Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking About Switching It Up!
LittleD 08:14 AM 02-28-2013
My husband and I were talking about how one of my FT will be going to school in Sept. leaving me with 2 FT and 3 before and after schoolers. 1 of my FT will not likely be coming after July, her mom will be taking a MAT leave, and dad always complain about how expensive daycare is, even with 2 parents working. So she will be gone for a year, or they may want to keep her in 2-3 days a week. I can't afford to have only 1 FT (or even 2 FT) kids and 3 SA.

Was trying to think of who I would have to term to free up spots. But I can't have 5 FT toddlers, my home isn't big enough (no matter what DH says) I've been there, tried that and it was hell!

HE made the suggestion of just having all SA'ers, and going back to school myself!! That was supposed to be the plan like 3 yrs ago, but he kept putting it off because I was making such good money. I'd love to go back to school, the only things is, I don't know which program I should take! He'd love for me to open a center. He doesn't realize that I would have just as much if not more work if I were to do that. He's thinking we can jet set off on vacation whenever we want because I'll have workers to look after the kids lol

I'd LOVE to be a paralegal, but they don't offer that course here. So I guess I should see what's available that interests me, and hope it all falls into place!!
allsmiles 09:54 AM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by LittleD:
My husband and I were talking about how one of my FT will be going to school in Sept. leaving me with 2 FT and 3 before and after schoolers. 1 of my FT will not likely be coming after July, her mom will be taking a MAT leave, and dad always complain about how expensive daycare is, even with 2 parents working. So she will be gone for a year, or they may want to keep her in 2-3 days a week. I can't afford to have only 1 FT (or even 2 FT) kids and 3 SA.

Was trying to think of who I would have to term to free up spots. But I can't have 5 FT toddlers, my home isn't big enough (no matter what DH says) I've been there, tried that and it was hell!

HE made the suggestion of just having all SA'ers, and going back to school myself!! That was supposed to be the plan like 3 yrs ago, but he kept putting it off because I was making such good money. I'd love to go back to school, the only things is, I don't know which program I should take! He'd love for me to open a center. He doesn't realize that I would have just as much if not more work if I were to do that. He's thinking we can jet set off on vacation whenever we want because I'll have workers to look after the kids lol

I'd LOVE to be a paralegal, but they don't offer that course here. So I guess I should see what's available that interests me, and hope it all falls into place!!
do they offer the large group home in canada? Here we can have a large group with 12 kids, ive seen some other posters mention 15 -17 kids are allowed wehre they live. so not actually DAYCARE size but enough income to maybe hire helpers and go on vacay a few times a year.. LOL.. following your passion while doing school agers sounds awesome too.. good luck!!
cheerfuldom 10:00 AM 02-28-2013
i'm sorry but your husband is annoying me. pressuring you into taking kids or pursuing opening a center? i hope he is not as jerky as this post is coming across as....

i understand that you and him have to work together to find solutions that work for the whole family but i also encourage you fight for what really works for you! good luck
butterfly 10:44 AM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
i'm sorry but your husband is annoying me. pressuring you into taking kids or pursuing opening a center? i hope he is not as jerky as this post is coming across as....

i understand that you and him have to work together to find solutions that work for the whole family but i also encourage you fight for what really works for you! good luck
That's funny. I read the post as just the opposite. That her husband was very supportive and encouraging to allow her to pursure other options that may require less work for her (in his eyes).
LittleD 05:10 PM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by allsmiles:
do they offer the large group home in canada? Here we can have a large group with 12 kids, ive seen some other posters mention 15 -17 kids are allowed wehre they live. so not actually DAYCARE size but enough income to maybe hire helpers and go on vacay a few times a year.. LOL.. following your passion while doing school agers sounds awesome too.. good luck!!
I believe we can have 30 kids, if the space is large enough. At least, thats what my Licensor did. Pretty sure she had 30.

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

Oh did I laugh at this!! He annoys me too. It's both ways. He thinks because I'm doing childcare I should just expand and pull in more money plus have more free time. With more kids comes more responsibility, more paperwork more everything. I tell him I only make it look easy.

I enjoy working with kids, but 10 hrs a day with the same kids wear on me. I got into daycare because I had problems with my sons provider. I wanted to be there to help him with his delays. I'm glad I did it but it was supposed to be a short term in my eyes. I want a pension plan, and sick days where I don't feel guilty. I want to be able to take 1/2 days off to go to my kids events. I was able to do stuff like that in my previous jobs, and my dcp do that now.

If I open my own center I will feel more chained down. Its too big of a commitment for me to make I think. I should tell him to do it because he is a few credits shy of a business diploma
LittleD 05:11 PM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
That's funny. I read the post as just the opposite. That her husband was very supportive and encouraging to allow her to pursure other options that may require less work for her (in his eyes).
Yes, now he is. He suggested going back to school because I kept telling him NO WAY! to the center idea!
TheGoodLife 08:47 PM 02-28-2013
I'm just procrastinating doing tax stuff, and got a kick out of the convo here! Change is always exciting, good luck with whatever you decide to do It's all about what will make you happy now as well as years down the road!
Tags:full time to part time
Reply Up