Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Evacuation Plan
Country Kids 07:39 PM 05-03-2013
Do any of you have a plan to evacuate your childcare in the case of an emergency?

The fire thread started making me think-what would I do if I needed to evacuate my childcare?

In some instances you may not have time to call the parents or have time for them to get there.

Then I think about parents that don't allow transportation or providers that don't transport. In an instance like this would you transport if needed?

I think I'm going to put a section in my phb about this under Emergency Management/Evacuation and set up a plan for the parents and I. Does anyone have one in their PHB and if so would you mind letting us see it?

Thanks-
earlystart 03:54 PM 05-04-2013
One of my licensing papers was for the emergency plan, for fire exit, and an alternate site in case of evacuation. I chose the nearby park to meet at, that I would just walk the children to with our emergency backpack and my cell phone.

http://cchp.ucsf.edu/sites/cchp.ucsf...aster-Plan.pdf
heyhun77 07:12 PM 05-04-2013
Due to nearly annual spring flooding (among other situations that may require us to evacuate our location) I have an emergency transportation release. It specifically states that in the event of an emergency requiring immediate evacuation I can transport their child without advance notice and if necessary without proper restraints/carseats. I will not take a child into care without this even though I hope I never have to use it but I have it if we need it. The rest of my emergency plans are for fire we relocate across the street and I also have several neighbors houses we can go to if we need shelter and then sheltering in place. I have an extra copy of my emergency contact sheets in my van, in the field trip bag and in a box at my one neighbors' house that also has some blankets, bottled water and some snacks and basic toys/activities. That way if we can't grab the bag or the cell phone we still have the contact information for each parent offsite.
Sunshine74 08:11 PM 05-04-2013
At our center we have a couple of plans depending on the circumstances. If we just have to evacuate just our building, we have a local business that we can walk our kids too until we can get all the parents to pick up. If we have to evacuate the area, we have a contract with a private bus company who will come pick us all up and transport us to a location farther away.
MarinaVanessa 08:32 PM 05-04-2013
I'm in CA and one of my requirements is to fill out a form with a floorplan of my daycare and outdoor area which has to include stuff like where our emergency supplies are, exits, etc. We don't have to have something in writing per say but I do, just in case.
craftymissbeth 08:13 AM 05-05-2013
I have one for fire and for severe weather/tornado. Our fire department requires it. We have to have a drawing of our floor plan with arrows showing where our meeting place is and the written verbage explaining it below the picture.

Our fire meeting place is the tree in our front yard and weather meeting place is in the closet under the stairs.
itlw8 01:22 PM 05-05-2013
We had to do an emergency plan last year.We had to include evacuation plans for close by and out of the area like for a chemical spill or large fire. You would not wait for parents if you need to evacuate you would need to tell them ahead of time where you would meet them.

We also needed a lock down plan and a shelter in place like a power outage due to an ice storm until parents could get there.

parents need to agree to transportation in case of an emergency even if they do not on a daily basis.
TheirEmi 01:44 PM 05-05-2013
I had a tree that was blown down and caught on a limb right above the room my babies and i were in. Luckily i had car seats already installed, I had a huge diaper bag packed for the two infants. For the BF baby, i had left some bm in my mom's deep freeze.
When my neighbor saw the tree about to fall on the house, he yelled at me to get out. I grabbed the babies and put them safely in the car and ran back to get the emergency diaper bag. We hung out with my mom ( 10 minutes away) until the parents got off work/out of class.

I have added extra supplies to my bag and have extra supplies at my mom's now.
Meeko 05:07 AM 05-06-2013
Utah licensing requires a written emergency plan with floorplans etc. They have a question and answer form. It must be in our files for inspection.
Tags:disaster plan, evacuation
Reply Up