Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM
sahm2three's Avatar
sahm2three sahm2three is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,113
Default OK, I am DESPERATE for Help/Advice

Here are pics of my living area upstairs where myself and the toddlers and babies spend most of our time:

From entry way into living room (keep in mind, I have NO space set aside for JUST daycare, it is all my families home):


Looking into same room from the dining room:


So you can see some of the stuff the littles have to play with. It's hard to see the toy boxes behind the gate with Little People, play kitchen food, cars, balls, etc.


Ok, so this is the living area, which circles around to the dining area, into the kitchen, and back into the entry way and back around to the living area. So, I blocked it off so that they had to stay in the living area. Kind of worked, but now I couldn't put the baby down at all because they ran from one end of the room to the other. So put up a play pen for the baby, they ran circles around it holding onto it and almost knocked it over! So, I blocked them in even more. I just am at a loss. They run every where. The oldest 2 year old started kicking, punching, and pushing everyone today (play fighting). I kept after him to stop and he wouldn't. I started to try to video the room for you to see, but had to intervene. Ugh. I am worn out.

Let's see if the video will load:


Nope. Video wouldn't load, but you can see the tallest of the kids. He is the ring leader. I had to intervene because he started once again, punching and kicking everyone. Like I said, I am completely worn out! Any ideas? This is the thing, I don't want to make my home a daycare center. But I need to figure out a way to block them from running crazy. Or maybe it is just the kids I have? Ugh. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2three View Post

First I am sorry I can't offer any help but I have to comment on your dog in the last picture.....he looks as though he is trying to get the hell out fast and looking over his shoulder to make sure no one follows! Too cute!

Last edited by Michael; 01-11-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 AM
dEHmom's Avatar
dEHmom dEHmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada EH
Posts: 2,354
Default

can you not put the playpen in a bedroom? Away from all the madness?
It sounds like they have a lot of energy they need to burn off. Maybe time to take them outside?

I find if they are not listening, and just going crazy, a 15 minute quiet time is in order. They each have to have some quiet time. I get them to lay on the couch/mats/beds (whatever is going on at the time) and I close the blinds. Put on some quiet music, and they have to be quiet for 10-15 mins. If they get out of their spot, then it starts all over again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
AnythingsPossible's Avatar
AnythingsPossible AnythingsPossible is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 801
Default

Your living area is similar to mine, though maybe a bit longer. Your furniture arrangement may have something to do with the running issue. It is a long alley way that is just begging to be run! Also, if you have a circle, which it appears you do, again, something just draws them to run around it. I would put a gate at the entrance to your kitchen area (I'm assuming your kitchen is connected to it all) and I would position your couch so that it faces your piano. Place your chair along the wall where your couch currently is. Anytime I have tried to have an open living room arrangement, it has just created chaos. While moving your furniture may not make your room as open, it will definately discourage the running. If I get time later, I will post pics of our living area, which is also my whole daycare area.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
AnythingsPossible's Avatar
AnythingsPossible AnythingsPossible is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 801
Default

Oh, and I've totally used my footstool as a blocking apparatus as well!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
mac60's Avatar
mac60 mac60 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,597
Default

If 1 child is the ringleader...I would confine him to a high chair as a time out each and every time he runs, kicks, pushes or punches or does the things he is not supposed to. Amazing how just 1 child can ruin the dynamics for all. If he needs confined to cool off then so be it.

Your home is very nice. Love the colors.

Maybe use the gate system and make an enclosed play area for the younger ones. Then if the 2 yr old continues to act up, switch them, put him in the enclosed play area.

I like the above idea of making the space 2 spaces with the couch, maybe use a play area and pnk on one end, the older ones on the other end?
__________________
mom to many.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 PM
sahm2three's Avatar
sahm2three sahm2three is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom View Post
Your living area is similar to mine, though maybe a bit longer. Your furniture arrangement may have something to do with the running issue. It is a long alley way that is just begging to be run! Also, if you have a circle, which it appears you do, again, something just draws them to run around it. I would put a gate at the entrance to your kitchen area (I'm assuming your kitchen is connected to it all) and I would position your couch so that it faces your piano. Place your chair along the wall where your couch currently is. Anytime I have tried to have an open living room arrangement, it has just created chaos. While moving your furniture may not make your room as open, it will definately discourage the running. If I get time later, I will post pics of our living area, which is also my whole daycare area.
That won't work. I mean, it would probably deter them from running, but it wouldn't work with the fireplace and flatscreen. We have had it that way before, when we first moved in and my kids were really little. The couch would have to be in the area of the fireplace with the right side against the wall. Leaving no room for the piano (assuming we would move the fireplace and flatscreen to the wall where the piano is leaving behind the couch as the play area (which is the way it was before too, and did work fine). But now we have this huge piano, and it wouldn't go anywhere else. Sooooo, I don't think that rearranging the room would work. And like I said, we want to keep it our home first, and a daycare second. So I am going to have to figure out something better with the gates. ugh.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
sahm2three's Avatar
sahm2three sahm2three is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
If 1 child is the ringleader...I would confine him to a high chair as a time out each and every time he runs, kicks, pushes or punches or does the things he is not supposed to. Amazing how just 1 child can ruin the dynamics for all. If he needs confined to cool off then so be it.

Your home is very nice. Love the colors.

Maybe use the gate system and make an enclosed play area for the younger ones. Then if the 2 yr old continues to act up, switch them, put him in the enclosed play area.

I like the above idea of making the space 2 spaces with the couch, maybe use a play area and pnk on one end, the older ones on the other end?
Thank you! I LOVE color. My hubby would say that for a long time he would come home from work and I would have painted another wall! LOL! But most of the walls I have painted the way I like them and haven't painted for a while! LOL!

Thanks for the advice about the ring leader! I will have to give it a try! He spent quite a while in the kitchen with me while I cooked lunch. He wasn't happy and really wanted to go play but I didn't give in. Hope he gets it sooner rather than later!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
MommyMuffin's Avatar
MommyMuffin MommyMuffin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 887
Default

Can someone tell me why I never seem to be able to see pictures?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin View Post
Can someone tell me why I never seem to be able to see pictures?
I know a few have had this problem before. You are logged in and can't see them?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2three View Post
Nope. Video wouldn't load, but you can see the tallest of the kids. He is the ring leader. I had to intervene because he started once again, punching and kicking everyone. Like I said, I am completely worn out! Any ideas? This is the thing, I don't want to make my home a daycare center. But I need to figure out a way to block them from running crazy. Or maybe it is just the kids I have? Ugh. Thanks in advance!
The only way to show video here is to put it on Youtube and link it from here.

Last edited by Michael; 10-04-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2011, 04:53 AM
AnythingsPossible's Avatar
AnythingsPossible AnythingsPossible is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 801
Default

If the running wild is a daily behavior, I truly think you need to rethink furniture placement. If it is the ring leader that instigates the majority of it, maybe he needs to spend a little more table time for a few days till he gets tired of having to sit out and decides to behave himself. To stop the running around the playpen, could you put it against a wall? Or move the curtains over more and place little one by the window? I have a little guy who stirs everyone else up, but he usually waits till his brother gets off the bus so I only have a few hours to try to reign him in!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 AM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767
Default

where is Nannyde?

you have to read her post about "circling the post"

lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 AM
sahm2three's Avatar
sahm2three sahm2three is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melskids View Post
where is Nannyde?

you have to read her post about "circling the post"

lol
I have been WAITING for nannyde! LOL! What is it with circling?! The ring leader does the same thing with him mom when she comes! The wildness that happens when mom comes drives me bonkers!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Lilbutterflie's Avatar
Lilbutterflie Lilbutterflie is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,366
Default

Could you maybe put the playpen in a corner with a gate around the exposed playpen, and open up the rest of the space?

Your ring leader needs an outlet for his energy, so I would also suggest more indoor physical activities or outside time to get their energy out. Dancing to music, indoor hopscotch, spread them out and lead a kids aerobic-type activity (ex: spread out and lead some stretching, then lead them in jumping, jump on one foot, froggy leaping, bunny hopping, etc...).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 AM
sahm2three's Avatar
sahm2three sahm2three is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie View Post
Could you maybe put the playpen in a corner with a gate around the exposed playpen, and open up the rest of the space?

Your ring leader needs an outlet for his energy, so I would also suggest more indoor physical activities or outside time to get their energy out. Dancing to music, indoor hopscotch, spread them out and lead a kids aerobic-type activity (ex: spread out and lead some stretching, then lead them in jumping, jump on one foot, froggy leaping, bunny hopping, etc...).
This is one thing that we do. Dance to get some energy out. We do this EVERY day. But this seems to get ring leader more wound up! He shoves people down constantly. I had him dance in the enclosure thing by himself today. He just pouted. No dancing. It has been below zero all week this week, so no outside time! I am going to try the playpen agains the wall to see if I can stop the circling. But still won't stop the running. Ugh. Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
running

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desperate, but is this worth it? DaisyMamma Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 07-23-2012 08:34 AM
Feeling Desperate and Powerless justgettingstarted Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 06-01-2012 04:06 AM
Need Desperate Outdoor Setup Help...Pics SunflowerMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 23 02-23-2011 08:59 AM
Tom Please Help..Desperate twinsand4 Daycare and Taxes 6 02-09-2011 10:51 AM
Ok Ladies Desperate I Need Some Help! cherryhill Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 12-09-2010 11:49 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming