Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providers Financial Need=DCP Not Following Policy
NeedaVaca 08:01 AM 02-12-2014
I have been so sad to read SO many posts lately about how parents are completely disrespecting providers! Late pick ups, rude comments, bringing sick children, dropping kids off on a providers scheduled day off. All because providers feel financially they can't afford to term.

There are ways to make it on less income, save and set money aside when you are full so you have cushion for terming or when numbers are down. Cutting back on things you don't need, couponing, selling things on ebay. I don't know...there is just no way I could allow someone to come into my house and do these things.

Does anyone else have suggestions for these people that feel like financially there is nothing they can do so in turn they let the parents walk all over them? I just don't know how long I would last in this business if I were dealing with issues like that.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I have been so sad to read SO many posts lately about how parents are completely disrespecting providers! Late pick ups, rude comments, bringing sick children, dropping kids off on a providers scheduled day off. All because providers feel financially they can't afford to term.

There are ways to make it on less income, save and set money aside when you are full so you have cushion for terming or when numbers are down. Cutting back on things you don't need, couponing, selling things on ebay. I don't know...there is just no way I could allow someone to come into my house and do these things.

Does anyone else have suggestions for these people that feel like financially there is nothing they can do so in turn they let the parents walk all over them? I just don't know how long I would last in this business if I were dealing with issues like that.
I agree Needavaca. There are some posts I simply don't respond to because the provider isn't willing to lose that income.

If a provider is allowing herself to be held financially hostage by a family there really is NOTHING that can be advised or done about it.

I offer my sympathies but that's all I can do.

I totally understand NEEDING the money but like you said, there are so many other things I would cut first before I would allow a family to be rude, disrespectful or outright mean to me. Especially in my home.

There is NO amount of money in the world that would make it worth it to me to keep a rude, disrespectful client.

Once I moved past that, my job, my stress levels and my life in general improved greatly.
Dsquared 08:14 AM 02-12-2014
It is a tough spot to be in. I started the daycare because my husbands business no longer was bringing in steady income. Four year laters and here we a still are. I never thought I would still be doing daycare. I am basically the sole provider. I wanted to be able to stay home with my two kids. I will not except to go out and get a full time job while my husband becomes Mr.Mom. When I know I am going to lose a child I don't sleep at night worrying about replacing them. I am currently going through it right now. I do let parents get away with things for fear of losing them, and fear that we won't be able to pay our bills. I don't know any other way around it. It is hard to put money aside when you are living paycheck to paycheck.
MarinaVanessa 08:17 AM 02-12-2014
We cut down on a lot of "wants" when we were having trouble with finances.

Gym memberships
House phone
cable
stopped eating out
couponed
shopped at discount/bulk stores
Planned meals in advance and made a grocery list when shopping, stuck to it
Bought canned/frozen foods on sale
cut-down on shower times/cut down from daily showers to every other day
Kids showered instead of baths
Put a gallon of water in the toilet tank to reduce amount of water used
Washed only full loads
Line-dried clothes instead of using dryer
Slowly converted from regular bulbs to LED
Made cleaners out of cheaper household ingredients instead of buying commercial ones
Used cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers
Didn't renew magazine subscriptions
Unplugged appliances/electronics when not in use (most continue to use up power even when turned off if they are plugged in)
Household "light's out" curfew (8:30pm for kids, 10pm for adults)
Didn't use lights during the day between 7:30am-6pm
Lowered the thermostat
Lowered the temperature for the water heater
Cleaned out house/garage and had a yard sale/CL anything we didn't need
Temporarily offered earlier/later child care times to get a little more income (at a prime rate)
grew a potted veggie/herb garden

That's what I can think of from the top of my head
Crazy8 08:19 AM 02-12-2014
I just posted about this to one of those posts before reading this. I absolutely agree!!
I think for some the thing is they see/know they are just making it on their current income, there isn't much extra so they feel they NEED every penny of their income. Cutting a kid that is $100-150/week (or more for some of us) feels like it would kill us financially. And for some it may, but for many of us there are A LOT of areas we spend in that we can cut back on.

One of the biggest things that helped me a few years ago was Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. Wow did it open my eyes to how much of my money was just disappearing!!!

A few months ago I lost about $200/week of my income, I was devastated that I wouldn't be able to get by. And then in Jan. I lost another $100 due to a family going part time during maternity leave. I decided I needed to go back to the Dave Ramsey ways I had swayed away from a little and started using cash envelopes again. Are things tighter now on less money? Of course. But I am still feeding my family and still doing most of the things we need to do. In 2 months I have a new baby starting so my income will go back up and I know that all that money is really "extra" to what I can survive on now and I'm actually going to try to just bank that check and keep living as frugally as we are right now.

I highly recommend the Dave Ramsey program to EVERYONE, even if you feel you are fine financially. And as for "needing" those families, I can't even put into the words the weight lifted off of you when you say goodbye to a problem family.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
And as for "needing" those families, I can't even put into the words the weight lifted off of you when you say goodbye to a problem family.
That is the decision right there.

What is worth more to you...sanity/no stress or the income?

I can't and won't put a price on my mental well being.

If I lived in a mansion but was stressed out and pressured everyday would I be happier than living in a cardboard box and being happy?

THAT is the choice each of us has to make and for each of us it is a personal decision. There is NO one right or wrong answer. Only what's right for YOU.

I think MV did a good job listing things that they were able to cut down on and live without.

Maybe when being faced with losing a family providers need to make a pros and cons list to really get an idea of the big picture.
TwinKristi 09:05 AM 02-12-2014
Personally, I had no choice at one point and all my clients but 1 left for a variety of reasons. One went to preschool 5 days instead of 3, one went to JrPreschool to be at the same site as his sister making d/o & p/u easier, one mom decided to be a SAHM when they wanted to increase her hours and responsibility and she didn't want to work more hours or weekends. So within 3 mos I lost 2 FT & 1 PT client and right before the holidays. I was advertising before I even got their notice as I was hoping to term one of them for non-compliance of my sick policy. Then once the reality of losing 2/3 of my income hit me. I was kinda freaking out. There was some divine interventions financially (basically the income I lost those 3 mos appeared and kept us afloat) and then I was able to fill 1 spot with a PT DKG at the FT price. I also increased the days of one client at a discount and it really changed things for the better. I'm still trying to fill 1 spot but things are much better already. I accept drop-ins to fill in the time, I work at another daycare when she needs me and I'm doing what I can to increase business.
Allowing a family to treat you poorly and disrespect you only because you need the money doesn't work for too long. What happens when they leave anyway? Then you're really screwed. You've allowed yourself to be treated poorly, your motivations have changed and you won't feel proud of yourself or your daycare.
Looking back I may have had money but I was really unhappy with things and felt trapped. I had a family I cared about who paid well and was reliable but broke rules and felt like they could for whatever reason. I allowed certain rules to be broken when I felt guilty or like I could help them by doing so only to have it be the new way to do things. It sucked. I have learned a lot in the first year plus and I know how to handle things better and this forum has as well! It's taught me what is and isn't ok! Don't allow people to treat you poorly and they won't. If you find families who treat you professionally it works better for you and for them.
Cat Herder 09:15 AM 02-12-2014
Sadly it seems to be a common theme here lately.

I sense this will continue as the bigger political picture seems stacked to phase out private care altogether.

I have been planning ahead by putting $$ aside in an Emergency Fund that equates to 3 months salary currently.

I started it in case of disability/illness/Life in general but am seeing the value for other reasons, now.

This is a good start:
Attached: 52 week challenge.jpg (42.7 KB) 
daycarediva 09:36 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Sadly it seems to be a common theme here lately.

I sense this will continue as the bigger political picture seems stacked to phase out private care altogether.

I have been planning ahead by putting $$ aside in an Emergency Fund that equates to 3 months salary currently.

I started it in case of disability/illness/Life in general but am seeing the value for other reasons, now.

This is a good start:
I'm doing the same thing!!! Yay for savings!

I save ALL of my SA income, late fees, drop in care fees. I don't even budget that it's there.

Dh and I also learned from our parents mistakes-

we do NOT use CCs. We HAVE them, but we use them to save a % and pay it off. Essentially, if we can't buy it in cash, we don't buy it at all.

we live within our means. Our monthly bills can reasonably be paid on one income.

I drive a ridiculously old car. I do NOT care what people think. We make double car payments when we can and extra towards our house monthly.

We have 4 kids-thrift stores, hand me downs, garage sales and craigslist lots. My dd loves platos closet and thrift store shopping. I buy sneakers, socks and underwear new. My kids are VERY well dressed.

I have been VERY blessed with good enrollment, but dhs business is up and down. He had a really bad year this year, but we are still ok because of all of that. ^

I will be honest, I HATE terming and avoid it/put it off more than I should. I am term crazy this year. Getting my sanity back, and loving my job (and LIFE!) again.
Crazy8 09:46 AM 02-12-2014
I am doing the 52 week money challenge as well! Only looking it over and seeing those high amounts every week in Nov/Dec. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle that and instead I am doing it "bingo" style. I randomly choose an amount from $1-52 to put in my jar every week and cross that amount off. This week I made an extra $90 for taking a kid 2 extra days so I chose that to be a high dollar week for my jar. I am even a few weeks ahead!

But really, a lot of what MV posted is part of the Dave Ramsey plan - you basically do everything you can to cut down on expenses, sell anything you can on ebay, craigslist and all the newer garage sale facebook pages, etc. There are so many ways to make up for lost daycare income and remember, it would just be temporary until you can get a new client!!!
Play Care 10:20 AM 02-12-2014
I have been trying to find a second source of income that does NOT involve tons of work on my part. I just don't have it in me after my long work week, plus I don't want it to interfere with my family time.

In my case it has nothing to do with my current dcf's - though a cushion would be nice. I've tried consigning, garage sales, etc.
Moppetland 10:24 AM 02-12-2014
I closed down my FCC and started working in a preschool. I realized that I really missed my business and the children I made a difference with and just opened back up last June.

The reason why I closed in the first place was because I was burnt out. Why I was burnt out?

1. Having to go toe-to-toe with disrespectful parents due to them not following my policies and daring me to make them follow them.

2. Parents "forgetting" to pay me, but dropped off their children anyway.

3. Parents always late picking-up, no matter how much money they paid in late fees.

I felt that I needed to go through this stress to keep a decent income. But when my doctor told me that I need to quit this business, that's when I really knew that the stress was wreaking havoc on my body.

Well, this time around, I will follow my policies to the T and won't hesitate to terminate. I don't care if I get down to one DCK, as long as I'm stress free and feeling good about my decision on why I had to terminate, it doesn't matter if my income went down. I always tell people that God has my back and He takes care of me.

It's not worth it. You will get other DCKs down the line, but if you are unhealthy, suffering heart attacks and strokes due to having to tussle with this new generation of parents, then you won't have a business anyway because you'll be incapacitated.

I'm different this time around. When I interview parents I tell them up front what I won't tolerate and what will get them terminated immediately. I let them know that this isn't a "babysitting club" and they will be very satisfied with how I will care for their children if they work with me and follow all policies.

Hang in there my fellow child care providers. Regardless, people will keep having babies, and we will always be needed.
jenn 12:30 PM 02-12-2014
I understand both sides of this.

My daughter has health issues and we have medical bills running out of our ears. We have cut out everything we can cut out without being miserable. We don't waste money, but we do use a small amount for "fun".

I need 5 DCKs to make our budget work. I try to stay full with 6 DCKs so that if someone leaves or I have to term, we aren't in the hole, just don't have "extra". In my area, it can sometimes take a month or longer to find a replacement kid.

If I had a waiting list or did not depend on the income, there are families I would terminate immediately. However, when you know it will most likely take a while to replace the kid, it changes things. Sometimes you do have to temporarily put up with them while looking for someone else.

I do think there is a cut off though. I will put up with some kid/parent drama in order to keep the income. There is a point though that enough is enough. We would eat beans and rice for a month before I would allow a parent to tell me how to run my program. I will allow them to argue and fuss a bit, but once they've crossed the line, they are done.
Play Care 01:41 PM 02-12-2014
I also want to add - this is the one forum I frequent where terming a child is the answer to a lot of questions. There have been times I've wondered how some of the providers here stay in business with the terming left and right that they claim to do... I agree that blatant disrespect for a provider by a dcp is a reason for immediate term, but generally I do like to try work other issues out before throwing in the towel - with that may come multiple posts questioning my sanity but eventually things work out (either we get over the hump, or the child has to move on) I live in a small town and I do need to be careful about terming willy nilly. That doesn't mean I won't, it just means a lot of thought and consideration will go into the decision.
TwinKristi 01:57 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I also want to add - this is the one forum I frequent where terming a child is the answer to a lot of questions. There have been times I've wondered how some of the providers here stay in business with the terming left and right that they claim to do... I agree that blatant disrespect for a provider by a dcp is a reason for immediate term, but generally I do like to try work other issues out before throwing in the towel - with that may come multiple posts questioning my sanity but eventually things work out (either we get over the hump, or the child has to move on) I live in a small town and I do need to be careful about terming willy nilly. That doesn't mean I won't, it just means a lot of thought and consideration will go into the decision.
I agree, I have noticed that's the answer to like 90% of the questions/concerns on here
It really takes a lot for me to want to term a family, and I've been to that point before twice and luckily it resolved itself and I didn't have to. But if I did it would be for a darn good reason and well thought out for both my family and business. Some of the disrespect I've read on here that providers didn't term for would make me term. That's one thing I will NOT put up with. Rude, disrespectful people will not remain clients.
Crazy8 02:12 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I do know what you mean, obviously when someone posts about a problem family the ideal situation would be to replace them. BUT I think its more the posts where people are complaining, complaining, complaining but then saying there is nothing they can do because they "need" the money. Many times it really just boils down to if you can't respect your own rules how can you expect anyone else to???

I have had situations where I've had to grin and bear it with a child or family, I think we all have. But when you have a flat out miserable experience and you are dreading each and every day you need to really consider how badly you need that particular income.
TwinKristi 02:29 PM 02-12-2014
I do know what you mean, obviously when someone posts about a problem family the ideal situation would be to replace them. BUT I think its more the posts where people are complaining, complaining, complaining but then saying there is nothing they can do because they "need" the money. Many times it really just boils down to if you can't respect your own rules how can you expect anyone else to???

I have had situations where I've had to grin and bear it with a child or family, I think we all have. But when you have a flat out miserable experience and you are dreading each and every day you need to really consider how badly you need that particular income.
Not to mention the quality of care you can provide for your clients when you're miserable and truly unhappy due to ONE family. I realized how anxious I was when one family left. I realized how uptight it made me and how I was afraid to stray from this mom's "plans" for her child. She left me with 2 pages of instructions (none discussed prior to starting) about absolutely NO TV EVER, that he needs to be rocked to sleep and then laid down, how she would be taking his linens weekly to wash them herself, that he's really interested in electrical outlets and to make sure he doesn't get near them... Just weird stuff. Then she started with packing his food every.single.day even though she signed up for the food program. Bringing his own personal "organic milk" and always made sure to take home his sippy cup because God forbid I wash it... he'll probably get sick! Once she texted me at like 6:30 because he had a little mark on his head and her husband said it must have happened here! I think he was too scared to admit it happened while he had him because I KNOW it didn't happen here. I always notified her of even minor booboos she would probably never even know about if I didn't tell her. Why wouldn't I tell her if he got a head injury that left a mark and knew she'd see? she would show up randomly to get him, which is fine by me, but I know she probably thought she'd catch me doing x,y,z wrong but never did! She also lied to my provider friend who she interviewed as well and after interviewing on Monday told her she had already found someone else. She didn't even call me til Wed and didn't come by until Friday. She didn't even commit to me for a few more days. I didn't even know that until after they committed and I excitedly told her I had a new baby starting. He had a very unusual name so she was like when I told her. Mom told me she interviewed every single person with openings on the R&R list... I was proud when she first told me but by the time she left I was like WHY ME?? I was so relaxed and happy after she left, even though financially it was crappy. But I realized she was controlling me and my business and policies and it sucked!
Babyluver21 03:14 PM 02-12-2014
I think that sometimes parents are MORE prone to leave if they DON'T RESPECT YOU.

I used to let parents walk on me the first few years I did DC. I was afraid of losing them, being badmouthed, not getting other clients, and of course, finances.

The thing is this: I noticed the parents that left the MOST were the ones that I didn't "enforce my contract" on. I would allow late payments. Parent would leave w/ money owed. I'd rather be STRICT and get my money up front and if they leave, at least I didn't work for free

When parents would be late picking up, I'd be late for my licensing classes, appts, etc; things that sometimes even cost me money! I never enforced my late fees, so again, working for FREE. Same when I opened the door before my start time.

The thing is, I did so many hours of free work because of my fear of losing the client/income, that I actually lost MORE income! It was very stressful.

Then one day, I woke up and started enforcing rules. I got a whole new group of parents/kids and for 4-5 years, I did GREAT (That is until they ALL moved away due to military or one got a job in another city). ONCE in awhile a parent would be late, and I would charge my late fee, UNLESS they had duty. I also noticed when I charged the same rate everyone else was, I kept GOOD clients, vs when I charged $100 per week. When that group left, and the economy was bad and I wasn't getting calls, that was hard. Then my twins started Kinder and I went back to work FT and am in nursing school also. I think what I do now is MUCH MUCH harder than what I did doing daycare, however, I get paid a steady paycheck, I only put up with any one person for just a few minutes at a time, and do really boring work for very good pay.

Would I ever do daycare again? Probably not, but if I did, I would always stick with my contract and enforce my rules, because I guarantee, the parents that wanna leave anyway, WILL leave...so why give concessions to those who want to take advantage?
Cat Herder 03:42 PM 02-12-2014
I think its more the posts where people are complaining, complaining, complaining but then saying there is nothing they can do because they "need" the money. Many times it really just boils down to if you can't respect your own rules how can you expect anyone else to???
That is what it boils down to, IMHO.
LeslieG 04:13 PM 02-12-2014
I totally empathize with providers that feel forced to put up with inconsiderate parents because of income. I was (and kind of still am) in that position. While I am usually pretty fortunate with the families I work with, there was a time (which was 2 years ago but still hurts a little) when I had a dcd call me during the day yelling and cursing me out. I was in tears and REALLY wanted to term them, but could not financially afford to.

Thanks for the good thread!
TheGoodLife 04:32 PM 02-12-2014
I am doing the 52 week money challenge as well! Only looking it over and seeing those high amounts every week in Nov/Dec. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle that and instead I am doing it "bingo" style. I randomly choose an amount from $1-52 to put in my jar every week and cross that amount off. This week I made an extra $90 for taking a kid 2 extra days so I chose that to be a high dollar week for my jar. I am even a few weeks ahead!
I do something similar, but I alternate beginning to end. So week 1 $1, week 2 $52, week 3 $2, week 4 $51, ect. It's a great way to save up cash!
Laurel 05:19 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That is what it boils down to, IMHO.
That and too many rules. I think anyone that complains a lot needs to make sure that their rules are reasonable and that there aren't too many of them.

From what I hear around here sometimes there must be some that have 50 pages of rules at least! I don't even see how parents can remember them let alone follow them sometimes. I often hear the complaint that parents don't read the contract. I wouldn't either if I had to read a multi page contract and 30 plus pages of a handbook.

Just adding that to the conversation.

Laurel
LaLa1923 06:09 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
That and too many rules. I think anyone that complains a lot needs to make sure that their rules are reasonable and that there aren't too many of them.

From what I hear around here sometimes there must be some that have 50 pages of rules at least! I don't even see how parents can remember them let alone follow them sometimes. I often hear the complaint that parents don't read the contract. I wouldn't either if I had to read a multi page contract and 30 plus pages of a handbook.

Just adding that to the conversation. uch

Laurel
I have a 10 page handbook and 1 page contract. I don't think we'd even need them if parents just used good common sense. But unfortunately there are those that will use you or cause something to happen that will make you add it to your handbook. I have a parent now that asks....is that in writing??? wth
Lucy 06:15 PM 02-12-2014
I've heard of people do it backwards also. That way it starts to feel easier and easier as the year goes on, and you see the money rise a lot faster.
Annalee 06:24 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I have a 10 page handbook and 1 page contract. I don't think we'd even need them if parents just used good common sense. But unfortunately there are those that will use you or cause something to happen that will make you add it to your handbook. I have a parent now that asks....is that in writing??? wth
I have learned through the years that my eyes will reflect my answer to a "silly" question from a parent. They usually answer themselves with the answer they know I would give. It really works!
KidGrind 03:16 AM 02-13-2014
Most of our goals are to provide for ourselves and/or our families whether it is for necessities or luxuries.

Too many providers allow fear of losing a client hold them hostage. Most parents aren’t dumb.

They KNOW they’re kids are sick.
They KNOW they’re being disrespectful.
They KNOW they’re late.
They KNOW they won’t or couldn’t do what we do day in & out. (One too many can’t handle 1 or 2 kids effectively.)

Due to a move across country, my career as a FCC Provider was put on an extended hold. My finances were SHOT after 10 months + of no income. When I reopened last year, I NEEDED CHILDREN in care.

I STILL interviewed.
I STILL went with the right fit.
I STILL declined or redirected parents.

1 infant enrolled full-time creating some financial relief. Infant 2 came about a month later. Now I could buy some moo moos that fit. Toddler enrolled. Life became really comfortable again which means for my family beyond basic needs. Recently a part-timer enrolled in January and another full-timer in February.

I don’t know the specifics of everyone's situation or area. What I will share is I work close with another provider. She is a quality provider & takes excellent care of the children. Yet, she is RULED by the dollar. Parents are rude to her. Parents dose & drop. Parents drop off their kids early. Parents pick up their kids late. Parents complain about her when they don’t get their way. I won’t EVEN take her DCKs as drop-ins. 2 of her families interviewed with me. One signed a contract with her and two weeks later schedules an interview with me. We interviewed. Once I told her my closing time and I don’t want her one minute late, she almost ran out my door. I giggled! Yet, the other DCP is racking up hundreds of dollars in late fees and is MISERABLE. The other DCM who interviewed with me wanted to go with me. She pushed for me to remain open later. I told her absolutely not! My couch time is sacred to me. She went with the other DCP who agreed to “work with her”. Two months later….a big fallout and the parent bashing her. It was constant early drop offs, late drop offs, and late pick ups. DCM dropped the DCK off vomitting on her day off. When asked to pick up her ill child, she requested a refund. Yep, I could’ve had those wonderful DCFs in my home. I sure did miss out on the drama.

I am not special. I just listen & watch people. I think we all have the ability to see trouble coming. I admit some DCFs are skilled in hiding it for a short period of time. It’s just sad to me that some DCPs mute or ignore their ability to avoid chaos for the dollar. Maybe some DCPs enjoy the chaos & drama. I don’t know.

None of my DCPs knew of my financial situation. I do not demonstrate fear of losing them by allowing ANY OF THEM to disrespect me continually. I do NOT address a situation or parent with fear of losing them or income. I definitely don’t think, “Did I make them mad, will they term?” If anything I think, “DCM/D can be mad if they want to be. I know they better get it together, term or get termed.” The song ‘Hit the Road Jack’ plays in my head.

Termination isn’t my first instinct. It’s my second. I don’t want chronic issues with a DCF. Either they can respect our business arrangement or they can move on. I hold up my end of the agreement. I expect them to do the same.
Laurel 04:26 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I have a two and a half page contract and no handbook. I just tell people things and if they have a big problem with it they can always leave. My provider friend has one page of Guidelines and no handbook.

I feel like if one has a lot of written down things then they kind of paint themselves into a corner. If my parents don't like something first I try to compromise but if it is something I feel stongly about I just say "Well I'm sorry you feel that way but that is my rule here." I rarely have anyone question really as all I really require is the basics. Pay me, don't send more than a mildly ill child, come on time, etc. Once a parent starts I don't even think I ever use the word 'contract' with them. I just address it "as we have as problem" so this is what has to happen for things to be right kind of attitude.

If they would say "Is it written in your contract?" I'd say no but I can't think of everything that could possibly come up so I'm just telling you that Junior is too sick to stay or little Sally can't wear those tiny barrettes because baby Joey likes to put them in his mouth or I need to take the day off but I'm giving you plenty of notice, etc.

It works here.

Laurel
Shell 04:45 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Most of our goals are to provide for ourselves and/or our families whether it is for necessities or luxuries.

Too many providers allow fear of losing a client hold them hostage. Most parents aren’t dumb.

They KNOW they’re kids are sick.
They KNOW they’re being disrespectful.
They KNOW they’re late.
They KNOW they won’t or couldn’t do what we do day in & out. (One too many can’t handle 1 or 2 kids effectively.)

Due to a move across country, my career as a FCC Provider was put on an extended hold. My finances were SHOT after 10 months + of no income. When I reopened last year, I NEEDED CHILDREN in care.

I STILL interviewed.
I STILL went with the right fit.
I STILL declined or redirected parents.

1 infant enrolled full-time creating some financial relief. Infant 2 came about a month later. Now I could buy some moo moos that fit. Toddler enrolled. Life became really comfortable again which means for my family beyond basic needs. Recently a part-timer enrolled in January and another full-timer in February.

I don’t know the specifics of everyone's situation or area. What I will share is I work close with another provider. She is a quality provider & takes excellent care of the children. Yet, she is RULED by the dollar. Parents are rude to her. Parents dose & drop. Parents drop off their kids early. Parents pick up their kids late. Parents complain about her when they don’t get their way. I won’t EVEN take her DCKs as drop-ins. 2 of her families interviewed with me. One signed a contract with her and two weeks later schedules an interview with me. We interviewed. Once I told her my closing time and I don’t want her one minute late, she almost ran out my door. I giggled! Yet, the other DCP is racking up hundreds of dollars in late fees and is MISERABLE. The other DCM who interviewed with me wanted to go with me. She pushed for me to remain open later. I told her absolutely not! My couch time is sacred to me. She went with the other DCP who agreed to “work with her”. Two months later….a big fallout and the parent bashing her. It was constant early drop offs, late drop offs, and late pick ups. DCM dropped the DCK off vomitting on her day off. When asked to pick up her ill child, she requested a refund. Yep, I could’ve had those wonderful DCFs in my home. I sure did miss out on the drama.

I am not special. I just listen & watch people. I think we all have the ability to see trouble coming. I admit some DCFs are skilled in hiding it for a short period of time. It’s just sad to me that some DCPs mute or ignore their ability to avoid chaos for the dollar. Maybe some DCPs enjoy the chaos & drama. I don’t know.

None of my DCPs knew of my financial situation. I do not demonstrate fear of losing them by allowing ANY OF THEM to disrespect me continually. I do NOT address a situation or parent with fear of losing them or income. I definitely don’t think, “Did I make them mad, will they term?” If anything I think, “DCM/D can be mad if they want to be. I know they better get it together, term or get termed.” The song ‘Hit the Road Jack’ plays in my head.

Termination isn’t my first instinct. It’s my second. I don’t want chronic issues with a DCF. Either they can respect our business arrangement or they can move on. I hold up my end of the agreement. I expect them to do the same.
This is fantastic advice-thanks for sharing. I have one family (I often post about on here) that is a bit of a headache. The thing is, I try and figure out whether or not the things they do are deal breakers, or am I just being picky? Over the years, I have become firm with my new families, and don't have any of the issues I have with this one family that has been here from the start. I think they know they are the only full timers, and so they push buttons. Some days, I am like, "that's it- they are out of here", and other days, I'm like, "Is it really that bad?" They are the type (similar to a child) that will follow rules when you crack down on them, but it gets to be annoying having to always remind them. I wonder if dcm is just oblivious, or if it's intentional?
SunshineMama 06:59 AM 02-13-2014
I feel like I am 1 family away from being able to term comfortably, but I am having trouble finding a family that fits the schedule that I want to work. It is terrible to feel like you have to walk on eggshells to keep people from leaving. I generally have good families, but there is one that is just awful. (The parents, not the child). I keep them for the child, who is neglected at home- not enough to have social services called, but right on the line. I just cant let him go, but I'm okay with that for now.
mountainside13 07:27 AM 02-13-2014
I was in that boat a few weeks ago with one family and another family a few weeks before. It cut my income in half, I was freaking out because we were about to start buying a home but now that it is done I am so much happier, less stress because now I don't have to deal with those rude parents anymore! I filled one spot already and my last spot the child will start on the 24th. Back on track!
Josiegirl 10:46 AM 02-13-2014
I don't want to jinx myself but it seems to have always worked out for me one way or another, as far as keeping up with finances and getting kids. Last fall was a little tight because the past 2 years I had lost a total of 6 kids to K. That was tough, pocketbook-wise and dynamics of the group. I only have 1 child left from the group I had 2 years ago.
There were times I should have termed but didn't. It was usually because the problem child came with a sweet sibling and great parents.
MV had some great suggestions for cutting corners. I'll have to check out Dave Ramsey's book.
As far as saving money, what I do is whenever I spend money(I always use cash when I shop), I'll put all the change and ones I have into a jar. It mounts up very quickly. When I cash/deposit my checks I only keep out a certain amount then try to spend as little as I can during the next week. Anything I have left over on my next banking day also goes into a jar. I ended up saving 1200 last year for Christmas. Plus I do Swagbucks so that earned another 5-600 towards Christmas.
Tags:contract - clear, enforcing policies - consistency, fear, financial, guilt trips, loss of income, need - the money, threats
Reply Up