Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Christmas Gift for Provider
Unregistered 09:03 AM 01-06-2014
Hi! I was just hoping I could get some reassurance from you providers if the gift I gave my son's daycare provider was good. He goes to her home where she watches him with her 2 sons. For Thanksgiving I gave her a cash bonus of 2 days on top of paying for the week regularly. For Christmas we paid for the two weeks we were on vacation and then I gave her movie tickets and zoo tickets for their family of 6 along with a card for her family and then our picture holiday card. We love her very much and I was hoping this would be a nice chance for them to go places as a family without having to worry about the cost of 4 kids and 2 parents. We don't have a lot of extra money and I could get the tickets discounted through my work. Does this seem okay? Or should I try to give her some cash as well?
Play Care 09:20 AM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi! I was just hoping I could get some reassurance from you providers if the gift I gave my son's daycare provider was good. He goes to her home where she watches him with her 2 sons. For Thanksgiving I gave her a cash bonus of 2 days on top of paying for the week regularly. For Christmas we paid for the two weeks we were on vacation and then I gave her movie tickets and zoo tickets for their family of 6 along with a card for her family and then our picture holiday card. We love her very much and I was hoping this would be a nice chance for them to go places as a family without having to worry about the cost of 4 kids and 2 parents. We don't have a lot of extra money and I could get the tickets discounted through my work. Does this seem okay? Or should I try to give her some cash as well?
I think tickets to the movies and zoo are lovely gifts and very thoughtful. As for paying for holidays - it depends. Are you contractually obligated to pay for those times? In which case payment would not be a gift, it would be something you agreed to do when you signed on. If she does not require payment for those times and you did anyway then that would be generous of you.
I think most providers are happy with a nice card from their dcp's.
Cat Herder 09:38 AM 01-06-2014
I think you were very thoughtful.

Like the other poster said, paying for your vacation time away from care is pretty standard for most providers. Our fee schedule is generally based on 52 weeks tuition instead of actual attendance hours, so that would not be viewed as a "gift" by most.

Movie tickets AND zoo tickets seem almost over the top to me, but I'd bet she loved them.
sunlight 12:22 PM 01-06-2014
I feel that the movie tickets and zoo tickets were wonderful!! I also think it was super awesome on your part to pay for the days you weren't in care. I only say this because some families automatically expect a discount on days they are not in care holiday or not. Some providers stick to there contracts and go by what is in them and if it says they get holiday pay they do. Even if you have a contract that says parents pay holiday pay not every family respects it! And still try to negotiate with the provider. That's why I am saying wonderful for you to pay the full amount even if you weren't there!! Especially if your contract doesn't require it!!
Tags:christmas gift expenses
Reply Up