Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What If Your Child Was In The Hospital?
Country Kids 06:10 AM 03-22-2013
In Chatterbox's thread alot of providers were shocked the mom was at work while her child was in the hospital.

We as providers have very little time off, never call in for sickness, etc. So what happens if this were our own child. What would you do if your own child was in the hospital? Would you close or try and find a sub? Would you close for the entire time if your child had to be in for longer then a couple days?

I guess for myself I would close, explain to my families what was going on and pray for the best. I would possible also try and close for a few days upon coming home because that is sometimes the hardest-having a child home sick and trying to take care of children.
bunnyslippers 06:15 AM 03-22-2013
I have had this happen, once, when my son was 8 months old. I was also hospitalized for almost a week last year.

When my son was in the hospital, I had an assistant. She took over the child care the whole time, and my mother assisted her.

When I was in the hospital - same thing. I closed for one day, then my assistant and various subs helped out until I was able to get home and back on track.

In both situation, I was not following licensing regulation. I contacted my licensor, and told her of my emergency plans until things were back to normal. In both instances, my emergency plan was approved.

Both times, it was absolutely terrible, stressful, and awful. I was left with so much resentment for many of my dcfs, because of some of the behaviors they exhibited during my family's crisis. I also learned which familys were worth my time and effort. It changed the way I run my business.
daycarediva 06:16 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
In Chatterbox's thread alot of providers were shocked the mom was at work while her child was in the hospital.

We as providers have very little time off, never call in for sickness, etc. So what happens if this were our own child. What would you do if your own child was in the hospital? Would you close or try and find a sub? Would you close for the entire time if your child had to be in for longer then a couple days?

I guess for myself I would close, explain to my families what was going on and pray for the best. I would possible also try and close for a few days upon coming home because that is sometimes the hardest-having a child home sick and trying to take care of children.
This. I closed when DS's had surgery (hernia, foot, hip and tubes) and never lost a single client. All of my parents have been VERY understanding of me putting my family first.

When my oldest son was a preemie, I took FMLA, for 6 MONTHS, and never left the hospital, stayed at Ronald McDonald house (in the hospital) with my then 2 yo dd.

Jobs, clients, money is all replaceable. My children are NOT.
NeedaVaca 06:33 AM 03-22-2013
I would try to find a sub but if it came down to it and I couldn't find one I would close. Family comes 1st. I would hope my families would be understanding and if not I don't think I would miss working with them...
Willow 06:44 AM 03-22-2013
My daughter ended up in a Children's Hospital due to a shunt malfunction a year ago. We opted to remove it as oppose to replace it and had to stick around to make sure there weren't going to be issues with fluid levels. Went in on a Saturday, home on Wednesday or so? But I closed for the full week to give her time to recover. Would do it again in a heartbeat and all my parents were very understanding. Dealt with finding alternate care just fine and didn't bother me once about it.

The only time I would contemplate finding a sub would be if the illness was chronic and would warrant an extended closing. If I couldn't find one and it came down to me being there for daycare or being with my child I'd simply stop doing daycare.
Patches 06:48 AM 03-22-2013
My ds was hospitalized for about a week when he was 8 weeks old. I didn't hesitate to call in to work. Now that I have my home daycare, I think I would try to find a sub but, if not, I would close.
mama0609 06:56 AM 03-22-2013
My kids went to a home daycare when I worked outside the home. If one of her kids ended up in the hospital I would expect her to close and go to the hospital with the child. I would also close my daycare if one of my kids was in the hospital. It's a big deal to be in the hospital and if someone doesn't understand that or gives you a hard time then they obviously wouldn't be people I'd want to work with.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 03-22-2013
My DS had two hospital stays since I've been open. Both were short stays but both times either my DH or myself were with him. NEVER once was he alone without a parent.

Both times he had surgery and both during surgery and the immediate recovery from the anesthesia my DH AND myself were there with him.

During the subsequent time he was there, my DH was with him. I had a substitute provider at the time and would go stay with DS when my sub could work.

If my child were in ICU or something similar, I'd be there the WHOLE time.

My DD also had a day surgery planned and I was there with her during surgery and recovery and then went to work once I knew she was doing ok. DH was there for the remainder of her stay.

I am fortunate because my DH is self-employed too so ANY TIME either of our kids needed something, one of us could ALWAYS be there.
wahmof3 07:00 AM 03-22-2013
My family first. I would close.

If they didn't understand or made a big deal about it.... I wouldn't want them here anyways.
hope 07:04 AM 03-22-2013
Two years ago my husband was diagnosed with Leukemia. Completely out of the blue we had to rush him to the emergency room and discovered the horrible news. I was in such shock I could barely talk. I had a good friend call my day care families to tell them I would be closing indefinitely. They received the news from a complete stranger! They were all so understanding. Each actuall sent additional checks through the mail. They had to immediately find other care. I was so thankful for my friend breaking the news to them and for them being so caring. My family really needed that at the time. We lost my income when we probably needed it the most but I needed to be there to care for my husband day in and day out. Money comes and goes. I am always thankful for the opportunities I have to make money, but ever since I realize that making money is no longer such a priority.
snbauser 07:06 AM 03-22-2013
I think it depends on the situation. If it was a short stay then I would close. If it were for an extended time I don't know. I think it would depend on what it was for. I know that where we are right now my family would not survive without my income. If I were to close for an extended period of time, we would need to find another place to live and sell most of our possessions to get by. I hate that we are in this situation financially, but we are working on digging out and it takes time. My family comes first...period. But part of that includes providing a home and food on the table for them. But in reality I think that unless it is something you actually face it is easier to say what you would do until you are faced with the reality.
MyAngels 07:08 AM 03-22-2013
My DS had four surgeries and a myriad of doctor appointments in less than 2 years. I closed for every single one of them, sometimes with less than one days notice. None of my families even batted an eye. As PPs said, if they give you grief over something like that, they're not people you want to work with anyway.
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
Two years ago my husband was diagnosed with Leukemia. Completely out of the blue we had to rush him to the emergency room and discovered the horrible news. I was in such shock I could barely talk. I had a good friend call my day care families to tell them I would be closing indefinitely. They received the news from a complete stranger! They were all so understanding. Each actuall sent additional checks through the mail. They had to immediately find other care. I was so thankful for my friend breaking the news to them and for them being so caring. My family really needed that at the time. We lost my income when we probably needed it the most but I needed to be there to care for my husband day in and day out. Money comes and goes. I am always thankful for the opportunities I have to make money, but ever since I realize that making money is no longer such a priority.
How is your DH doing now?

I had a friend from college who's DD was diagnosed with leukemia at 3 yrs old. It was hard to watch her go through what she did. Later in her teens she was diagnosed with some sort of liver disease.

She is now 24 yrs old and has been cancer free for 11 yrs now and doing really well.

Sometimes it takes something like that to happen to make you realize it isn't about the money.

Hope your family is coping well.
youretooloud 07:17 AM 03-22-2013
I've had this happen a few times too. (same kid each time) I was a single mom at the time. I'd call in sick early the next morning, but the rest of the days, i'd make her dad call in sick, and he'd stay there during the day and I'd be there at night. We never left her alone...not even once. But, I had to work.
crazydaycarelady 07:21 AM 03-22-2013
If my child went into the hospital I would close immediately and then try and arrange for a sub. If the sub did not work out then I'd just close.

I do have to say it would be A LOT less stressful to just close. I myself had surgery and had my assistant here while I was recovering in bed. I could hear everyone coming and going and sometimes I could here a baby crying and knew exactly what they needed but I was stuck in bed.
originalkat 07:22 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I think it depends on the situation. If it was a short stay then I would close. If it were for an extended time I don't know. I think it would depend on what it was for. I know that where we are right now my family would not survive without my income. If I were to close for an extended period of time, we would need to find another place to live and sell most of our possessions to get by. I hate that we are in this situation financially, but we are working on digging out and it takes time. My family comes first...period. But part of that includes providing a home and food on the table for them. But in reality I think that unless it is something you actually face it is easier to say what you would do until you are faced with the reality.
This is me as well. My daycare income is our ONLY income so me closing for an extended period would not be possible. If it was a week or so I would close. Other than that I would have to depend on extended family to sub and/or be in the hospital. It would also depend on how life threatening it was. If it was life or death than I would say screw the house and business. Hard situation that I would not want to have to face.
littlemissmuffet 07:41 AM 03-22-2013

My child's been in the hospital for the last 3 months, since she was born. She was born Christmas day, so I was already off that week with pay. I had one kid scheduled to come for the following Monday (New Years Eve) but opted out of coming so I could be with my daughter. I was closed New Years Day with pay and then started working again full-time the day after New Years.
We obviously didn't plan to have our baby 3 months early, so it wasn't an option to take any additional time off. If I did, we'd have no income, lose our home, etc... which isn't an option. We need a stable home for our daughter to come home to. So, I spend 10 hours a day working and 5 hours a day/night with my daughter in the hopsital (plus 2 hours of commute time) - I have spent the last 90 days doing this. Her daddy is now on parental leave as of last week, so he's spending the days with her while I continue to run the daycare and we spend the evenings with her together.
You do what you have to do.
hope 07:49 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How is your DH doing now?

I had a friend from college who's DD was diagnosed with leukemia at 3 yrs old. It was hard to watch her go through what she did. Later in her teens she was diagnosed with some sort of liver disease.

She is now 24 yrs old and has been cancer free for 11 yrs now and doing really well.

Sometimes it takes something like that to happen to make you realize it isn't about the money.

Hope your family is coping well.
He is doing good, thank you. It is something that he will have to deal with everyday for the rest of his life. My children are blessed to have such a strong role model for a father. And in terms of daycare....it takes a real life threatening disaster to frazzle me now. Lol! I will always remember how kind those families were for me bc I know they depended on me and I left them in a bind with no notice. We struggled for a while financially, sold off most of our luxury possessions and now we are both back to work and appreciate family time over material things. I work my butt off so he can relax more and am just grateful that I am able to work while spending time with my own children. When a loved one needs you you will be surprised at how little you care about your fancy car, jewlery n toys. No amount of money is worth time spent caring for someone who needs you.
momofsix 08:46 AM 03-22-2013

If it was a short term hospital stay-no doubt I would either close or find a sub and be at the hospital after the whole time.
If it were long term-there's no way I would be able to. That doesn't mean that money or material things are more important than my family. It would just not be possible without losing our home and going into bankruptcy.
The day after Christmas my dh had what was supposed to be a simple surgery, with only a one night stay. He ended up staying for 21/2 weeks. I had already taken the week of Christmas off-so I was able to be with him that whole week. The rest of the time I was able to have my dd's sub for me. They were home from college for an extended Christmas break and my oldest got a bit added to her leave to also stay and help. It was not an ideal care situation but my parents were all awesome. There were 3 days that I had to work while he was still in the hospital. I didn't want to, but I had no choice. The only day I closed was the day he came home.
I don't think it was fair to judge the mother in the other thread without knowing her circumstances. Maybe I missed reading about it, but I don't know why she was at work while her child was in the hospital or know any of the circumstances surrounding her and her child.
hope 08:57 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
My child's been in the hospital for the last 3 months, since she was born. She was born Christmas day, so I was already off that week with pay. I had one kid scheduled to come for the following Monday (New Years Eve) but opted out of coming so I could be with my daughter. I was closed New Years Day with pay and then started working again full-time the day after New Years.
We obviously didn't plan to have our baby 3 months early, so it wasn't an option to take any additional time off. If I did, we'd have no income, lose our home, etc... which isn't an option. We need a stable home for our daughter to come home to. So, I spend 10 hours a day working and 5 hours a day/night with my daughter in the hopsital (plus 2 hours of commute time) - I have spent the last 90 days doing this. Her daddy is now on parental leave as of last week, so he's spending the days with her while I continue to run the daycare and we spend the evenings with her together.
You do what you have to do.
Wow, I commend you for your strength and stamina. That is a rough situation. You child is very lucky to have you!
littlemissmuffet 09:01 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
Wow, I commend you for your strength and stamina. That is a rough situation. You child is very lucky to have you!
Thanks, Hope. It's tough, but we do what we have to do for our children. She's the reason we work so hard
Holiday Park 09:14 AM 03-22-2013
I have had two of y kids in the hospital over the last 2 yrs . My youngest was in the hospiyal for 2 weeks being monitored when he was 6-8 weeks old. I had 2 other kids to care for that were too young to get off th school bus by themselves. My oldest was not here (visiting with my mom). Anthoer time my youngest was there 1night for rsv for monitoring.
He was in icu for monitoring his first week of life after I was discharged, and what ruined my marriage (on top of a number of other things that happened prior) , was my husband did not take off work to help out. He always works , even when he is too sick to work and about to pass out because he can't say no to his boss.
I had to go home and stay with my kids and leave my 6-8week old ny himself with the nurses because I had to no choice and no one to help. My husband says if he takes off work during times like that we wouldnt be anle to make the bills&rent. But really what the problem is he spends $ every say on crap and eating out and I have told him over&over how important it is to SAvE for emergencys / times like that when some one is sick etc...
So to those who have a husband who takes off work OR makes time every day or nifht to spend with tour child in the hospital, i hope you know how good you have it. The biggest reason I have been doing child care since my youngest was born was to pay down on my debts so I ca hopefully be all paid off on dent ad can start saving to be anle to get on my own two feet so I can leave him and still be able to afford to support my kids by myself. He works TOO much and wen we are gone I hope he realizes the big mistake he made by not willing to compramise with me and make time to be there for us/me. When I had my c-sections all three times he worked ad wasnt thete for me either except to drop in and visit.
CedarCreek 09:17 AM 03-22-2013
Well, it depended on certain factors in my life at certain times.

Now, close no doubt about it for shorter visits. Longer and dh and I would switch off.

When my oldest was born he spent 5 months straight in the hospital. He cane home for about a week and was re admitted basically until his first birthday with surgeries upon surgeries and illnesses galore. At that time I was 17. I turned 18 a couple of months before he turned one. I knew I had to finish high school if I wanted a better life for him. So there were times when I had to go to school and leave him. I would take my homework and go after school and sit with him until they kicked me out. When I graduated, I stayed with him as much as possible. I would go to college courses and then to right back to him.

Most of the time, if I couldn't be there one of my parents could. It was a tough situation but I had to better myself for him.

Now if something like that happened, I have the luxury of DH and a savings account to ensure that neither of my children goes without a parent.
littlemissmuffet 09:18 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
I have had two of y kids in the hospital over the last 2 yrs . My youngest was in the hospiyal for 2 weeks being monitored when he was 6-8 weeks old. I had 2 other kids to care for that were too young to get off th school bus by themselves. My oldest was not here (visiting with my mom). Anthoer time my youngest was there 1night for rsv for monitoring.
He was in icu for monitoring his first week of life after I was discharged, and what ruined my marriage (on top of a number of other things that happened prior) , was my husband did not take off work to help out. He always works , even when he is too sick to work and about to pass out because he can't say no to his boss.
I had to go home and stay with my kids and leave my 6-8week old ny himself with the nurses because I had to no choice and no one to help. My husband says if he takes off work during times like that we wouldnt be anle to make the bills&rent. But really what the problem is he spends $ every say on crap and eating out and I have told him over&over how important it is to SAvE for emergencys / times like that when some one is sick etc...
So to those who have a husband who takes off work OR makes time every day or nifht to spend with tour child in the hospital, i hope you know how good you have it. The biggest reason I have been doing child care since my youngest was born was to pay down on my debts so I ca hopefully be all paid off on dent ad can start saving to be anle to get on my own two feet so I can leave him and still be able to afford to support my kids by myself. He works TOO much and wen we are gone I hope he realizes the big mistake he made by not willing to compramise with me and make time to be there for us/me. When I had my c-sections all three times he worked ad wasnt thete for me either except to drop in and visit.
Sorry you are in such a tough situation right now. I commend you for recognizing you need to get out of this situation and go be on your own. It's tough, but you're doing the best thing for you and your kiddos in the long run - don't give up. Best of luck!!
Play Care 09:35 AM 03-22-2013
I guess it would really depend. A short trip? I wouldn't leave their side. Something that is recurring or would mean longer stays? I would have to have my sub come in sometimes, but would still need to work. I work to put food on the table and keep the roof over our heads, not to have the bigger SUV and surround sound entertainment system.
My husband is a teacher and has much more PTO so I imagine if it were a more serious/lenghty illness, he would have to take the time off.
CedarCreek 09:38 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I guess it would really depend. A short trip? I wouldn't leave their side. Something that is recurring or would mean longer stays? I would have to have my sub come in sometimes, but would still need to work. I work to put food on the table and keep the roof over our heads, not to have the bigger SUV and surround sound entertainment system.
My husband is a teacher and has much more PTO so I imagine if it were a more serious/lenghty illness, he would have to take the time off.
My Mom is a teacher too and any time one of us would get sick she would say, "You couldn't wait until summer?!"
Play Care 09:53 AM 03-22-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
My Mom is a teacher too and any time one of us would get sick she would say, "You couldn't wait until summer?!"
Ha! When our kids were little it seemed like every school vacation they would come down with something. My poor husband would be looking forward to spending time having fun with them and wind up playing nurse.
Rachel 01:10 PM 03-23-2013
My son was in the hospital for almost 3 weeks after he was born (congenital heart defect). Thankfully, I was on paid maternity leave and even got extra leave for the time, but if G/d forbid he will need another surgery, yes, I will be closed. I was with him almost the whole time except for the 3 days right after surgery (when dh and I switched off and he was alone sometimes during the changeover in PICU where it was allowed) because I have 4 other kids who also needed their mother.
cheerfuldom 07:27 PM 03-23-2013
I have closed the daycare before while my child was in the hospital. There is no way that I would leave my kids or my husband in there all alone. I dont care what was going on with the daycare or who left, my family comes first, all the time, every time.
LittleD 07:31 PM 03-23-2013
My son was hospitalized this January for a week. I took the first day off (went to emerg on Sunday spent most of the day there) because I knew we were going to be there a long time. Thought he had meningitis. Emerg said it was but he just needed bed rest.
Monday morning he started creaming of chest pains, got him in to family doctor who said he should be hospitalized because of the meningitis.
I called my parents said I will be off Tuesday until we know more. When he was still in Tuesday I booked the rest of the week. He didn't get out until Thursday afternoon.
I don't regret it and would do it again!!
nanglgrl 09:48 PM 03-23-2013
I would bring a sleeping bag and sleep on the floor if I had to. I wouldn't leave my child's side. I LOVE hospitals but I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to my child when I wasn't there. It would be even worse if I left because I had to work and take care of other children. I would tell my families ASAP and try to help them find backup (if they needed me to) from the hospital room. If I couldn't help they would have to figure it out, if they had a problem with that they would be welcome to find another provider.
That's just me. I respect that some people don't feel the need to stay at the hospital and some people just can't for their own reasons. My ways not better but it's my way. I know if something happened to my child being present would be the only hope I would have to eventually move on.
Rachel 11:40 PM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I would bring a sleeping bag and sleep on the floor if I had to. I wouldn't leave my child's side. I LOVE hospitals but I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to my child when I wasn't there. It would be even worse if I left because I had to work and take care of other children. I would tell my families ASAP and try to help them find backup (if they needed me to) from the hospital room. If I couldn't help they would have to figure it out, if they had a problem with that they would be welcome to find another provider.
That's just me. I respect that some people don't feel the need to stay at the hospital and some people just can't for their own reasons. My ways not better but it's my way. I know if something happened to my child being present would be the only hope I would have to eventually move on.
I agree it's so hard. I regret now in a way not staying, but I knew at the time I had 4 other kids who also were scared to death and needed me. My big kids were bounced around for 3 weeks to neighbors, friends, random teenage girls. We were very lucky that there were places for parents to sleep, and between dh and I someone was with him pretty much 24/7 for 3 weeks, except for a few days when there were times he was traveling home and I was turning around to go in. Once a child is on a ward here you actually can't leave them. There is a bed for a parent and someone must be with the child at all times. I told people I was in jail because I was confined to the same space he was (except bathroom breaks). Luckily people came to see me and I did get to see the light of day once or twice, because people came in pairs (one with baby, one to keep me company and walk). It's so hard when a little one is sick, I'm just thankful I didn't have to worry about the financial aspect of it. The new law passed maybe 6 months before he was born and not only was I on paid leave, but my leave was extended by the time he was in so I didn't lose out time with him at home.
Reply Up