Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>10 Worst Toys for 2016
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 11-17-2016
With the holiday season approaching, the consumer watchdog group World Against Toys Causing Harm (WATCH) has released it annual list of the most dangerous toys.

The organization urges parents to be cautious when buying toys this holiday season, noting that since January 2015 there have been recalls involving more than 800,000 individual products, including 500,000 this year alone.

http://toysafety.org/portfolio-items/toy-1-2016/
Mike 04:11 PM 11-17-2016
Some pretty serious risks there.

Since my daycare plans are still in the planning stage, and I want to get out of home renovations, I started a new business doing woodworking Nov 1 last year. I make a lot of kid toys and games and safety is a big concern. Before starting, I found the safety standards and everything I make is above and beyond those.
Michael 04:15 PM 11-17-2016
Yes, this one is a bit worrisome since kids will use whatever is around as a projectile.

http://toysafety.org/portfolio-items/toy-3-2016/

Ariana 04:56 PM 11-17-2016
We have the tinkerbell version of the flying superman and in my opinion it is not a toy for kids. Most kids have short arms and when this thing really gets going it has the potential to smack you in the face, not to mention having it fly off around the room. I had my hand and fingers hit with this thing a few too many times. Horrible toy!
Blackcat31 06:48 PM 11-17-2016
Thinking back to my own childhood, I am surprised at some of the things we were given/allowed to play with.

Yard jarts anyone? A game for the whole family!

momofsix 08:24 PM 11-17-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Thinking back to my own childhood, I am surprised at some of the things we were given/allowed to play with.

I ended up with one of those stuck in my thigh
And a flying princess (like the superman) flew right into the fireplace, which did have a fire going!!!
Mike 08:50 PM 11-17-2016
We had some pretty dangerous toys and games in my childhood years, but back then parents tended to watch more closely. Plus of course, we didn't have safety regulations, like for the playgrounds we were talking about a while back.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 10:51 PM 11-17-2016
A big purple stuffed elephant made the list as one of the most dangerous toys this year? One of the most dangerous toys is a large stuffed animal? I can't even. I just can't... If you are letting your infant sleep on this thing as a pillow you are probably not spending your time reading the list of "2016 Most Dangerous Toys".

...and I did go look up the ad on Amazon... and yes they picture it as an infant pillow. SMH
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
A big purple stuffed elephant made the list as one of the most dangerous toys this year? One of the most dangerous toys is a large stuffed animal? I can't even. I just can't... If you are letting your infant sleep on this thing as a pillow you are probably not spending your time reading the list of "2016 Most Dangerous Toys".

...and I did go look up the ad on Amazon... and yes they picture it as an infant pillow. SMH

I noticed that very thing the other day while browsing amazon. Shame on whoever advertised it that way and any parent who would even think that's okay to be used like that!!!
Josiegirl 02:58 AM 11-18-2016
But you know, as with anything, it's not the toy itself that's dangerous, it's the age group, how it's used(why did we have slingshots as kids yet this slime thing is a bad thing), flying supermen....As with anything rules and supervision go hand in hand. Our wooden blocks can be lethal weapons if we just let the dcks go at it. And don't get me started on what can be done with jump ropes.

Side note, I bought some musical instruments through Lakeshore awhile back, these were sticks with ribbons and bells attached. Supposively the bells were 'permanently' attached. I left a review that mine had lost several of their bells, which then, became very dangerous.
DaveA 03:55 AM 11-18-2016

I may or may not have built a trebuchet in Jr High to play lawn darts at 50 yards. I plead the 5th.
Blackcat31 05:17 AM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:

Although the photo they use does appear to be an infant, the item is not marketed for sleeping infants. It DOES say 12 months and up.

I see one of the other colors says "sleeping pillow" but the link I am reading says "perfect for cuddling" and doesn't use the word sleep.

I can totally see why this made the most dangerous toy list!
Blackcat31 05:22 AM 11-18-2016
This one cracks me up! It's a big plastic hammer!

It says:

W.A.T.C.H. OUT! 6-year-old children are encouraged to “feel the power of the horde!” with the “legendary Doomhammer,” based on weaponry in the “Warcraft” movie. The manufacturer offers no warnings regarding potential impact injuries associated with foreseeable use of the heavy, rigid plastic battle hammer.

Blackcat31 05:27 AM 11-18-2016
How many of these did you play with as a child?

http://www.littlethings.com/banned-toys/

I loved the ball clackers! Of course, we had bruises to prove we had been practicing! They went and put the safety things on them and they were never quite as fun again....

NeedaVaca 06:38 AM 11-18-2016

I loved the ball clackers! Of course, we had bruises to prove we had been practicing! They went and put the safety things on them and they were never quite as fun again....

Oh my goodness those bring back memories! My grandma had them at her house and we were always getting hurt playing with them! but...we kept playing with them lol
Mad_Pistachio 06:47 AM 11-18-2016
last Christmas, my SIL sent my daughter one of BlankieTales (.com and you'll see what it is). it's not just useles, I am used to 90% of X-mas crap being useless. it's downright dangerous.
I thought of sending a knife set to her 2-year-old son. but then decided to be nice and sent nothing. at least, he can't kill himself with nothing, right?
Fiddlesticks 09:10 AM 11-18-2016
This one is labeled for 14+. Honestly, it hardly fits in the "toy" category at all.

Fiddlesticks 09:14 AM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
But you know, as with anything, it's not the toy itself that's dangerous, it's the age group, how it's used(why did we have slingshots as kids yet this slime thing is a bad thing), flying supermen....As with anything rules and supervision go hand in hand. Our wooden blocks can be lethal weapons if we just let the dcks go at it. And don't get me started on what can be done with jump ropes.

Side note, I bought some musical instruments through Lakeshore awhile back, these were sticks with ribbons and bells attached. Supposively the bells were 'permanently' attached. I left a review that mine had lost several of their bells, which then, became very dangerous.
I have those ribbon bells also, I haven't lost any bells. But I only let the children use them during music time, I am sure they would be ripped to shreds if I let them free play with them. I have the toddler music set from Lakeshore, also, those maracas are the worst! Kids are constantly hitting each other on the head with them. They are also a music time only instrument.
Josiegirl 09:45 AM 11-18-2016

My eyes must really be failing me because I had to do a double take on #4.
Blackcat31 10:59 AM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My eyes must really be failing me because I had to do a double take on #4.
No, I had to take a close look at that one too! lol!
CalCare 12:21 PM 11-18-2016
Wait, whats wrong with the blankie tails?
Baby Beluga 01:07 PM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I was JUST trying to figure the same thing out, lol. My aunt wanted to buy one for DD.
Mad_Pistachio 06:11 PM 11-18-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Whe she tried to put one on and walk in it, she almost slipped and fell head first. I caught her.
I'd say, everything is wrong with them.
Ariana 06:53 PM 11-19-2016
Oh my goodness BlackCat! I loved those clacky things and the lawn darts! Then again we also used to jump off the roof of my garage into snowbanks when we were kids no idea why we are alive!

Speaking if blanky tails has anyone seen the mermaid tails for swimming? I was thinking about getting it for my niece and then read that several kids had nearly drowned and it is only for super strong swimmers
Tags:toy suggestions, toys
Reply Up