Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Does Anyone Have Any Experience With Tourette's Syndrome or Tics?
Unregistered 07:11 PM 08-14-2013
My son may have Tic's and I know that can progress into Tourette's over time. Anyone have any experience? IDK what to do if he does have this issue with his current child care situation. Anything I should be aware of? He's the sweetest kid ever and I'm afraid of what this could do to him over the next few years. IDK what to do.
Familycare71 07:42 PM 08-14-2013
My understanding is ticks and Tourette's are really two separate things. Ticks are a part of Tourette's but ticks can also occur without it.
I am assuming you are seeking medical care- what has your dr said?
What kind of ticks is your son experiencing?
How old? Any other things with it?
I know for young children they can out grow them.
I wouldn't worry too much- it is my experience that children can learn so many tools to deal with hurdles. And if he is under medical care (what ever that may be) be will learn the tools/skills he needs.
I have had children with fairly minor ticks and it was never an issue socially in our dc group
HTH!
LoraJenkins 06:36 AM 08-15-2013
My 21 year old Nephew has Tourette' s. It started with small facial tics around the age of 3 or 4 and got worse as he got older. It NEVER effected his behavior (he was and still is one of the sweetest guys around) beyond getting frustrated when he couldn't get a full sentence out. Now that he is on a proper medication it is controlled. It was a long process to find a medication to manage it.

All I can recommend is to have an honest talk with his provider and explain what is going on so she knows how to handle him.
Unregistered 04:23 PM 08-15-2013
He started this wheeze last week. I thought it could be asthma or allergies. We went to the dr 3 x and got a 2nd opinion as well. Both dr's say it's NOT asthma and we treated for allergies and no response and then they tell me it is tic's. Basically, called it a 'vocal' tic. So every few minutes his body shakes and he makes the noise and his muscles twitch inward. He also developed a clearing throat need, which they say is part of it. He is 6yo and they tell me it's common between children 5-18yo. I really hope he outgrows it. I hate hearing that noise and seeing him shake and twitch like that.
Tags:tics, tourette's syndrome
Reply Up