Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Filing a complaint
Unregistered 01:24 PM 05-28-2014
I have a serious complaint about a day care in Charlottesville, VA. Where do I file the complaint? The school refuses to communicate with a primary custodial parent in a transparent way under the justification they cannot reveal whether the other parent was in the day care or not because it would violate that parent's privacy. The custodial parent is not asking for any information on the other parent, only wants to know if the kids had a visit from that parent. Situation got so bad they failed to communicate and non custodial; parent remove the child (5 yrs old) from school without letting custodial parent know. When confronted with this, the day care requested the child be removed from the school. Where can I file a complaint? Can someone help me investigate or at least understand why the day care refused to communicate with custodial parent regarding random, unpredictable and unsolicited visits from the other parent? Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Play Care 02:09 PM 05-28-2014
Is there a court order barring the non-custodial parent from seeing/taking the child from day care? Does the day care have a copy of that paperwork? If the answer is yes, call your state's child care licensing agency to file a complaint.

If the answer is no, there isn't a court order, then you probably don't have a leg to stand on. Day Care can't keep parents from their kids without a court order or it's considered kidnapping (it doesn't matter where the child resides, if the day care doesn't have a copy of a court order/custody arrangement they can't withhold the child from the parent) In this case the day care probably got sick of the drama and decided it wasn't in their best interests to keep the child in their care.

Best of luck!
TwinKristi 02:16 PM 05-28-2014
Was it a daycare or a school? If it's a school, you go to the administrator and file complaint. If its a daycare, you go to your licensing division through this website depending on what type of care this is.

But like ^^ said, providers cannot keep a parent, custodial or non-custodial, from a child without a court order saying otherwise especially if the non-custodial parent is on their emergency list or any paperwork.
Reply Up