Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Advertise For Openings 6 Months Out??
SunflowerMama 09:06 AM 01-07-2013
Ok here's my dilema. I have 3 infants that will all move into the next age bracket (for ratio purposes) on or right before June 1st.

This will increase my ratio and open up 2 additional spots (ages 18 months+).

Would you advertise for these spots yet or wait?? I have a waiting list but most are young infants or folks expecting so I'm just debating if I should try and fill these spots for June 1st.

I do charge a holding fee of 1 week's rate/month to hold a spot so just don't know if that would be asking too much of a family. Deposit (2 weeks - applied to 1st and last week of care) and then 6 months of holding fees 6 months before the opening is even available.

Thoughts??
blandino 09:23 AM 01-07-2013
I have advertised for spots 3/4 months in advance. Most of the time they go to pregnant/new moms, with infants they are looking to place in a few months.

In normal cases, I don't allow spot holding fees - you either pay full-time tuition or the spot is open for someone else to place their child. However if I know the spot will be open on "x date" then I will take a two week non-refundable deposit, and not charge a weekly fee for that spot. Provided that the new family is willing to take the spot on the week it becomes open.

I will have some children leaving to go to school in May/August and have every intention of advertising their spots soon. It can be very appealing to new moms who like to have their ducks in a row way ahead of time.
Play Care 10:01 AM 01-07-2013
I do. I will have an opening as of July 1 and I'm already putting out the word. It can take time to do interviews and such. I make it clear that the spot isn't avalible until that date, and that if they want the spot but can't start on that date they will need to pay the weekly fee or I will have to find someone else. I've been burned by holding spots with only a deposit so I won't do it again.
But no, not too early
Scout 11:03 AM 01-07-2013
If it was free, you bet! There is always expecting parents looking for care when baby is born!
nothingwithoutjoy 05:04 PM 01-07-2013
Definitely. Gives you lots of time to fill the spots. But I wouldn't charge the holding fee, as you're not really holding the spot for them--the spot is currently filled. I'd start charging the holding fee only after the spot opened up, if the new kid wasn't ready to start yet.
bunnyslippers 05:29 AM 01-08-2013
I absolutely would, and I would require a deposit once someone commits to taking the spot. I have always done it this way, and find it is such a relief to know far in advance who will be coming my way. I absolutely would not just go on their word - make them put their money where their mouth is to guarantee the spot is theirs when the opening is available!
NeedaVaca 05:44 AM 01-08-2013
I would start advertising and would charge the deposit but since you don't actually have an open spot until June so I wouldn't charge them for holding a spot unless that spot was actually open and they were unable to start right away.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:58 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I would start advertising and would charge the deposit but since you don't actually have an open spot until June so I wouldn't charge them for holding a spot unless that spot was actually open and they were unable to start right away.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say--I forgot about the deposit, which I would absolutely require up front.
originalkat 07:07 PM 01-10-2013
Yes, I have 1 opening in August and I have it on my website and am telling people who call to reserve their spot now! I require a nonrefundable deposit of $250.00. I have already filled my other 2 August spots with deposits that I will have due to kids moving on to Kindergarten. I think its great!!
mbullette 07:36 PM 01-10-2013
I would!!! I am not sure what state you are in but things seem to be slow in a lot of places. I interviewed a family back in October that is looking for childcare starting in May. It never hurts to start early., Good luck!!!
pollyo 07:43 PM 01-13-2013
I'm in the same boat but I'm going to wait until its about 2 months away. Most of my kids have started soon after we've met, too much can change in 6 months.
Reply Up