Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Term Letter
Msdunny 10:48 AM 01-21-2020
I have typed this up for a family who brought their 6 month old today after she received immunizations this morning (I have a 48-hour exclusion policy for immunizations) and mom told me I would 'just have to watch her for reactions today'. I'm done with these folks. Would you all include any further information? My dh says to suggest they may want to consider a nanny. I'm too mad right now to think that through.

Dear thoughtless, rule-breaking parents,

In the last few weeks, it has become apparent that my daycare policies no longer are a good fit for your family. This letter will serve as your two-week termination notice. Care will be terminated on Thursday, February 6th. Your last invoice for care will be sent on Thursday January 30th.

Signed,
Me

Thanks for the help, guys.
Unregistered 10:50 AM 01-21-2020
I would add in that any further contract or policy violations during the notice period will result in an immediate termination.
Meeko 11:24 AM 01-21-2020
May I ask why you accepted the child into care when you have a 48 hour policy?
Msdunny 11:49 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Meeko:
May I ask why you accepted the child into care when you have a 48 hour policy?
Honestly? I just messed up. I am not confrontational by nature, and I just completely dropped the ball. The mom knew she was breaking my policy, but I absolutely should have stood up to her. I have in the past, but today...I don't know...I caved.

We have had a few disagreements in the last couple of weeks, so this one threw me for a loop. I just didn't expect the disrespect so soon.
Ariana 11:54 AM 01-21-2020

It is with a heavy heart that I write to let you know that I will no longer be able to provide care for X. It seems that my programs policies are no longer a good fit for your family. This letter will serve as your two-week termination notice. Care will be terminated on Thursday, February 6th. Your last invoice for care will be sent on Thursday January 30th.

Signed,
Me

Just added a little bit.
Msdunny 12:35 PM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:

It is with a heavy heart that I write to let you know that I will no longer be able to provide care for X. It seems that my programs policies are no longer a good fit for your family. This letter will serve as your two-week termination notice. Care will be terminated on Thursday, February 6th. Your last invoice for care will be sent on Thursday January 30th.

Signed,
Me

Just added a little bit.
Thanks. This sounds so much better, and is the thoughful letter I was wanting to write. I just couldn't quite get my emotions there. Thanks again!!
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 01-21-2020
I’d term immediate today at pick for disregarding the 48 hr policy.

No way would I provide an additional two weeks for this family to be even crappier.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 01-21-2020
DCP

This is notice of immediate termination of our child care agreement.
Effective today. 1/21/2020 No further services will be provided.

Failure to abide by program policies as well as a direct disregard for the health and well being of others in care have made it impossible to remain enrolled in ABC Daycare.

Signed,
Done being walked on

Snowmom 12:51 PM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
DCP

Failure to abide by program policies as well as a direct disregard for the health and well being of others in care have made it impossible to remain enrolled in ABC Daycare.

Signed,
Done being walked on
I agree.

There is no way I'd expect her to abide by ANY policies during the term period. It's best just to cut ties and not have a domino effect going forward.
Ariana 01:03 PM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
DCP

Signed,
Done being walked on
Agreed!!! This might be a much better way to go for this situation.
Msdunny 03:32 PM 01-21-2020
Well, that didn't go well. Mom is freaking out and texting every few minutes asking me to reconsider. Telling me they will not be able to find quality care for their girls in 2 weeks.

I need to have a glass of wine and go to bed. But I am glad I went ahead and ripped the band-aid off.
Unregistered 04:04 PM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Well, that didn't go well. Mom is freaking out and texting every few minutes asking me to reconsider. Telling me they will not be able to find quality care for their girls in 2 weeks.

I need to have a glass of wine and go to bed. But I am glad I went ahead and ripped the band-aid off.

I've been there. I wait a bit and then respond only once about the decision being final. They did not appreciate the quality care they had.
Ariana 08:30 PM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:

I guess she should have thought about that before she treated you like a doormat!
daycarebc 11:17 PM 02-17-2020
Going to jump in here regarding termination, for a different reason. (I can’t figure out how to make a new post).

DCB5 does before and after school care. I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into at the beginning of the year. First 3 months were fine but lately it has been ROUGH. Terminated care and gave 3 weeks notice (minimum for non safety related issues in my policy). I was very respectful and said it had nothing to do with the kid or the parents. Parents flipped out, are posting on social media about it, and complaining and trying to get me to bend the rules for them even though I said I was only doing full day care now. I am beside myself... I work so hard and pour so much into these kids and the parents just think about themselves. They are talking about having to quit their jobs because I didn’t wait until the end of the school year to change my program. I even started to help them look for care but as soon as I saw what they were putting on social media I was just done.... not even wanting to see them tomorrow...
Ariana 04:09 AM 02-18-2020
Do an immediate termination for defamation of character online. Do not let them in your home and let then know you tried to handle this professionally but they have now made it a hostile environment and you no longer feel comfortable. Then block them on all social media sites.

Are you licensed in BC?
Msdunny 06:46 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do an immediate termination for defamation of character online. Do not let them in your home and let then know you tried to handle this professionally but they have now made it a hostile environment and you no longer feel comfortable. Then block them on all social media sites.
This is absolutely what I would do. I did this as the end of my terminated family's last day. Then I also blocked their number on my phone after a particularly nasty text sent after she hadn't spoken to me for 2 weeks. I don't have time for stuff like that, and I'm not in high school so you can't intimidate me. Be done with people who give you grief!
AmyKidsCo 01:39 PM 02-21-2020
I don't know if either of you is licensed, but if you are, give your licensor a head's up that you terminated these families. That way if they call to report you the licensor will know it's probably because they're mad.
ColorfulLearning 03:31 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't know if either of you is licensed, but if you are, give your licensor a head's up that you terminated these families. That way if they call to report you the licensor will know it's probably because they're mad.
omg yes! this is one of the reasons I use text and upload all letters and notices to kinderlime. I print text messages and put them in the kids file. My licensor told me to always do that because parents will be fine until you enforce a policy or terminate and then call them to "report" something lol and she told me that even if its not real they are required to investigate so protect yourself in every way possible at all times. So I have one parent that always want to talk on the phone, she even said she doesn't believe in texting and that she rather talk to the person, but I still TEXT everything! Even a minor injury, that way I have their response even though I have them sign the injury report. Ive never had a real injury but still, even a little "oh I told him to stop climbing in the chair and then he slipped and bumped his lip"...right on text and then have them sign the paper when they get home and I print both and file it. Wont be lying on me! bc IDK how "cool" a parent is, they will turn on you in a heartbeat if things aren't going their way! not all parents but you never know. a tad off topic lol but always protect yourself.
VAmomof4 12:50 PM 02-26-2020
I wouldn't have thought to put this in my contract. I have a small home daycare (4 kids).Do a lot of you do this or is it a mandatory state rule?
Tags:complaint - false, termination letter, termination retaliation
Reply Up