Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Forms - Uploads>Medications, HELP...A Little Long
daycare 08:56 AM 10-21-2013
Over the last month I have had several kids come down with colds, flus, ear infections, bronchitis, and seasonal allergies. ALL of my dck age range from 17 months to 4.5 years.

I have in my policies that if a parent gives medication to their child at least 4 hours before arriving to childcare, that I need to be informed. It also says that if they give their children medication that is not intended for their child to use, that I can deny care for that day should I chose to do so.

Lately some of the parents are not telling me anything at drop off. However, later I can see that their child is not well and I am sending them home. When the parents come to pick up their sick kid, we talk and they tell me oh yeah I gave my 20 month old Benadryl. WTH it should be not be given if under 4 years old.

So now I am trying to figure out a way that I can have some control on this. I know that I will never stop it, I know that parents will lie to me.

I thought about creating a medication log which will require the parents to sign, stating what was given, the amounts, reason and time. I do feel that most parents will lie, but I need to do something to cover my butt.

If something happens to one of these kids while they are here because their parent decided to give them some medication, then I am the one who will pay the ultimate price.

Does anyone have a medication log or some sort of system that you use so that you can monitor these types of situations.

Thanks
Blackcat31 09:17 AM 10-21-2013
I have one. Parents fill out what they gave the child, when and why.

I have them sign and date it.

I also make sure they know (via my illness policy) that if they should give their child ANYTHING not recommended for their child's age etc (such as Benedryl) without a doctor's written permission, I WILL report it to CPS as it is NOT ok to do.

Here is the med log I use.

If a parent told me AFTER the fact that they gave their child something before daycare and didn't tell me, they would be given a warning or possible termination. They know this ahead of time too.

I know it is impossible to guarantee that all parents are telling the truth so I make do with what I can do and what I can do is have the log and not have anything on site so if something happened, it would be traced back to the parent and not me....kwim?
daycarediva 09:20 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
Over the last month I have had several kids come down with colds, flus, ear infections, bronchitis, and seasonal allergies. ALL of my dck age range from 17 months to 4.5 years.

I have in my policies that if a parent gives medication to their child at least 4 hours before arriving to childcare, that I need to be informed. It also says that if they give their children medication that is not intended for their child to use, that I can deny care for that day should I chose to do so.

Lately some of the parents are not telling me anything at drop off. However, later I can see that their child is not well and I am sending them home. When the parents come to pick up their sick kid, we talk and they tell me oh yeah I gave my 20 month old Benadryl. WTH it should be not be given if under 4 years old.

So now I am trying to figure out a way that I can have some control on this. I know that I will never stop it, I know that parents will lie to me.

I thought about creating a medication log which will require the parents to sign, stating what was given, the amounts, reason and time. I do feel that most parents will lie, but I need to do something to cover my butt.

If something happens to one of these kids while they are here because their parent decided to give them some medication, then I am the one who will pay the ultimate price.

Does anyone have a medication log or some sort of system that you use so that you can monitor these types of situations.

Thanks
I have a medication log for each child that parents write in the name of the medication, dose, time administered and reason for doing so. They also have to sign and date it. Most often I DO believe they lie to me, to sneak a sick kid into daycare, but I DO have parents tell me "Gave him/her Tylenol this morning for teething, where's the form?" or "Joey was put on *********** for that ear infection. I gave it to him at 7." and I pull out the form. I keep it in their file, right next to the OTC log that the state requires I keep for topical things (like sunscreen and diaper cream)
MamaBearCanada 09:21 AM 10-21-2013
On a side note - we have infant Benadryl that under doctor & pharmacist advice we have given to our children. The lowest dosage just states children under 2 years or 24lbs 1/2tsp. We were cleared to give it before 1 year even.
Cradle2crayons 10:44 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
On a side note - we have infant Benadryl that under doctor & pharmacist advice we have given to our children. The lowest dosage just states children under 2 years or 24lbs 1/2tsp. We were cleared to give it before 1 year even.
I would absolutely not require WRITTEN permission from a dr for meds. Many times I have called my kids dr and e nurse has called back and said "give x tsp of x or y" and a dr visit isn't required.

If I called CPS for a parent giving a med that they had a verbal phone order to do so,..I'd be shut down and I'm not even licensed.

Of course, they are labeled for certain ages, but that doesn't mean a dr can't have their nurse tell you a different thing. And sneezing etc doesn't require a dr visit.
Cradle2crayons 10:46 AM 10-21-2013

Thanks
Yes, I use a written log also. My parents have been good about filling it out. Of course, if I threatened having their kid removed for giving something e dr verbally told me, they'd lie every time for fear of repercussion. I don't run my kids to the dr and pay $110 just to have the dr write "give xyz OTC at x dose" that'd be silly.
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I would absolutely not require WRITTEN permission from a dr for meds. Many times I have called my kids dr and e nurse has called back and said "give x tsp of x or y" and a dr visit isn't required.

If I called CPS for a parent giving a med that they had a verbal phone order to do so,..I'd be shut down and I'm not even licensed.

Of course, they are labeled for certain ages, but that doesn't mean a dr can't have their nurse tell you a different thing. And sneezing etc doesn't require a dr visit.
That's fine and dandy but I am NOT personally willing to simply take a parent's word that a doctor said it was ok to give a medication NOT designed for their child/age.

NO way.

I would absolutely call CPS if a parent gave their child something that wasn't meant for them. There are directions, regulations and rules for a reason.

If a parent takes a phone call from a doctor to give their child a med meant for older kids, they have 2 choices... keep the medicated child home with them so they are FULLY responsible or they can have the doctor write a note and the parents can pick it up and bring it with to daycare so I am covered.

I won't borrow liability issues as we have enough to manage.
Cradle2crayons 10:55 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's fine and dandy but I am NOT personally willing to simply take a parent's word that a doctor said it was ok to give a medication NOT designed for their child/age.

NO way.

I would absolutely call CPS if a parent gave their child something that wasn't meant for them. There are directions, regulations and rules for a reason.

If a parent takes a phone call from a doctor to give their child a med meant for older kids, they have 2 choices... keep the medicated child home with them so they are FULLY responsible or they can have the doctor write a note and the parents can pick it up and bring it with to daycare so I am covered.

The problem with is I see is that parents are more likely to lie about this. I'm much happier with my parents being willing to write it on the medication log because I then have a written record of it. I'd much rather them do that than I would them lie. But I have a policy saying that I can and will call their dr to confirm verbal orders and I also have a form they give their dr and a form their dr signs in their file stating I can call and confirm if I feel the need. I've done that ONCE in my career just to be sure everything was in the up and up.

I do have parents get something written for OTC meds when they go to the dr and I've been thing about making a form that's good for one year that has a list of OTC meds and a space for dosages and reasons to give... I have them take it to their dr and let the dr out the correct dosage for weight and initial beside each one that is appropriate. If he doesn't recommend it, he can cross it out or mark it out. Then that medicine and dosage is good for one year or six months etc.

My kids dr used to do that. He have us a list of different approved meds and dosages appropriate for my kiddo and signed it. That way x was approved for itching. Y was approved for colds etc and I knew e correct dosage for weight.
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
The problem with is I see is that parents are more likely to lie about this. I'm much happier with my parents being willing to write it on the medication log because I then have a written record of it. I'd much rather them do that than I would them lie. But I have a policy saying that I can and will call their dr to confirm verbal orders and I also have a form they give their dr and a form their dr signs in their file stating I can call and confirm if I feel the need. I've done that ONCE in my career just to be sure everything was in the up and up.

I do have parents get something written for OTC meds when they go to the dr and I've been thing about making a form that's good for one year that has a list of OTC meds and a space for dosages and reasons to give... I have them take it to their dr and let the dr out the correct dosage for weight and initial beside each one that is appropriate. If he doesn't recommend it, he can cross it out or mark it out. Then that medicine and dosage is good for one year or six months etc.

My kids dr used to do that. He have us a list of different approved meds and dosages appropriate for my kiddo and signed it. That way x was approved for itching. Y was approved for colds etc and I knew e correct dosage for weight.
I hear what you are saying but my DCP's DO write on a log for OTC meds.

I haven't had an issue with lying so far.

My thoughts on the Benedryl is that if the child really really needs it then a parent can get the doctor to write up a permission slip or they can keep their child home. It's that simple.

I don't have kids who "need" it. I have kids who have allergies but the meds they take are prescribed. I have yet, in 20+ years run into a situation that REQUIRES a child have Benedryl on my watch...kwim?

Simply assuming that a doctor said it was ok to give Benedryl opens up MORE of an opportunity for the parent to lie verses just requiring a doctor's note.

Bottom line, I am going to do what's necessary to protect MYSELF and requiring the doctor's note works. We don't live in a big city so getting in touch with one's doctor is not hard here.

Also, I prefer not to be the one to call their doctor and follow up on what they said....too much work on MY part. The way I see it, the parent is the one who needs to do the work before I allow their child to be in my care.
Cradle2crayons 11:34 AM 10-21-2013
I do want to clarify also.... If a parent write in a log a dosage on a med that is incorrect, I will pull them aside and talk to me about it. I've had dr actually write e incorrect dosage on medications. As a nurse, I've also saved many a patient from dr doing bad things related to medications etc.

So, just because a dr says or writes its okay to give a child x dosage, doesn't make it okay either.

And also, I am pretty clear that the reason most OTC meds are not recommended for x children isn't because of overdosage by parents because they can do that with a script too. Is because they want parents to have to take a child to the dr to get all medications so the docs can make money. That's what drives the world.
daycare 11:54 AM 10-21-2013
Thanks so much for that form. I will have to take a look at it at nap time. I just really want to make sure that I am covering my behind. I know that I won't be able to do it 100%, but showing that there is a documentation process in place may help me in the long run.

I will not for any reason take a call over the phone from any doctors office telling me to do something. I will not even give OTC with a doc note. I don't want that stuff in my home.......

Thanks for your advise on this...
MamaBearCanada 03:50 PM 10-21-2013
When the parents come to pick up their sick kid, we talk and they tell me oh yeah I gave my 20 month old Benadryl. WTH it should be not be given if under 4 years old.

Thanks

I also make sure they know (via my illness policy) that if they should give their child ANYTHING not recommended for their child's age etc (such as Benedryl) without a doctor's written permission, I WILL report it to CPS as it is NOT ok to do.
Just to clarify I was talking about giving Benadryl to my own kids not DCKs.

Here in Canada we have OTC Infant Benadryl that is for the under 4s and you don't need a doctor's order for it so I was really surprised to read the above quotes. When my daughter had hives due to viruses as an infant that is what was recommended to us by doctors and pharmacists and we did not need a prescription for it. We just followed the dosage instructions on the bottle that start at 1/2tsp for 24lbs and under / 2 and under. Just because a parent said they gave their young child Benadryl it wouldn't mean a red flag to me. Maybe you don't have the Infant version in the USA?
daycare 03:59 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Just to clarify I was talking about giving Benadryl to my own kids not DCKs.

Here in Canada we have OTC Infant Benadryl that is for the under 4s and you don't need a doctor's order for it so I was really surprised to read the above quotes. When my daughter had hives due to viruses as an infant that is what was recommended to us by doctors and pharmacists and we did not need a prescription for it. We just followed the dosage instructions on the bottle that start at 1/2tsp for 24lbs and under / 2 and under. Just because a parent said they gave their young child Benadryl it wouldn't mean a red flag to me. Maybe you don't have the Infant version in the USA?
to my knowledge there is zero infant anything here without a doctors orders.....Drug manufacturers changed their labels in 2008 to advise against use among children under age 4.

I tried to talk with our county health consultant about it, but she said it is the parents right to give them medication, it is my right to decline care for that child.

I have decided to just use the log book as BC is doing.
Angelsj 07:12 PM 10-21-2013

NO way.

You have the right to do what you want with your business. However, as a parent, I would be GONE if you called CPS rather than just tell me you don't want the liability. And to be honest, I would be over the top livid.

You absolutely have the right to tell me, "I don't agree with giving a child XYZ and I do not want the responsibility of their care while they have that medication in their system." and refusing care.
Reporting me to CPS? Especially if the doc has told me it is ok to give?? Um...no
Cradle2crayons 04:59 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
You have the right to do what you want with your business. However, as a parent, I would be GONE if you called CPS rather than just tell me you don't want the liability. And to be honest, I would be over the top livid.

You absolutely have the right to tell me, "I don't agree with giving a child XYZ and I do not want the responsibility of their care while they have that medication in their system." and refusing care.
Reporting me to CPS? Especially if the doc has told me it is ok to give?? Um...no

ColorfulSunburst 07:14 AM 10-22-2013
but if a parent is a liar he/she doesn't inform you in any way: orally or in writing. So what is purpose of that log?
daycare 07:17 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
but if a parent is a liar he/she doesn't inform you in any way: orally or in writing. So what is purpose of that log?
you are correct that parents can and will lie. However, the log is just a provided trail to try and cover your butt.
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 10-22-2013

That is my first action.

I prefer to just tell the parents everything. But unfortunately it doesn't always work with some parents now days.

A good majority of parents are on the same page, are genuinely concerned about this type of thing and don't make a practice of overmedicating their child.

Unfortunately there are always exceptions to the rule. THOSE are the parents that most of us have to write policies for. Those are the parents that make this job maddening at times.

You ARE 100% right, as a parent...I would also be livid...and I would leave care in a nano second if I thought my provider called CPS without talking to me.....but again, that is the behavior and thought process of a normal parent.

The ones who aren't on that same wave length or simply feel they can do whatever they want despite policies are the ones this rule in aimed at.

The parents who DO lie, who DO over medicate and DO try to pass their ill child off as well.

If you were my daycare parent, I would assume that you would just be honest with me as I am honest with you and the above rules will NEVER come into play or apply to you.

Make sense?

Especially if the doc has told me it is ok to give?? Um...no
Also, if the doctor said it was ok, then there would be no issue in providing a note then...

As a provider, I have a right to ask for written permission since the child will be cared for on MY watch. If a parent wants to give their child Benedryl and keep them home and watch them themselves, then I have nothing to do with that. That's on them. kwim?
Tags:medication - policy
Reply Up