Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Childcare Hurricane Policy?
Unregistered 08:14 AM 06-25-2012
I live in Florida, and feel that I need to have a hurricane policy in case of emergency. Does anyone have a policy they'd like to share?
Thanks!
Kasandra
Mommy2One 06:31 AM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I live in Florida, and feel that I need to have a hurricane policy in case of emergency. Does anyone have a policy they'd like to share?
Thanks!
Kasandra
Just a parent from Central Florida here. I'd start with no drop-offs when a hurricane is a certain distance from shore, with allowances for strength. You wouldn't want it to turn at the last minute and hit more directly and you have tornado warnings, power going out, a houseful of kids and parents who can't safely drive to pick them up. Maybe update your contact list at the beginning of hurricane season, with at least three local contacts you can include in case of emergency. Add under what conditions you will call parents, and actually that probably wouldn't be a bad idea for even the regular summer storms. If my daughter was under threat of a tornado or the power was off at the provider's (no A/C, possibly dark, with a frightening storm outside) I'd like to be given the chance to pick her up and the conditions I'm experiencing at work, 25 miles away, may not be the same as at your childcare.

I'd make sure to include the aftermath since that's often the worst part. Can you you safely and comfortably care for the children without power? I'd definitely say care will not be provided if there is no water, if there's roof/window damage or if flooding reaches a certain point. I can't imagine any parent would want their children in those conditions anyway.

As far as payment, I'll let the other ladies answer. I wasn't with my previous employer when the big '04 season hit but I heard tale that the office was without power for almost a week. They still made the employees come in and work, without A/C, with generators powering the computers and some of the lights. So your parents may have to work and make arrangements for alternate care or use sick/vacation days if you're not available. It's obviously not your fault but it's not the parents' either.
SilverSabre25 06:49 AM 06-26-2012
I don't live in a hurricane prone area, but a good start is to always check with licensing. Some places have regulations governing when you can operate and when you can't.
Sugar Magnolia 11:16 AM 06-26-2012
Heres mine: " If the public schools are closed or close early, we will be closed as well. During the summer, if county or city offices are closed or closing early, we.will be closed. If winds reach tropical storm force, or a "clear the roadways" alert is issued, we will be closed. If the area is under tornado watch, we will be closed. If we lose power or water service and it is not restored within a 30 minute time frame, we will close."

Now, that is my official policy. I play it by ear. Yesterday we had ts force winds and some street flooding, but county bus system and offices continued to operate, so we gave it a go. However, I was greeted with roof leaks and sticking doors and water being driven by wind under the doors and windows. My early arrivals were told to make alternate arrangements and should stay until parents got alternate care. I called the rest and said not to come. I try to be open if possible. Just didn't work out yesterday. Maybe if my center wasn't in a hundred year old house, I could have stayed open. Not as bad today, still raining, but not that wind driven rain that find every nook and crannie to come in.
Tags:disaster plan, hurricane
Reply Up