharge and question why you are not following your policy.
Tags:sick policy samples, symptom exclusion policy, symptoms
Reply Up