Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pacifiers
momofsix 03:52 PM 04-05-2011
I just read an article about pacifiers and SIDS. The AAP is now recoommending pacifiers for infants. Here is the quote that stood out:

"The policy to reduce the risk of SIDS recommends that pacifiers be used at naptime and bedtime for the first year, but not beyond, and not during the first month for breast-fed babies."

They are saying that they believe that sucking on a pacifier keeps a baby from slumbering so deeply that they can't rouse themselves.

I was never a huge fan of paci's, but one of my kids used one. I think I'll be using them for my infants now though if parents want to. Anything to reduce that SIDS risk.
momatheart 04:24 PM 04-05-2011
Can you post the link to the article?
daycare 04:25 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
Can you post the link to the article?
yes that would be interesting to read, I have a newborn starting in a few months.
Stacy214 05:40 PM 04-05-2011
I've heard this before and it does make sense. Most of my babies start out with paci's and even the hospital's are happy to provide them at birth (even for preemies). In my experience with them I honestly can say I haven't had any problems breaking them at say 1 or 2 years of age. (As long as the parents are on board too)
nannyde 05:54 PM 04-05-2011
I don't fully understand their position but it concerns me that they are not really able to assess the physical outcomes associated with infants not getting deep restorative sleep daily. I can see the pacifier as interupting their ability to sleep deeply.

I am also concerned about how realistic it is to get an infant who has had a pacifier for the first twelve months to adjust to living without it at that age mark. I can see widespread pervasive parental non-compliance with this part of the reccomendation. I would venture to say that MOST BY FAR would not be able to manage removing it at that age.

I've heard so many stories from parents who use pacifiers where their child is up many many times a night because of the pacifier. I wonder how realistic it is to manage a pacifier in a child's mouth in group care where that infant is sleeping in the same room with other kids.

It's a tough one. Whenever these recommendations come along there is a part of me that sees the future where they completely flip it upside down and reccomend the opposite. I've seen this SO many times in my thirty year career.

I also think parents who are going to use paci's have that established before the child even enters care. I think the ones who don't like it or have a kid that won't take one would not agree to having it be "mandatory" in child care.

I wonder too how thumb sucking comes into this theory.
littlemissmuffet 07:24 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't fully understand their position but it concerns me that they are not really able to assess the physical outcomes associated with infants not getting deep restorative sleep daily. I can see the pacifier as interupting their ability to sleep deeply.

I am also concerned about how realistic it is to get an infant who has had a pacifier for the first twelve months to adjust to living without it at that age mark. I can see widespread pervasive parental non-compliance with this part of the reccomendation. I would venture to say that MOST BY FAR would not be able to manage removing it at that age.

I've heard so many stories from parents who use pacifiers where their child is up many many times a night because of the pacifier. I wonder how realistic it is to manage a pacifier in a child's mouth in group care where that infant is sleeping in the same room with other kids.

It's a tough one. Whenever these recommendations come along there is a part of me that sees the future where they completely flip it upside down and reccomend the opposite. I've seen this SO many times in my thirty year career.

I also think parents who are going to use paci's have that established before the child even enters care. I think the ones who don't like it or have a kid that won't take one would not agree to having it be "mandatory" in child care.

I wonder too how thumb sucking comes into this theory.
Wondering the same thing...
also would like to read the artical in full!
MarinaVanessa 08:02 PM 04-05-2011
I've heard of this also but I was told by the nurses at the hospital (the day my son was born) that it kept the airway open. This is the first I hear about the sleep thing.
Meeko 05:53 AM 04-06-2011
I personally hate pacifiers. They fast become nothing more than a bad habit.

I had 4 kids and never, ever put a pacifier in their mouths. They were also all born in the days of "always have your baby sleep on it's tummy!" I guess it's a miracle they survived!!!
momofsix 06:01 AM 04-06-2011
Here is the actual study from the AAP.

I don't see anyone making pacifiers mandatory in daycare though

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...ics;116/5/1245
Lilbutterflie 06:36 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I think if the parents decide to use a pacifier, the age of one year is a perfect time to remove it. I believe it's at this age that they start to grow REALLY attached to it, and if allowed to continue to use it, it just gets harder and harder to take away. My son was in group care as an infant with up to six infants at a time. They allowed paci's; but only used them to comfort the infant or during sleep. If the infant was active and happy, the paci was stored in a plastic case that hung on the wall which was like little boxes with hinged doors for each paci. It was actually a wonderful little contraption!

When he turned a year, he moved into the next room with the 1-2 year olds. They still had the paci holders and still allowed paci's. But I noticed it was never being used. Shortly after he turned one, I asked one of the caregivers if he'd been using it, and she said he hadn't needed it. They simply stopped offering it to him, and said he never had trouble getting to sleep or needing it at all. It was out of sight, since it was hung pretty high on the wall. I was still using it at home at the time, but the daycare had been successful in removing it entirely during the day. I took the paci home and he never needed it there again!
momofsix 06:47 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I think if the parents decide to use a pacifier, the age of one year is a perfect time to remove it. I believe it's at this age that they start to grow REALLY attached to it, and if allowed to continue to use it, it just gets harder and harder to take away. My son was in group care as an infant with up to six infants at a time. They allowed paci's; but only used them to comfort the infant or during sleep. If the infant was active and happy, the paci was stored in a plastic case that hung on the wall which was like little boxes with hinged doors for each paci. It was actually a wonderful little contraption!

When he turned a year, he moved into the next room with the 1-2 year olds. They still had the paci holders and still allowed paci's. But I noticed it was never being used. Shortly after he turned one, I asked one of the caregivers if he'd been using it, and she said he hadn't needed it. They simply stopped offering it to him, and said he never had trouble getting to sleep or needing it at all. It was out of sight, since it was hung pretty high on the wall. I was still using it at home at the time, but the daycare had been successful in removing it entirely during the day. I took the paci home and he never needed it there again!
I agree.
It's when people use paci's all day long, whenever baby makes a peep, that it becomes really hard to take it away. They are recommending at nap/night time, they don't say anything at all about sticking it in to keep baby quiet all day long. They even say NOT to put it back in the babies mouth if it falls out.
It drives me crazy when I see a 3 year old "talking" with a pacifier in their mouth (I know it shouldn't bother me what other people do with their kids, but this one does!)
Stacy214 06:49 AM 04-06-2011
Yea, I would only allow at naptime. Right now I just have one baby that uses it to sooth, she is just 6 mos and at a year the mother has already said it will be gone. The rest were broke of it at 1 and 2 yrs... I do agree that it's gross to be walking around with one , yuck.
daysofelijah 06:51 AM 04-06-2011
My 2 paci kids both had their pacis from day 1 to 2.5 years. No problems bf'ing. I don't see why they say to take it away at one year, but I can see the benefit for preventing SIDS somewhat.

I generally take away dck's pacis at 12 months except for nap. They don't seem to need it during the day here. I wasn't quite so diligent with my own kids though of course.
momofsix 06:55 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
My 2 paci kids both had their pacis from day 1 to 2.5 years. No problems bf'ing. I don't see why they say to take it away at one year, but I can see the benefit for preventing SIDS somewhat.

I generally take away dck's pacis at 12 months except for nap. They don't seem to need it during the day here. I wasn't quite so diligent with my own kids though of course.
There is a link to pacifier use and ear infections in those older than one year.
ninosqueridos 07:02 AM 04-06-2011
I suppose I was lucky my kids never took pacifiers (not that I didn't try lol). I've only had to break two dcks from pacis, and with the dcps' help it was not an issue at 12mo of age for both.

I was under the impression the AAP frowned upon the use of paci because of how they could push teeth out?! Interesting new recommendation.
SilverSabre25 07:05 AM 04-06-2011
I can barely understand the point of pacis all day long...IME (that is, with dcks only 'cause my DD never used one) they quickly learn to clamp their gums down around it and cry anyway, soooo....what's the point?

I take the paci away except for naptime within just a few weeks of an infant being here. Most recent infant I had, she barely even fussed about it and went happily about her business--a couple times at pick-up mom would spot that dcg didn't have a paci in her mouth and practically flip out: "Oh no, dcg, where's your paci?! Quick, we need a paci Miss Silver!" and I would calmly tell her that the paci is in the diaper bag like always. DCG wouldn't even be fussing and mom would be flipping out. I think it ends up being more for the parent than for the kid.
daysofelijah 09:40 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
There is a link to pacifier use and ear infections in those older than one year.
Oh I must have missed that. That's funny though, the only one of my three children that has ever had an ear infection is the one that didn't use a paci.
rjskids 08:20 PM 04-06-2011
I'm a fan of paci's. I really think both my babies were happier babies because of it. I'm just confused at the theory behind the study cause both my children spit out the pacifier once they were in a deep sleep. So to me it defeats the SIDS purpose.
Unregistered 03:04 PM 07-11-2011
How Binky Butler was born.
The Binky Butler concept was developed when many of our friends became new mothers, and their chief complaint was the ensuing chaos when the pacifier fell from their babies’ mouths. Driving, working on the computer, or simple household tasks became a nightmare with an inconsolable baby. We brain-stormed a way to make our friends’ lives easier, and the Binky Butler was “born”.

It is lightweight, functional and safe. Easy to pack and carry. New and seasoned moms alike will wonder where you got it, and will want to get one too!

Enjoying your baby should be your top priority in the first two years of life, so let the Binky Butler do its job and keep your infant’s pacifier in place.
No lost or dropped pacifiers.
The Binky Butler is the only product of its kind on the market today. The Binky Butler performs a valuable task that many busy moms aren’t able to do: it holds the pacifier in place at the mouth, so your infant no longer loses their pacifier.

But did you also know that we took great care to find the right material for your peace of mind and your child's safety. Each Binky Butler is made of BPA and Phthalate free materials and a latex free medical grade silicone.

We love to hear from satisfied Moms who have found a helping hand in the simple, easy-to-use Binky Butler. If you have a testimonial to share, please send us an email and a picture of your Binky Butler in action!
Simple. Genius. Tell me more.
The Binky Butler is a hands-free pacifier holder, designed to hold the pacifier near, not in, your baby’s mouth. It clips to a carseat, crib, swing or stroller.

There are no strings or straps to get tangled around baby’s neck. It is made of flexible soft foam strong enough to hold the pacifier in place when you are unable to.

The Binky Butler is not meant to replace valuable face time with your baby – it is meant to be used as a tool to help parents free up their hands to perform the many tasks needed to care for a family – driving, typing on the computer, or working from home.
sharlan 03:28 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The Binky Butler concept was developed when many of our friends became new mothers, and their chief complaint was the ensuing chaos when the pacifier fell from their babies’ mouths. Driving, working on the computer, or simple household tasks became a nightmare with an inconsolable baby. We brain-stormed a way to make our friends’ lives easier, and the Binky Butler was “born”.

It is lightweight, functional and safe. Easy to pack and carry. New and seasoned moms alike will wonder where you got it, and will want to get one too!

Enjoying your baby should be your top priority in the first two years of life, so let the Binky Butler do its job and keep your infant’s pacifier in place.
The Binky Butler is the only product of its kind on the market today. The Binky Butler performs a valuable task that many busy moms aren’t able to do: it holds the pacifier in place at the mouth, so your infant no longer loses their pacifier.

But did you also know that we took great care to find the right material for your peace of mind and your child's safety. Each Binky Butler is made of BPA and Phthalate free materials and a latex free medical grade silicone.

We love to hear from satisfied Moms who have found a helping hand in the simple, easy-to-use Binky Butler. If you have a testimonial to share, please send us an email and a picture of your Binky Butler in action!
The Binky Butler is a hands-free pacifier holder, designed to hold the pacifier near, not in, your baby’s mouth. It clips to a carseat, crib, swing or stroller.

There are no strings or straps to get tangled around baby’s neck. It is made of flexible soft foam strong enough to hold the pacifier in place when you are unable to.

The Binky Butler is not meant to replace valuable face time with your baby – it is meant to be used as a tool to help parents free up their hands to perform the many tasks needed to care for a family – driving, typing on the computer, or working from home.
I thought this was a joke, until I looked it up. All I can say is OMG!

I've had less than 10 babies use binkies (pacis). Binkies are for nap time only. My 2 boys would share them, gross I know. I would constantly take them and wash them in the dishwasher. I was so glad when the eldest stopped, stopped so many colds between the two.
nannyde 03:32 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I'll pass this over to Crystal.
Cat Herder 03:45 PM 07-11-2011
Maybe unregistered is talking about their use with "Adult" babies??

You know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas....
SilverSabre25 04:19 PM 07-11-2011
I have a feeling that unregistered is actually a spammy advertisement...
Meeko 01:52 PM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
I suppose I was lucky my kids never took pacifiers (not that I didn't try lol). I've only had to break two dcks from pacis, and with the dcps' help it was not an issue at 12mo of age for both.

I was under the impression the AAP frowned upon the use of paci because of how they could push teeth out?! Interesting new recommendation.
My mother is a retired dental surgeon assistant and spent her days repairing the nasties that regular dentists would send their way.

She told me from when I was about 12 years old that if I ever used pacifiers with my own kids she's disown me!

One of her pet peeves was so called "orthodontic" pacifiers. There's no such thing. A child who sucks regularly on a paci WILL push their teeth forward. It's inevitable. It's repeated tongue trusting pressure behind the teeth. It works just like braces do. She would always tell moms to get rid of the darn thing as soon as they possible could.

The parent also becomes addicted to them. Baby makes a peeps? Plug it.
Tags:pacifier, sids
Reply Up