Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Forms - Uploads>Advice for Newbies as A Childcare Provider
kbeutiful 06:22 AM 03-30-2016
Currently in the process of filling out my paper work and doing my required classes. So happy to have had found this site because I have so many questions. I am based in the NY area

1. Should I take my business as a Sole Proprietor or as LLC (limited liability company)

2. Pricing: I was thinking infants $180 a week toddlers $150 a week, my husband said those prices are to low he suggests infants should be $200 a week and toddlers $180 a week. What do you think???

3 Can you add your business onto your house insurance?

4. Sharing Handbook and enrollment forms, I need ideas of what to put, what are like the main things to put in to protect me and that would avoid a situation later down the line
Thriftylady 06:47 AM 03-30-2016
Ok well lets start with insurance. It can be tricky, but I would probably call my house insurer first and talk to them. It is a place to start.

As far as pricing, it varies so much by where you live, if you can get some people to tell you what they charge it will help. It varies so much just by part of a city.

I run as a SP, the LLC just seems like a hassle to me!

I am sure there are those who will share handbooks and contracts. I will if someone can tell me how to do it here. Also look into getting Tom Copeland's Contracts and Policies book. A lot of good stuff in there. He has several books that have helped me quite a bit.

And don't be afraid to linger and read here, and ask questions!
kbeutiful 07:16 AM 03-30-2016
Thank You for responding, I have been researching the whole LLC thing and it seems to have its pros and cons I would agree it does seem to be a bit of a hassle. thanks again I will also check out the recommended book
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by kbeutiful:
Currently in the process of filling out my paper work and doing my required classes. So happy to have had found this site because I have so many questions. I am based in the NY area

1. Should I take my business as a Sole Proprietor or as LLC (limited liability company)

2. Pricing: I was thinking infants $180 a week toddlers $150 a week, my husband said those prices are to low he suggests infants should be $200 a week and toddlers $180 a week. What do you think???

3 Can you add your business onto your house insurance?

4. Sharing Handbook and enrollment forms, I need ideas of what to put, what are like the main things to put in to protect me and that would avoid a situation later down the line
Here is a great article about whether or not being an LLC is right for you. http://tomcopelandblog.com/should-yo...ty-company-llc

As far as costs/prices to charge go, the best advice I've ever gotten is to decide what YOU need to financially survive and go from there. It's also a good idea to research what others maybe charging in your area, not so you can match their pricing but so that you have a starting point. It's important to set your rates according to what your community can support.

Some home owner's insurance companies allow a rider to be added to your policy others do not. Again, you have to research the requirements in your area. In my state we are not required to have liability insurance (I couldn't imagine not having it though) but I am required to tell parents if I do or don't have it.

As for handbooks and policies, we have tons of threads about that: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=handbooks

My state requires me to have specific written policies on the following:

A. the ages and numbers of children in care in the residence;
B. the hours and days of operation;
C. meals and snacks to be served;
D. labeling requirements for food brought from the child's home;
E. sleeping and rest arrangements;
F. nondiscrimination practices
G. policies for the care of ill children, disease notification procedures, immunizations, and medicine permission policies;
H. emergency, fire, and storm plans and the monthly fire drill log;
I. seat belt and transportation plans and field trip and transportation permission requirements;
J. fees;
K. termination and notice procedures;
L. plans for a helper and substitute for emergencies, vacations, or holidays;
M. the presence of pets in the residence;
N. a complete copy of parts 9502.0315 to 9502.0445;
O. insurance coverage; and
P. whether or not smoking is permitted in the residence during the hours children are in care.
kbeutiful 01:21 PM 03-30-2016
thank you, this is very helpful I will look into it
thrivingchildcarecom 03:31 PM 03-30-2016
Congratulations! So one of the best things you can do, in my opinion, would be to see if you have a local CCR. They usually keep record on average pricing for your specific demographic. They can also provide referrals to you once you are up and running. A CCR is an invaluable resource, especially to new providers.

I would be happy to share some of the forms I use. Just PM me with your email.

Good Luck!
Unregistered 05:14 PM 03-30-2016
Thank You so much, I will be looking into that asap, also I will be sending my email right now to you
Unregistered 07:49 AM 03-31-2016
Okay so I'm sure how to PM a message on here
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 03-31-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Okay so I'm sure how to PM a message on here
You have access to PM'ing features only if you are registered and logged in.

Unregistered users (even if they are members but logged out) do not have PM options.

When logged in, just hold your cursor over the persons user name and a drop down menu will give you the option to send a private message to that member.
Tags:daycare insurance, enrollment forms, fees, handbook, pricing, rates
Reply Up