Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Reimburse?
My Lil' Monkeys 03:33 PM 02-09-2011
My own child woke up sick today. No fever but really nasty barking cough. I called and gave all of my dcp a choice if they would like to bring their child. I had 2 out of the 3 dck not come and was just informed that one of those dck will be staying home tomorrow to because my child is still feeling/sounding horrible. I was open today and cared for one dck and tomorrow I'll be open, too.

In my policy it says if I'm "closed" I will reimburse for that day and if their child misses for sickness or other reason they still pay for the day. Would you reimburse because they are not bring their child because your own child is sick? I am open and I have given all of my dcp a choice whether to bring them or not.
daycare 03:35 PM 02-09-2011
I would not, you have to remind your parents that children are contagious even when they dont have symptoms of an illness. So if their child is gonna catch a cold, there is nothing anyone can do about it but wash their hands like crazy and pray they dont get it...

If it was their choice to leave them home then they pay... its not like your kid has chicken pox
Cat Herder 04:13 PM 02-09-2011
Eh.....I am not sure it would be fair to charge them, in this case, for doing the courteous thing for you and your child. Stay with me, I do have a point

IMHO, by calling and giving them the "choice to bring their child" it implies they would not have to pay if they did not come.

From a parents POV, What else would have been the purpose of the call if not to let them know that you would prefer they did not come and were giving them a choice..... to me it would be "a choice to be an a$$ if I felt so entitled", and I would have opted out, too. YKWIM?

That is what I would have heard and I have been on both sides of this fence... Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear

Maybe you could try to not bring up payment at all, you may be surprised and have all pay without any discussion. Crazier things have happened and we tend to create problems where none truly exists, sometimes.
AAA713 04:25 PM 02-09-2011
By giving them a choice they may be thinking of being reimbursed.
kendallina 04:26 PM 02-09-2011
I agree with Catherder. By calling them and giving them the option of coming, I don't think it would be fair to charge them.
nannyde 04:28 PM 02-09-2011
Yes reimburse.

Next time be open or be closed. If you are able to care for the kids and your child then be open. If you are not able to then close.
happykidschildcare 04:30 PM 02-09-2011
If familiy memeber in my home is stayin home sick, they just stay in their room and I will check in and see what they need so they dont come out and get anyone else sick. . Unless its myself sick I'm always open *shrugs* Theres been many times dcp come in and notice hubby or son or daughters car in drive and I say they are home sick today and they have never had a problem leaving their kids in my care. Its always their choice I never hide the fact that if someones sick on the house its announced at the door on arrivals. So if Im open and I myself am well then yep your charged.
But I also charge when a childs abscence for illness, dr appt, etc.
Finally after 8 yrs as a provider this is the first year I wrote in my contract that I get 5 sick/personal days paid per year * yeah me * It took alot of courage ) But hey we work hard and we deserve some kick backs too!!!!!!!
My Lil' Monkeys 04:58 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
If familiy memeber in my home is stayin home sick, they just stay in their room and I will check in and see what they need so they dont come out and get anyone else sick. . Unless its myself sick I'm always open *shrugs* Theres been many times dcp come in and notice hubby or son or daughters car in drive and I say they are home sick today and they have never had a problem leaving their kids in my care. Its always their choice I never hide the fact that if someones sick on the house its announced at the door on arrivals. So if Im open and I myself am well then yep your charged.
But I also charge when a childs abscence for illness, dr appt, etc.
Finally after 8 yrs as a provider this is the first year I wrote in my contract that I get 5 sick/personal days paid per year * yeah me * It took alot of courage ) But hey we work hard and we deserve some kick backs too!!!!!!!
I charge for anytime a dck is out. My little one is only 2 so I stay home to take care of him. He wasn't bad other than the cough so I wanted all my dcps to know he didn't feel good out of respect for my parents. I've decided if they would like a reimbursement for today I will give it, but because the dcp knows I'm open tomorrow and will be caring for other dcks and is choosing to not bring their child I will charge for tomorrow.
Abigail 06:06 PM 02-09-2011
katiez01, That sounds like a good plan. Choice for today to pay since it sounded like a choice and payment for tomorrow IS due whether they attend of not. Next time you call to be nice and inform them someone is sick, I would tell them it's a paid day because you're open.....I wouldn't call unless I was going to close to tell you the truth. It was nice of you too this time. If no one compliments how nice you were, I definitely wouldn't inform them ahead of time again unless you have a child in care who can get sick easily.
GG~DAYCARE 06:18 PM 02-09-2011
When my kids were young enough to have to be in my day care, I would ask myself the question "If a dck has this illness would I allow them to come to DC?" If my answer was "no" I would close and not charge. I always wanted to be fair because when all the others got it the following week I wasn't stuck with a house full of sick DCKs!
My Lil' Monkeys 06:21 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
katiez01, That sounds like a good plan. Choice for today to pay since it sounded like a choice and payment for tomorrow IS due whether they attend of not. Next time you call to be nice and inform them someone is sick, I would tell them it's a paid day because you're open.....I wouldn't call unless I was going to close to tell you the truth. It was nice of you too this time. If no one compliments how nice you were, I definitely wouldn't inform them ahead of time again unless you have a child in care who can get sick easily.
Thank You!! This was the first time one of my own family members have been sick that I felt I needed to inform my parents as my child would be out in the same area. I also called because I have a first time parent and that parent tends to be over protective (which can be a good thing) but I would feel horrible not informing them that my own child wasn't feeling good and have them come to the door with him barking so bad at drop off. Next time I will just close. Do you think if I just informed the overprotective parent if my little one is sick next time that would be ok? I could just see this parent flipping out if they were not informed of his sickness.
Abigail 06:37 PM 02-09-2011
Yes, If you're for sure going to be open, I would only call that one parent who definitely wants to know. Still let them know that it's a courtesy call to them as they requested and that you are open and it is a paid day. Don't have them make their decision on whether to bring their child. Avoid asking "I wanted to know if you still wanted to bring CHILD to my care today because...." I would simply just inform. "Hi PARENT, this is PROVIDER. I am just calling as a courtesy to let you know that CHILD is staying home ill today. My daycare is still open, but I did want to inform you as you requested to know if anyone was ill for CHILD'S concern. Since I'm not closing, fees are still due for today whether you want to bring CHILD to care." and mention what it is that is why your child/family member is sick and reassure you have lots of fun activities planned for all the daycare children and you hope to see CHILD later. That's ending on a good note, you informed them, they know it is a paid day, and you'll just have to wait to see if the child shows up. How does that sound?
Tags:reimbursement
Reply Up