Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Much Juice
Farmerswife 05:37 AM 01-05-2018
DCB 12 months was taken off of formula during Christmas break. A little back story. When he was 11 months, Mom and Dad wanted to slowly transition him to whole milk. Immediately I noticed issues; runny diapers, sore bottom, extra fussy, dry patches on his face, runny nose. I mentioned it to Mom and guess what..."he's teething"! I use to use that myself when I thought it was valid, but after 5 years of this, I hate that phrase!!! After 2 weeks of dealing with it, they came one day and said "We think he's allergic to the milk"...You think??? They took him off the milk and everything gradually cleared up and he was a happy little guy again. Fast forward to Christmas break, 12.5 months old, after talking with his Dr. they decided to gradually try milk again. She said he didn't do well again, I'm not sure of the actual symptoms since I was off. When they returned this Tuesday they brought V-8 juice and said to give that when I would have gave milk. They did say to "top it off" with water because it's pretty thick. Then Wednesday they brought apple juice also. So I gave him V-8 at breakfast and lunch and apple juice (I watered it down) for snack. Yesterday I only gave V-8 and water because he had some left over from lunch so he finished it off at snack. He has been super grumpy again, not napping well, and guess what...he's teething This morning within 1/2 hour of being here, he had a total blow out up to his hair, all over the carpet, toys, etc. and he's super grumpy. I'm about to call for pick up. So I guess my question is, have you ever heard of someone substituting V-8 for milk? This family is super sweet but kind of clueless. This little guy is miserable, but of course "he's teething"!
Cat Herder 05:47 AM 01-05-2018
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...ealpattern.pdf

I'd refuse to serve that. Period.

Ask them to provide soy or almond milk for a bit. It is possible it is table food, not milk, causing the issue. Until then, V8 is not meeting this childs' nutritional requirements.

Print the above resource and give a copy to parents. It will cut down the discussions and give a reasonable resource to decide on a better feeding plan for DCB.
Blackcat31 05:52 AM 01-05-2018
I would never replace anything necessary in a child's diet without the parent consulting the child's physician.

When something like milk or dairy is removed, the loss must be replaced with something comparable or better.

Vegetable juice as a substitute for dairy makes zero sense.
amberrose3dg 05:56 AM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would never replace anything necessary in a child's diet without the parent consulting the child's physician.

When something like milk or dairy is removed, the loss must be replaced with something comparable or better.

Vegetable juice as a substitute for dairy makes zero sense.

He will need a milk substitute and juice isn't it. Most doctors will tell you to give juice hardly if at all. They need to get their fruit/ vegetables from the foods themselves. Tell them you cannot serve that without a doctors note and I doubt they will have a doctor say that juice is a good replacement.
Farmerswife 06:10 AM 01-05-2018
Thank you for the quick responses. Dad said they are going to put him back on formula to see if that helps. I told them they need to talk to their Dr. We'll see what happens! Do you still serve formula to children over 1 if the parents request it? They provide it, if that makes a difference.
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 01-05-2018
Originally Posted by Farmerswife:
Thank you for the quick responses. Dad said they are going to put him back on formula to see if that helps. I told them they need to talk to their Dr. We'll see what happens! Do you still serve formula to children over 1 if the parents request it? They provide it, if that makes a difference.
Absolutely! There are many different types of formula made just for toddlers.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:14 AM 01-05-2018
I wouldn't substitute juice for milk, whether fruit or vegetable juice. I would have them make a doc trip to discuss the possible milk allergy and get advice from the doc on substitutes for cows milk. I would also give them my own printout of possible substitutions I am willing to serve, but juice is not on the list. He would get water and formula (if he still drinks some) till we figure out an appropriate substitute. My dd had similar issues, but so we tried goats milk and it was much better. Almond was another that worked, but she had only tried it sweetened, so she would not touch the unsweeted stuff. Goat milk was more similar in texture to cows milk, so she transitioned well to it, even with the stronger flavor. Anyway, I would talk with the parents and let them know that you need to reevaluate his diet and consult his doc.
Cat Herder 06:26 AM 01-05-2018
I serve it until age 2, in a cup, before snacks. I provide.

I like the personal reassurance that they are getting what they need. I serve it as an extra component.

I used to give pediasure but the amount of sugar, coloring and flavoring is no longer preferred. I did not get it at first, but now I do. I only saw that I was doing extra, not undermining my own goal.The goal is to get them in the habit of eating well without our intervention. We want them to choose milk and water. Offering something that tastes like a milkshake teaches the opposite of our overall goal. Sometimes the simplest concepts are the hardest to see.
HappyEverAfter 09:09 AM 01-05-2018
I actually just put it in my contract and handbook that unless a doctor has deemed it to be medically necessary I do not serve formula beyond 15mths and that at 13mths if they’re still taking formula that they need to have a conversation with me and let me know what their plan is to transition off the formula.
Ariana 09:16 AM 01-05-2018
Lots of milk alternatives with side by side comparable vitamins and minerals. Only issue is fat so you’d have ti supplement with healthy fats in other areas. Formula would also be great. V8 and apple juice is horrible! Goes to show how little people know about nutrition.

I don’t serve milk beyond 12 months. The parents can serve it at breakfast and dinner. During the day I only serve water.
Cat Herder 09:17 AM 01-05-2018
Do you still serve formula to children over 1 if the parents request it?
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...kids-worldwide

This is why I serve it to age 2. Kids can be very well fed and severely malnourished at the same time, too. I have seen dramatic changes in my typical "pop-tart and fast food" kids behavior and development over the last few years. I hope it helps the achievement gap down the road.
Tags:brain development, food program, guidelines, juice, meal patterns, nutrition, training courses, usda, usda food program
Reply Up