Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Asking For Toy and Supply Donations. Ok or Not?
SunflowerMama 07:34 AM 03-21-2014
We are moving the end of April to a new home and will also be moving our daycare. Most of the outdoor trikes and toys have been with me since I opened almost 5 years ago and definitely need to be replaced. I would LOVE to move into the new space with some new outdoor toys as well as a fresh stash of art supplies.

With all the costs of moving it's just not feasible for me to buy all those items myself and was wondering if it would be totally out of line to make up an Amazon "wish list" of a few things the kids would really love in the new space and then sent it to parents if they wanted to contribute.

Thoughts??
craftymissbeth 07:41 AM 03-21-2014
I think an amazon wish list is a great idea. I just wouldn't be pushy with it (maybe just a reminder that it exists on the bottom of newsletters if you do them). Have you tried replacing one item a week/month? If you have families like mine you can't really count on them to start replacing all of your toys, kwim?
NeedaVaca 07:45 AM 03-21-2014
Personally for me I wouldn't do it, just because I feel that those costs come with the job. It's almost garage sale time for me and I plan on hitting those hard this year. I always find those types of items really cheap! The only art supply stuff I would feel comfortable asking for would be stuff you can re-purpose like empty toilet paper rolls, egg cartons, etc.
MyAngels 08:05 AM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Personally for me I wouldn't do it, just because I feel that those costs come with the job. It's almost garage sale time for me and I plan on hitting those hard this year. I always find those types of items really cheap! The only art supply stuff I would feel comfortable asking for would be stuff you can re-purpose like empty toilet paper rolls, egg cartons, etc.

I feel like the parents are already paying you, and supplies and equipment are part of the cost of doing business. You could always raise rates by a small amount to be able to afford new things if your current rates don't cover them.
e.j. 08:39 AM 03-21-2014
I would also feel very uncomfortable asking for donations for the same reasons mentioned above. I do appreciate it when a family does donate, though.

Not that I do this with ulterior motives but I find that when I thank those who make donations in front of the other dc kids and families or when the other kids ask where the toy came from and I tell them it was donated by ***, I tend to get additional donations.
jenboo 09:29 AM 03-21-2014
In my news letter, I have a donations section. I always put something (boxes, empty paper towel rolls, sprinklers/water play items, etc). But i never expect them to buy brand new items for me and i don't expect every family to donate. With multiple families, they are bound to have stuff lying around that I could use. Depending on what I'm asking for, sometimes I do get new items (they saw it in the store and thought it would be fun for the daycare, the bought it months ago and never ended up using it, etc).
Laurel 09:46 AM 03-21-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:

Leigh 11:15 AM 03-21-2014
IMO, it is only OK if you are a NON-PROFIT daycare. If you're not, then it's not OK to ask for "donations"....it's really more like asking for presents. I think of donations as going to non-profits.
Mom of 4 11:16 AM 03-21-2014
My kids' DCP has on her pamphlet "Donations welcome" in her supplies section
I don't see a problem with it and have given clothes and other things that she's been able to use for her DCK's that are not as privelidged.
butterfly 11:42 AM 03-21-2014
I've asked for donations in the form of craft type items. I posed it more in the form of "if you are throwing away things like... we'd love to have them for our craft projects at daycare". I did state that I don't want anyone to go purchase anything, but if it was something that was headed to the trash that had some life left in it, we may be interested.

Then it snowballed into toy donations, clothing donations, etc. I have one family who constantly brings things, too bad they don't bring the things while other parents are here -that always makes them feel as though they should bring things too.

I've thought about saying something like: "in an effort to keep my rates low, I'm asking for donations of the following items... or instead of increasing rates this year, I am requiring a monthly or yearly school supply list"...
jenn 01:58 PM 03-21-2014
I have never made a wish list or asked for a donation. I feel like that puts the parents in an awkward position. They look bad if they don't donate, but may not be able to financially and they are already paying to be here.

I have sent a note/newsletter stating that I am looking for gently used playground supplies (or whatever I'm looking for). I offer to buy them at a garage sale price. A lot of parents will go ahead and donate what they have, others will help by selling something their child has outgrown/doesn't use at a small fee.
spinnymarie 08:18 AM 03-22-2014
I wouldn't ask for parent's to buy things normally-- HOWEVER, I have, in my past job, asked for parents to purchase/donate something to the daycare instead of a gift for me, like around a typical gift time, winter holidays or the end of a year. And I definitely ask for throw-away items, like boxes and paper towel rolls
Reply Up