Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2016: Christmas Heirloom Crafts?
Cat Herder 07:34 AM 12-15-2016
I am not feeling it this year. I will be expected to create magic, normally it is what I do.

I have a ridiculous amount of supplies, just looking at it all makes me cringe.

I won't be open for the entire week proceeding Christmas, won't even see the kids until after, since it falls entirely on a weekend this year. I am sending home nice gifts (pretty proud of my unexpected score this year) to go under their trees tomorrow.

Anyone else in the same boat? What is your plan? Are you feeling the guilt and pressure? Would sending home the planned crafts in "do-it-yourself format, with all supplies included, be tacky or presumptuous?

Such a weird Christmas.
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am not feeling it this year. I will be expected to create magic, normally it is what I do.

I have a ridiculous amount of supplies, just looking at it all makes me cringe.

I won't be open for the entire week proceeding Christmas, won't even see the kids until after, since it falls entirely on a weekend this year. I am sending home nice gifts (pretty proud of my unexpected score this year) to go under their trees tomorrow.

Anyone else in the same boat? What is your plan? Are you feeling the guilt and pressure? Would sending home the planned crafts in "do-it-yourself format, with all supplies included, be tacky or presumptuous?

Such a weird Christmas.
This IS a weird Christmas. I feel like alot of it really snuck up on me fast and I am feeling very similar to what you are.

I don't normally plan for the kids to make something for their parents but if I see a cute idea or feel motivated I will do it but not always. This year, I just haven't felt like it so I would not hesitate to send home a craft kit with the kids as an incentive to spend SOME face to face time with their parent(s).... I don't think it's tacky at all...

I might even make a big deal out of sharing the experience with everyone after they return...you know tell the parent to take a couple pictures of them enjoying being creative together. etc.. Might encourage the parent or guilt them into doing it WITH their kid.

Since I don't promise parents, families or the DCK's big holiday parties and lots of cookie cutter crafts as part of my program, I never feel guilty if I don't do them. "I never promised them a rose garden"

But IF we do find the time and I do get the motivation, it's fun and a nice surprise....

So I say roll with it...... I refuse to be responsible for everyone's holiday happiness!
Baby Beluga 09:13 AM 12-15-2016
I agree, this Christmas is so weird. The majority of people I have spoken to feel the same.

We're not doing anything super special. Regular crafts and Christmas stuff this week and next and I think I am going to have the children paint a small wooden frame, add a picture of the child inside, turn it into an ornament and have that be the children's gift to their parents.
daycarediva 09:39 AM 12-15-2016
No, not feeling it at all. If it wasn't something I have done EVERY SINGLE year, I wouldn't be doing anything.

The kids did their advent calendar this morning at circle time and it dawned on me- "Oh Sh&&, I only have until next Thursday."

Guess what we did all morning?
Cat Herder 09:51 AM 12-15-2016
Thanks I feel less grinchy. You guys and dolls are the best.

I only have today and tomorrow due to a couple December birthday parties this week and being closed all next week.

I am exhausted from doing the big B-day photo ops with great attention to having it be completely separate from Christmas and highlighting each childs own preferences.

The result is no Christmas decorations up, yet, and a burnt out provider.

Ugh, I am downing some hot cocoa with whipped cream, chomping on kit-kats, breaking out some glitter and rallying up for a final push. They will be awake soon enough.

I have done it every year and the parents can see all the previous years on facebook. I set up the expectation and will hurt some feelings if I don't live up to the hype. I am to blame.

I should probably brainstorm some solutions to that....
DaveA 10:30 AM 12-15-2016
It is weird this year. With my own family I'm much more excited/ happy/ in the Christmas spirit. With DCKs- not so much
daycarediva 10:32 AM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Thanks I feel less grinchy. You guys and dolls are the best.

I only have today and tomorrow due to a couple December birthday parties this week and being closed all next week.

I am exhausted from doing the big B-day photo ops with great attention to having it be completely separate from Christmas and highlighting each childs own preferences.

The result is no Christmas decorations up, yet, and a burnt out provider.

Ugh, I am downing some hot cocoa with whipped cream, chomping on kit-kats, breaking out some glitter and rallying up for a final push. They will be awake soon enough.

I have done it every year and the parents can see all the previous years on facebook. I set up the expectation and will hurt some feelings if I don't live up to the hype. I am to blame.

I should probably brainstorm some solutions to that....

exactly. I should have set the bar lower.
CollegeWorker 01:33 PM 12-15-2016
We do jewelry boxes for the moms that the kids paint and attach jewels to if they want. Easy, simple, and the kids do most of the work with little chances for needed intervention.

We also are doing little magnets which are super easy. You just get kids to paint whatever design on a small piece of white paper. Once its dry you glue something clear like a marble-type thing with one flat side on section that they like the best. Once that is dry, the kids cut it out and we glue a magnet on the back. Easy fridge magnet.

I also did just a small craft the other day where I got those 20 cent green felt sheets, cut out christmas trees, and got out a craft try filled with miscellaneous craft things like jewels, puff balls, etc, and had the kids decorate their felt trees.
Tags:burn out, expectation, expectations, holiday - crafts, simplify, stress
Reply Up