Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Honestly Why Are People Rude?
lovemykidstoo 05:45 AM 12-07-2018
My full timer, comes in every morning and dad puts her coat on my little table by the door. I always have some sort of decoration on there. Right now it's my snowman and a little sign. I mean does anyone think this is rude? As soon as he does it, I take it off and put it on one of the 2 doorknobs that i have right there. To the right is a closet and to the left is the basement, so there are doorknobs there. There may be another coat on them, but you can always double it up. I would never dream of putting a coat on someone's decorations. Do I just need a vacation or is this rude? So now this weekend, I'm going to get one of those over the door hangers and that way I can put it up in the morning and take it down and tuck it in the closet when they leave. Here are 2 pics, one of what it normally looks like and the other is what dad does every morning.
Attached: coat.jpg (29.1 KB) aftercoat.jpg (42.2 KB) 
Snowmom 06:05 AM 12-07-2018
Yea, that doesn't look like a coat hanger.
He probably knocked down the sign doing that and if he scratched the wood table- that'd tick me off.
sahm1225 06:06 AM 12-07-2018
That is very rude, but I’m having one of those weeks where everyone has been rude or inconsiderate that maybe I’m over exaggerating. But I think at this point, you need to be direct andask him NOT to do that. Some people are just jerks and don’t think things through. I have a dcd that throws the kids coats on TOP of the coat rack... and another one that I have to say ‘please CLOSE the door” every morning.
lovemykidstoo 06:09 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
That is very rude, but I’m having one of those weeks where everyone has been rude or inconsiderate that maybe I’m over exaggerating. But I think at this point, you need to be direct andask him NOT to do that. Some people are just jerks and don’t think things through. I have a dcd that throws the kids coats on TOP of the coat rack... and another one that I have to say ‘please CLOSE the door” every morning.
Oh Lord me too. I have a screen door where the top is a screen, but it has built in the storm that slides up to shut off the screen. (if that makes sense). I leave the screen open about 4 inches because if I don't, the big door doesn't close easily. Too much suction. So they come in every day and stand there flapping. I walk right around them and say excuse me and shut the door lol. I mean duh. You wonder why the kids don't listen? The parents aren't too swift.
lovemykidstoo 06:14 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
He probably knocked down the sign doing that and if he scratched the wood table- that'd tick me off.
I just don't get it. I have 2 doorknobs right there. Same distance away. I mean anyone ever heard of putting 1 coat over another on the doorknob? grrrr

This is only $7.00. I think I will pick it up tonight. It has 6 hooks, just enough for all the kids. Then I can take it down at 5:15 and keep it in the closet.
Attached: hanger.jpg (131.6 KB) 
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 12-07-2018
It's rude.

I have similar issues with standing on benches with fabric cushions and kids being sat on TOP of my cubby units. I have a laminated sign that says "Please do NOT place your child on top the cubbys. Thank you!"

Most parents can't read it though because their child's butt is blocking it from view.

In your case, I'd have a hard time not putting something on the table that will spill over and make a huge racket when DCD puts the coat on it. Something like a tall container full of little bells or acorns or Christmas tree bulbs etc... something so that the minute DCD sets the coat on the table it falls all over the place.

Then I'd stand there and say "That's why I've asked you not to put her coat there Bob. Could you please make sure that is picked up before the another child arrives? Thank you"

I do agree.... people can be obliviously rude sometimes.
rosieteddy 06:31 AM 12-07-2018
I think that is the hardest part of having a family daycare.This is your home,its rude to put the coat there.I am surprised that the children are not touching the decorations.That being said I would move the table.I would get a coat rack and put it there for daycare hours.I would put a tray for wet boots in that space.I did like the idea Black cat had of the noisy ornaments though.Why make yourself aggravated every morning .We know the parents are ofted clueless.
lovemykidstoo 06:34 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's rude.

I have similar issues with standing on benches with fabric cushions and kids being sat on TOP of my cubby units. I have a laminated sign that says "Please do NOT place your child on top the cubbys. Thank you!"

Most parents can't read it though because their child's butt is blocking it from view.

In your case, I'd have a hard time not putting something on the table that will spill over and make a huge racket when DCD puts the coat on it. Something like a tall container full of little bells or acorns or Christmas tree bulbs etc... something so that the minute DCD sets the coat on the table it falls all over the place.

Then I'd stand there and say "That's why I've asked you not to put her coat there Bob. Could you please make sure that is picked up before the another child arrives? Thank you"

I do agree.... people can be obliviously rude sometimes.

Maybe put up tack strips? hahahaha! I like the idea of putting stuff up there that woudl fall and make a mess. Would be fun to watch him on his hands and knees picking stuff up haha
lovemykidstoo 06:36 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I think that is the hardest part of having a family daycare.This is your home,its rude to put the coat there.I am surprised that the children are not touching the decorations.That being said I would move the table.I would get a coat rack and put it there for daycare hours.I would put a tray for wet boots in that space.I did like the idea Black cat had of the noisy ornaments though.Why make yourself aggravated every morning .We know the parents are ofted clueless.
I'm not moving the table. This is my home and I'm not rearranging anything because he's rude. Plus, I use that table for daycare. It has 6 baskets in it that you can't see and that's where every child has their diapers and wipes. I'm going to pick up the over the door rack with 6 hooks to put on the closet door which is right there. There will be no need for him to put the coat on there anymore. So when he comes Monday and starts to put it on the table, I'm going to say "Oh, I bought a door hook right here. Coats were scratching my table." That way the problem is fixed and he understands that he was being rude. Surprisingly, the kids have never bothered any of my decorations or my tree. I have had 2 broken ornaments in 18 years of daycare. It's weird, they look, but they never touch.
Unregistered 06:39 AM 12-07-2018
Yep...same crap here!! I have a shelf for kids back packs...sign on that please do not place children here...nope every damn day mom puts kid there to remove boots...there is a bench 19" away...I measured it!!
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I'm not moving the table. This is my home and I'm not rearranging anything because he's rude. Plus, I use that table for daycare. It has 6 baskets in it that you can't see and that's where every child has their diapers and wipes. I'm going to pick up the over the door rack with 6 hooks to put on the closet door which is right there. There will be no need for him to put the coat on there anymore. So when he comes Monday and starts to put it on the table, I'm going to say "Oh, I bought a door hook right here. Coats were scratching my table." That way the problem is fixed and he understands that he was being rude. Surprisingly, the kids have never bothered any of my decorations or my tree. I have had 2 broken ornaments in 18 years of daycare. It's weird, they look, but they never touch.
Every year I put up decorations in the daycare house and the kids and I talk about looking and not touching etc etc.... Im happy to say the kids are fantastic!!!

But then it never fails, ever year I have that one parent that will pick up their kid and say "See how pretty" as they are holding them up high 3 inches from the ornament or lights I just spent the week teaching them not to touch.
lovemykidstoo 06:43 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yep...same crap here!! I have a shelf for kids back packs...sign on that please do not place children here...nope every damn day mom puts kid there to remove boots...there is a bench 19" away...I measured it!!
ugh that would tick me off.
lovemykidstoo 06:45 AM 12-07-2018
Every year I put up decorations in the daycare house and the kids and I talk about looking and not touching etc etc.... Im happy to say the kids are fantastic!!!

But then it never fails, ever year I have that one parent that will pick up their kid and say "See how pretty" as they are holding them up high 3 inches from the ornament or lights I just spent the week teaching them not to touch.
Are parents amazed that the kids don't bother your things? I always laugh when I hear the parents say they only put ornaments on the top of the tree, put stuff around the tree so they can't get it. Never had a problem. Honestly, I rarely have to say no. They just know how I am and they learn from that. That would irritate me if a parent held them up to the tree like that. So I bet the child reaches out to an ornament there too.
rosieteddy 06:45 AM 12-07-2018
Sorry I did not notice the baskets.The coat rack sounds like the perfect solution.I know parents can sometimes not get that this is your home.
lovemykidstoo 06:58 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Sorry I did not notice the baskets.The coat rack sounds like the perfect solution.I know parents can sometimes not get that this is your home.
No worries, this pic you can't see them, but it's so convenient to keep me organized. Try hard as I can to be organized lol
Cat Herder 07:09 AM 12-07-2018
The updated training video says to look for the *good idea* in his action. So, going with that theory, at least he knows not the throw it on the floor?

Awesome of you to get the rack. Sorry you had to.
hwichlaz 07:25 AM 12-07-2018
It wouldn't occur to me to hang a coat on a doorknob. You need to be able to use the doorknobs. Put up some coat hooks and I bet he'll use them.
lovemykidstoo 08:00 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
It wouldn't occur to me to hang a coat on a doorknob. You need to be able to use the doorknobs. Put up some coat hooks and I bet he'll use them.
Have used the doorknobs here since we moved in 3 years ago. When you walk in, you are standing in front of the closet door to the right and the basement door to the left. Both, within arms reach. I don't use either of those doors for daycare. The closet is for our things and the basement I don't utilize for daycare. I have always hung the coats up there. He's the first one to ever put a coat on top of my decorations. My husband is at menards right now buying over the door hanger.
lovemykidstoo 08:02 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The updated training video says to look for the *good idea* in his action. So, going with that theory, at least he knows not the throw it on the floor?

Awesome of you to get the rack. Sorry you had to.
lol I like how positive you are I just think if he's going to do that, the least he could do is say, hey do you mind if I put it here? Not just put it up there. Will have an over the door hanger within 30 minutes. I'll use that for when family comes over too so it's all good and it's less than $10 but just was put off by it.
happymom 08:04 AM 12-07-2018
Definitely rude.
Unregistered 08:06 AM 12-07-2018
I am to the point now where I say something. I used to bite my tongue about a lot of things but now I say what needs to be said. I refuse to let my house get disrespected. My own kids know better and if a dck or parent does something I do not like I say something. A couple examples are my landscaping. Keep your kid out of my landscaping. Kids also mess with my screen door. I put a stop to that. I am over it this week.
Pestle 08:52 AM 12-07-2018
From a design standpoint, this is happening because you have not provided an intuitive place to put the coat. Yes, it is rude that he is knocking over your stuff. However, it is human nature to take the path of least resistance, so if there is no clearly-visible coat hook immediately accessible as soon as people walk through the door, you can expect them to continue to toss coats wherever. A doorknob is not a coat hook, even if other people have been hanging coats on them, and honestly I would not feel comfortable hanging up a coat on a doorknob in anybody's house. It's just not how anyone in my household does it, so it would never occur to me in the first place, and I'd feel rude and lazy doing it.

You have to hold people's hands and walk them through the process if they are encountering anything new or unusual.

How old is the child? If she is old enough to stand up, she is old enough to put her coat away herself. Spend the next week walking her through that process ( and make sure you have a designated coat spot that she is capable of reaching). Once she can put her own coat away, you can cut him off before he tosses the coat anywhere, and tell him that his daughter needs to put her own clothing away herself. Then have her show him how to do it!
e.j. 09:07 AM 12-07-2018
My full timer, comes in every morning and dad puts her coat on my little table by the door. I always have some sort of decoration on there. Right now it's my snowman and a little sign. I mean does anyone think this is rude? As soon as he does it, I take it off and put it on one of the 2 doorknobs that i have right there. To the right is a closet and to the left is the basement, so there are doorknobs there. There may be another coat on them, but you can always double it up. I would never dream of putting a coat on someone's decorations. Do I just need a vacation or is this rude?
He's definitely being rude - although I'm sure you could use a vacation. Can't we all? ;-)

My dd makes various crafts and often will go to craft fairs to sell them. She puts time, effort and money into making her crafts. Last weekend, I went with her to help out. She had set up a display of hair bows made out of ribbons. An older woman came by and bought some of the earrings she had made. In order to get to her wallet, though, the woman laid her purse down right on top of the bows, squashing them all. I was proud of my dd for remaining polite and professional but she was so angry - and rightfully so! Some people are just so oblivious!

I like your idea of the hanging coat rack that can be put away when you're not doing day care. Hopefully, it will solve the problem for you.
lovemykidstoo 09:22 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
He's definitely being rude - although I'm sure you could use a vacation. Can't we all? ;-)

My dd makes various crafts and often will go to craft fairs to sell them. She puts time, effort and money into making her crafts. Last weekend, I went with her to help out. She had set up a display of hair bows made out of ribbons. An older woman came by and bought some of the earrings she had made. In order to get to her wallet, though, the woman laid her purse down right on top of the bows, squashing them all. I was proud of my dd for remaining polite and professional but she was so angry - and rightfully so! Some people are just so oblivious!

I like your idea of the hanging coat rack that can be put away when you're not doing day care. Hopefully, it will solve the problem for you.
That's terrible about the bows.
lovemykidstoo 09:24 AM 12-07-2018
Really if he would have just asked it wouldn't have been so bad but to continuously do it I think is rude. Plus, at the end of the day he takes the coat off the door knob where I put it after we go outside, so it's not like he can't see that that is where I keep it and see other kids' coats too, but for $8 I solved the problem. My husband ran to the store this morning and bought this hook for me. Much better all the way around.
Attached: newcoatrack.jpg (50.2 KB) 
Snowmom 09:24 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am to the point now where I say something. I used to bite my tongue about a lot of things but now I say what needs to be said.
Definitely!

I just recently lost my marbles on a family who kept putting their kids shoes on top the arm of my brand new couch.
My entry is very open but there is a huge rug, a three tier shoe bin and a chair for the kids... but no, apparently my couch looks like the shoe organizer.

I don't bite my tongue when it comes to my home. Their parenting abilities... yes, but not my home.
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 12-07-2018

I don't bite my tongue when it comes to my home. Their parenting abilities... yes, but not my home.

I have a lightswitch by my door that controls my dusk to dawn light. Every time a kid turns the light switch on/off, it clears out the "programming" for the light and my DH is going batty fixing it. We put a cover over the light switch and a sign that says "Do NOT touch".

I have parents that will say in a smirky tone..."You know the kids can't read"

I'm like "No, but YOU can"
amberrose3dg 09:46 AM 12-07-2018

I have a lightswitch by my door that controls my dusk to dawn light. Every time a kid turns the light switch on/off, it clears out the "programming" for the light and my DH is going batty fixing it. We put a cover over the light switch and a sign that says "Do NOT touch".

Ugh this is my Christmas lights. We have a timer outside. Daycare kids mess with it at pickup right in front of parents. Guess who has to tell them no.
That would drive me crazy.
e.j. 10:04 AM 12-07-2018

That reminded me of a discussion I had with a breastfeeding dcm. Anytime she'd eat dairy, her baby would have runny diarrhea. We had had several discussions about it, she knew how dairy affected him and yet continued to eat it because, you know....she craved dairy and couldn't help herself. Ugh! After he had one particularly nasty bout and it literally poured out of his diaper and all over my playroom rug for the umpteenth time, my frustration was obvious. When I told her what happened - yet again, she told me, "You know he can't help it. He's just a baby." Before I could stop myself, I replied with, "No! But you can!! This can not keep happening!" Didn't have that problem again. Wish I had spoken up sooner!
ColorfulSunburst 10:44 AM 12-07-2018
my question is: are there coat hangers for DC kids?
hwichlaz 11:14 AM 12-07-2018
Have used the doorknobs here since we moved in 3 years ago. When you walk in, you are standing in front of the closet door to the right and the basement door to the left. Both, within arms reach. I don't use either of those doors for daycare. The closet is for our things and the basement I don't utilize for daycare. I have always hung the coats up there. He's the first one to ever put a coat on top of my decorations. My husband is at menards right now buying over the door hanger.
you aren't required to keep them hanging separately to prevent srpead of things like lice?
lovemykidstoo 11:20 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
you aren't required to keep them hanging separately to prevent srpead of things like lice?
No. Even with hooks up they'd be touching somewhat.
lovemykidstoo 11:27 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
my question is: are there coat hangers for DC kids?
I'm attaching the picture again of my entry way. You can see in the picture that the door to your right is the front door. The door that the new rack is on is a closet, I am standing in a hallway. Immediately to the left is the door that goes to the basement (so opposite the closet door). When you come in the front door and walk straight 3 feet, you're in my living room. As you can see really no place for coat hooks, so everyone has always just put the coats on the door knobs. It's worked perfectly fine for 3 years with everyone. never had any problem at all. Until this week for some reason he thinks he should put his daughters coat on my decorations.
Attached: newcoatrack.jpg (50.2 KB) 
Ariana 11:43 AM 12-07-2018
Maybe I am weird but I would say something like “my goodness john your destroying my knickknacks with this coat every day” or “there must room on one of the hooks for this coat” or some other joking thing to get him to realize what the heck he is doing. I find people like this need it spelled out for them.
lovemykidstoo 11:52 AM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Maybe I am weird but I would say something like “my goodness john your destroying my knickknacks with this coat every day” or “there must room on one of the hooks for this coat” or some other joking thing to get him to realize what the heck he is doing. I find people like this need it spelled out for them.
Now that I put the hooks over the door I absolutely will. He's been bringing her here 2 years now and this is the first week he's been putting the coat on my things, so I don't know why he started doing that. Now he has no excuse though since I do have the hooks and if he does it after that then I will absolutely say something.
Rockgirl 11:55 AM 12-07-2018
The coat rack looks like a perfect solution. Next week you can just silently point to it as he walks through the door.
Tin Blues 11:59 AM 12-07-2018
Would you have had room for a child size coat rack? This would allow the kids to hang it up and get it down by themselves.
lovemykidstoo 12:05 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Tin Blues:
Would you have had room for a child size coat rack? This would allow the kids to hang it up and get it down by themselves.
I really don't. I wanted to do that, but the only place would be right next to that table and the way that corner is, I can just see it being tipped over constantly.

I was thinking of a way to put this on but have it hang lower, but I"m afraid with it hanging the kids would push it back and forth and scratch the daylights out of my door.
lovemykidstoo 12:05 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
The coat rack looks like a perfect solution. Next week you can just silently point to it as he walks through the door.
Exactly. Hopefully he'll get the picture tonight when he has to take his daughters coat off of it and of course I"ll add a comment or two about my nice new coat rack lol
momofsix 12:17 PM 12-07-2018
At least he didn't hang it on that super cute wall hanger above the table
I think having the visual of a coat hook should definitely help him. I, myself wouldn't hang a coat on the doorknob in someone elses house either, especially if there are other coats on it. I would probably ask where you'd want it though and definitely wouldn't use the table.
Pretty sure coats aren't allowed to be stored on top of/touching each other here.
lovemykidstoo 12:29 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I think having the visual of a coat hook should definitely help him. I, myself wouldn't hang a coat on the doorknob in someone elses house either, especially if there are other coats on it. I would probably ask where you'd want it though and definitely wouldn't use the table.
Pretty sure coats aren't allowed to be stored on top of/touching each other here.
Just curious, are you an in-home or group or center? This is the first time I"ve heard of coats not being able to touch. If I have 6 here in a day I don't have a wall long enough for them to have coats hung up without touching. What state are you in? I'm glad we dont' have that rule lol. We had lice on a couple of kids last year and since then I stopped bags from coming in for that reason.
Snowmom 03:55 PM 12-07-2018
I'm attaching the picture again of my entry way. You can see in the picture that the door to your right is the front door. The door that the new rack is on is a closet, I am standing in a hallway. Immediately to the left is the door that goes to the basement (so opposite the closet door). When you come in the front door and walk straight 3 feet, you're in my living room. As you can see really no place for coat hooks, so everyone has always just put the coats on the door knobs. It's worked perfectly fine for 3 years with everyone. never had any problem at all. Until this week for some reason he thinks he should put his daughters coat on my decorations.
Is your front door metal?

I have these super strong magnet hooks on my door and they work FABULOUSLY. I keep them slightly higher up out of reach and they hold heavy coats (even mine).
Plus, you can remove them for weekends!
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jenboo 05:45 PM 12-07-2018

I have these super strong magnet hooks on my door and they work FABULOUSLY. I keep them slightly higher up out of reach and they hold heavy coats (even mine).
Oh those are really neat!!
lovemykidstoo 07:45 PM 12-07-2018

Wow those are cool. It's a wood door though The over the door one worked good today. I showed the dad in question here where his daughters coat was at pick up. I said my husband saw this at the store and thought I could use it to be organized. He said oh that's nice, so I think problem solved. Only $8 too on the clearance rack!
ColorfulSunburst 12:52 PM 12-08-2018
you can attach permanent hooks on the wall on the level of your decoration table ( by the left side of it). kids will be able to hang up their coats by themselves.
My hallway looks like this now.

I understand this kind of hallway can bother some daycare providers. But I am OK with this. For me more important that I have no extra reasons to get upset during my long workdays. I have 12 kids here every single day. All of them know where their stuff supposes to be.
Attached: 1.jpg (313.3 KB) 1d.jpg (190.4 KB) 
lovemykidstoo 12:58 PM 12-08-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
you can attach permanent hooks on the wall on the level of your decoration table ( by the left side of it). kids will be able to hang up their coats by themselves.
My hallway looks like this now.

Attachment 4941 Attachment 4942

I understand this kind of hallway can bother some daycare providers. But I am OK with this. For me more important that I have no extra reasons to get upset during my long workdays. I have 12 kids here every single day. All of them know where their stuff supposes to be.
My last house i had a set up just like yours. When you came in the back door through the garage there was a laundry room. I had hooks up like yours and cubbies. It was great. There is only about a foot of wallspace to the left of the table. The hook over the door will be fine. The kids won't be able to hang up themselves, but that's not the end of the world. Most of hte parents take the coats off the kids anyway. When we go outside, I'll just hand them the coats and they know how to put them on.
coloradoprovider 02:37 PM 12-08-2018
Now that I put the hooks over the door I absolutely will. He's been bringing her here 2 years now and this is the first week he's been putting the coat on my things, so I don't know why he started doing that. Now he has no excuse though since I do have the hooks and if he does it after that then I will absolutely say something.
"Coats go here." When they walk in the door, say "Good morning, coats go here." Speak before he acts. Repeat as necessary. Don't over explain, don't apologize or feel badly about speaking up. So over worrying about what people think. Keep it simple, short and to the point. Works for children AND adults!

Question though - is your front door unlocked so people can come in right away? I keep my front door locked so I can "head them off at the pass!" (and for safety reasons) Shoes are off after my entryway.
lovemykidstoo 05:44 PM 12-08-2018
Originally Posted by coloradoprovider:
"Coats go here." When they walk in the door, say "Good morning, coats go here." Speak before he acts. Repeat as necessary. Don't over explain, don't apologize or feel badly about speaking up. So over worrying about what people think. Keep it simple, short and to the point. Works for children AND adults!

Question though - is your front door unlocked so people can come in right away? I keep my front door locked so I can "head them off at the pass!" (and for safety reasons) Shoes are off after my entryway.
I keep my front door locked all the time. Since it's got 3 different ways to go there (into the kitchen, down the hall to the playroom or into the living room) there are kids going through there all day and I don't want anyone to get nailed with unexpected openings of the door. Plus, just for safety I keep it locked. I think this dad gets it. I made a point of showing him where his daughters coat was when he picked up and said isn't that nice my husband bought me there to keep everything neat and tidy. He said oh that is nice. So I think it will be good now. Hopefully. I can see him trying to put hat and mittens there though so I'll have to tell him tuck the mittens and hats into her coat sleeve. Honestly I like to do that anyway because I'm sure everyone can relate when you have hats and mittens just floating around, they get lost easily.
flying_babyb 06:30 PM 12-08-2018
It's rude.

Double sided stick tape on the top, when child sticks you can say "Oh sorry mom/dad. I put some tape up there to keep x (spiders, ants, cat) off"
or try covering the top in decor that would require them to move the items before they sat their child up there. Decorative fence anyone?
knoxmomof2 01:29 AM 12-09-2018
Ugh! I once had a Mom who would bring her child in and set her on top of a bookcase I had. It was just one of those short, cheap 3 shelf ones. I was too new to have a backbone, so I kept waiting for the day the top caved in... Lol... Eventually I just started storing things on it. I didn't get the nerve of her doing that. Who just sits a child on someone's bookcase?!

If I didn't see where to put something, I would ask where someone wanted it, not toss it on a surface that's clearly in use. Glad you found a solution 👍
dreamer 11:12 AM 12-09-2018
He walks PAST the coat rack and puts the coat on top of your decor?

RUDE and also VERY WEIRD!
lovemykidstoo 11:46 AM 12-09-2018
Originally Posted by dreamer:
He walks PAST the coat rack and puts the coat on top of your decor?

RUDE and also VERY WEIRD!
No I put the coat rack up later that day after he continuously did that. He has always put the coat on the doorknobs right there like all of my other daycare people. I don't know why this week he decided to start putting up there. Maybe he hates snowmen haha
Cat Herder 05:02 AM 12-10-2018
Just curious, are you an in-home or group or center? This is the first time I"ve heard of coats not being able to touch.
It is a QRIS thing for home providers here. I solved it by having parents take home the coats the kids wear enroute here (most simply use blankets for car rides) and I use the coats/hats that stay here. They are laundered daily with nap linens and play clothes. Really easy.

Most providers have extra large cubbies/lockers so that nobody's belongings touch. I don't have a large enough foyer for that. This was not a regulation when I purchased my home so I could not plan in advance for it.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Double sided stick tape on the top, when child sticks you can say "Oh sorry mom/dad. I put some tape up there to keep x (spiders, ants, cat) off"
or try covering the top in decor that would require them to move the items before they sat their child up there. Decorative fence anyone?
There is a clip board, tissues and hand sanitizer sitting on the laminated sign. The parent that is most habitual offender doesn't drop off any longer but when they did, they just brushed the items aside and sat their kid directly on the sign.

I finally told him to knock it off but there were several times before and after I addressed it that I know it happened but I didn't see it.

My cubby room is completely separate and it's hard to see into the main area of the house unless you are standing right at the entrance so I didn't see him sitting his kid there until after when other parents or kids told me.

Thankfully, this parent no longer drops off or picks up.
Attached: thumbnail_IMG_2261.jpg (92.8 KB) 
lovemykidstoo 08:05 AM 12-10-2018
Drop off this morning was smooth as silk. Hung the coat right up on the hook!
Baby Beluga 08:51 AM 12-10-2018
Drop off this morning was smooth as silk. Hung the coat right up on the hook!

284878 11:34 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Can you please help me find the rules on that? I don't recall that rule and can't seem to find it.
lovemykidstoo 04:58 AM 12-11-2018
I am cracking up this morning. The original dad that I made this post about came in this morning, hung up his daughters coat and then put her hat and mittens back on the table. I grabbed them immediately and said "you know what? Let's put these right in the sleeve of her coat to keep me organized." lol I picked them up and put them inside her coat and hung it back up on the hook. He says, oh yea ok. haha

Another mom came in and put her childs sippy cup on it and his ziplock of pullups. I picked up the sippy and handed it back to her. I don't have kids bring drinks from home and opened the drawer right there and put the ziplock of pullups in it. Every child has a drawer and she knows that.

Mom of my 15 month old comes in with his pacifier in his mouth. She sets him down, picks the pacifier out of his mouth and sets it on the table. I immediately open the top drawer (his) and toss it in. First of all, why do you let him have it in the car and then make me bad and take it away as soon as he walks in? Secondly, do you think I want his spit on my table?

All ya can do is laugh right? I figure if I rinse and repeat long enough in 6 to 8 months they'll get it right? lol
Tags:expectations, social skills
Reply Up