Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OK, I am DESPERATE for Help/Advice
sahm2three 11:48 AM 01-11-2011
Here are pics of my living area upstairs where myself and the toddlers and babies spend most of our time:

From entry way into living room (keep in mind, I have NO space set aside for JUST daycare, it is all my families home):

Looking into same room from the dining room:

So you can see some of the stuff the littles have to play with. It's hard to see the toy boxes behind the gate with Little People, play kitchen food, cars, balls, etc.

Ok, so this is the living area, which circles around to the dining area, into the kitchen, and back into the entry way and back around to the living area. So, I blocked it off so that they had to stay in the living area. Kind of worked, but now I couldn't put the baby down at all because they ran from one end of the room to the other. So put up a play pen for the baby, they ran circles around it holding onto it and almost knocked it over! So, I blocked them in even more. I just am at a loss. They run every where. The oldest 2 year old started kicking, punching, and pushing everyone today (play fighting). I kept after him to stop and he wouldn't. I started to try to video the room for you to see, but had to intervene. Ugh. I am worn out.

Let's see if the video will load:

Nope. Video wouldn't load, but you can see the tallest of the kids. He is the ring leader. I had to intervene because he started once again, punching and kicking everyone. Like I said, I am completely worn out! Any ideas? This is the thing, I don't want to make my home a daycare center. But I need to figure out a way to block them from running crazy. Or maybe it is just the kids I have? Ugh. Thanks in advance!
Blackcat31 11:51 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:

First I am sorry I can't offer any help but I have to comment on your dog in the last picture.....he looks as though he is trying to get the hell out fast and looking over his shoulder to make sure no one follows! Too cute!
dEHmom 11:53 AM 01-11-2011
can you not put the playpen in a bedroom? Away from all the madness?
It sounds like they have a lot of energy they need to burn off. Maybe time to take them outside?

I find if they are not listening, and just going crazy, a 15 minute quiet time is in order. They each have to have some quiet time. I get them to lay on the couch/mats/beds (whatever is going on at the time) and I close the blinds. Put on some quiet music, and they have to be quiet for 10-15 mins. If they get out of their spot, then it starts all over again.
AnythingsPossible 12:09 PM 01-11-2011
Your living area is similar to mine, though maybe a bit longer. Your furniture arrangement may have something to do with the running issue. It is a long alley way that is just begging to be run! Also, if you have a circle, which it appears you do, again, something just draws them to run around it. I would put a gate at the entrance to your kitchen area (I'm assuming your kitchen is connected to it all) and I would position your couch so that it faces your piano. Place your chair along the wall where your couch currently is. Anytime I have tried to have an open living room arrangement, it has just created chaos. While moving your furniture may not make your room as open, it will definately discourage the running. If I get time later, I will post pics of our living area, which is also my whole daycare area.
AnythingsPossible 12:11 PM 01-11-2011
Oh, and I've totally used my footstool as a blocking apparatus as well!!!
mac60 12:22 PM 01-11-2011
If 1 child is the ringleader...I would confine him to a high chair as a time out each and every time he runs, kicks, pushes or punches or does the things he is not supposed to. Amazing how just 1 child can ruin the dynamics for all. If he needs confined to cool off then so be it.

Your home is very nice. Love the colors.

Maybe use the gate system and make an enclosed play area for the younger ones. Then if the 2 yr old continues to act up, switch them, put him in the enclosed play area.

I like the above idea of making the space 2 spaces with the couch, maybe use a play area and pnk on one end, the older ones on the other end?
sahm2three 12:27 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
Your living area is similar to mine, though maybe a bit longer. Your furniture arrangement may have something to do with the running issue. It is a long alley way that is just begging to be run! Also, if you have a circle, which it appears you do, again, something just draws them to run around it. I would put a gate at the entrance to your kitchen area (I'm assuming your kitchen is connected to it all) and I would position your couch so that it faces your piano. Place your chair along the wall where your couch currently is. Anytime I have tried to have an open living room arrangement, it has just created chaos. While moving your furniture may not make your room as open, it will definately discourage the running. If I get time later, I will post pics of our living area, which is also my whole daycare area.
That won't work. I mean, it would probably deter them from running, but it wouldn't work with the fireplace and flatscreen. We have had it that way before, when we first moved in and my kids were really little. The couch would have to be in the area of the fireplace with the right side against the wall. Leaving no room for the piano (assuming we would move the fireplace and flatscreen to the wall where the piano is leaving behind the couch as the play area (which is the way it was before too, and did work fine). But now we have this huge piano, and it wouldn't go anywhere else. Sooooo, I don't think that rearranging the room would work. And like I said, we want to keep it our home first, and a daycare second. So I am going to have to figure out something better with the gates. ugh.
sahm2three 12:31 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
If 1 child is the ringleader...I would confine him to a high chair as a time out each and every time he runs, kicks, pushes or punches or does the things he is not supposed to. Amazing how just 1 child can ruin the dynamics for all. If he needs confined to cool off then so be it.

Your home is very nice. Love the colors.

Maybe use the gate system and make an enclosed play area for the younger ones. Then if the 2 yr old continues to act up, switch them, put him in the enclosed play area.

I like the above idea of making the space 2 spaces with the couch, maybe use a play area and pnk on one end, the older ones on the other end?
Thank you! I LOVE color. My hubby would say that for a long time he would come home from work and I would have painted another wall! LOL! But most of the walls I have painted the way I like them and haven't painted for a while! LOL!

Thanks for the advice about the ring leader! I will have to give it a try! He spent quite a while in the kitchen with me while I cooked lunch. He wasn't happy and really wanted to go play but I didn't give in. Hope he gets it sooner rather than later!
MommyMuffin 01:36 PM 01-11-2011
Can someone tell me why I never seem to be able to see pictures?
Michael 01:49 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Can someone tell me why I never seem to be able to see pictures?
I know a few have had this problem before. You are logged in and can't see them?
Michael 01:53 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Nope. Video wouldn't load, but you can see the tallest of the kids. He is the ring leader. I had to intervene because he started once again, punching and kicking everyone. Like I said, I am completely worn out! Any ideas? This is the thing, I don't want to make my home a daycare center. But I need to figure out a way to block them from running crazy. Or maybe it is just the kids I have? Ugh. Thanks in advance!
The only way to show video here is to put it on Youtube and link it from here.
AnythingsPossible 04:53 AM 01-12-2011
If the running wild is a daily behavior, I truly think you need to rethink furniture placement. If it is the ring leader that instigates the majority of it, maybe he needs to spend a little more table time for a few days till he gets tired of having to sit out and decides to behave himself. To stop the running around the playpen, could you put it against a wall? Or move the curtains over more and place little one by the window? I have a little guy who stirs everyone else up, but he usually waits till his brother gets off the bus so I only have a few hours to try to reign him in!
melskids 05:02 AM 01-12-2011
where is Nannyde?

you have to read her post about "circling the post"

lol
sahm2three 07:09 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
where is Nannyde?

you have to read her post about "circling the post"

lol
I have been WAITING for nannyde! LOL! What is it with circling?! The ring leader does the same thing with him mom when she comes! The wildness that happens when mom comes drives me bonkers!!!
Lilbutterflie 07:30 AM 01-12-2011
Could you maybe put the playpen in a corner with a gate around the exposed playpen, and open up the rest of the space?

Your ring leader needs an outlet for his energy, so I would also suggest more indoor physical activities or outside time to get their energy out. Dancing to music, indoor hopscotch, spread them out and lead a kids aerobic-type activity (ex: spread out and lead some stretching, then lead them in jumping, jump on one foot, froggy leaping, bunny hopping, etc...).
sahm2three 07:35 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Could you maybe put the playpen in a corner with a gate around the exposed playpen, and open up the rest of the space?

Your ring leader needs an outlet for his energy, so I would also suggest more indoor physical activities or outside time to get their energy out. Dancing to music, indoor hopscotch, spread them out and lead a kids aerobic-type activity (ex: spread out and lead some stretching, then lead them in jumping, jump on one foot, froggy leaping, bunny hopping, etc...).
This is one thing that we do. Dance to get some energy out. We do this EVERY day. But this seems to get ring leader more wound up! He shoves people down constantly. I had him dance in the enclosure thing by himself today. He just pouted. No dancing. It has been below zero all week this week, so no outside time! I am going to try the playpen agains the wall to see if I can stop the circling. But still won't stop the running. Ugh. Thanks for your advice!
Tags:running
Reply Up