Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated
morgan24 06:02 AM 10-03-2011
First I would like to start off with that I love doing daycare, I love the kids, I love to keep busy. I provide lots of activities, outside time, I have lots of educational toys, I don't use anything that has batteries, T.V. I like them to be creative with the toys. T.V. only when I'm preparing lunch and then not every day. I've been doing it for 17 years and have seen a lot of change thru the years with the states licensing process.

I'm really frustrated with the State of MI. I just got a letter that MI is starting a tiered quality rating and improvement system. It's a five level system that is voluntary right now. It is to improve children's early learning and development and school readiness.

One of the reasons it frustrates me is in my area we can not even fill our spaces as it is and most of us work 10 to 12 hours a day doing care and then have families with our own children who need to do after school sports and other things. Now we can move up in the tiers of this program by moving up levels and from my understanding paying for the top two. Daycare here is already costly enough keeping your license. I don't really think the level that we are at in my area is going to make a difference in if someone chooses me or someone else to provide care for their children. Since it's voluntary I probably will not go up any levels at this time. I wish they about the providers before they add any extras to our lives, because my life is full and some years, I have to scrape up the time to even do the 10 hours of training that they require.
Zoe 06:10 AM 10-03-2011
I hear ya! Just one more thing to do and one more thing that can cost us kids. Honestly, to me, it sounds like a silly system that will make parents feel better about getting "the best care" when it sounds like (from what you said) the top tiers are actually about who pays for the "honor". Sorry you're going through that.
momofsix 06:47 AM 10-03-2011
It came in my in-box last week. I'll maybe go to three stars, but I'll never do 4 & 5. There's no way I could have someone observe me in my home all day-I'm way too uncomfortable around strangers for that! (I know, I should just grow up and stop being shy-but it is what it is!)
I don't think it will change anything I do. I've always been full and usually have a "waiting list" which is silly b/c I've never called anyone on it! I get calls from the state website at times, but all of my families that I actually have are word of mouth.
I agree that it's a way for parents to feel good about their child care choice, without any real substance. "My child goes to a 5 star program, what's yours?" They certainly won't be able to pay more for 5 stars!
I don't know how they can launch these new things when our state is so broke right now anyhow!
Heidi 08:11 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
First I would like to start off with that I love doing daycare, I love the kids, I love to keep busy. I provide lots of activities, outside time, I have lots of educational toys, I don't use anything that has batteries, T.V. I like them to be creative with the toys. T.V. only when I'm preparing lunch and then not every day. I've been doing it for 17 years and have seen a lot of change thru the years with the states licensing process.

I'm really frustrated with the State of MI. I just got a letter that MI is starting a tiered quality rating and improvement system. It's a five level system that is voluntary right now. It is to improve children's early learning and development and school readiness.

One of the reasons it frustrates me is in my area we can not even fill our spaces as it is and most of us work 10 to 12 hours a day doing care and then have families with our own children who need to do after school sports and other things. Now we can move up in the tiers of this program by moving up levels and from my understanding paying for the top two. Daycare here is already costly enough keeping your license. I don't really think the level that we are at in my area is going to make a difference in if someone chooses me or someone else to provide care for their children. Since it's voluntary I probably will not go up any levels at this time. I wish they about the providers before they add any extras to our lives, because my life is full and some years, I have to scrape up the time to even do the 10 hours of training that they require.
Wisconsin just started one, and most of us think it's a big waste of money. If you take state funded kids, you must participate. In order to be a 5 star, the standards are rather ridiculous. Sharing my annual budget with a "parent board"? I have two families in care, and one has 4 children. She barely has time to check in at the beginning or end of the day, let alone be on my "board"

THen the handwashing: wash hands EVERY time a child touches the dog, his own face, another child's face? Sanitizing the eating table if a child puts his elbows on it during a meal? After washing hands, they walk to the table, and oops! they touched their face, the wall, another child's or their own shirt...and guess what...go back and wash again! One little girl has allergies, and sneezes about 20 times a day. That's already 20 handwashings, plus bathroom, before meals, and comming in from outside. What ELSE will she get to do besides wash hands?

I'd have to clone myself 5 times. One of me for each child, and another to prepare meals and plan activities. Some days it already feels like that!
My Daycare 08:16 AM 10-03-2011

My Daycare 08:17 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
Wisconsin just started one, and most of us think it's a big waste of money. If you take state funded kids, you must participate. In order to be a 5 star, the standards are rather ridiculous. Sharing my annual budget with a "parent board"? I have two families in care, and one has 4 children. She barely has time to check in at the beginning or end of the day, let alone be on my "board"

THen the handwashing: wash hands EVERY time a child touches the dog, his own face, another child's face? Sanitizing the eating table if a child puts his elbows on it during a meal? After washing hands, they walk to the table, and oops! they touched their face, the wall, another child's or their own shirt...and guess what...go back and wash again! One little girl has allergies, and sneezes about 20 times a day. That's already 20 handwashings, plus bathroom, before meals, and comming in from outside. What ELSE will she get to do besides wash hands?

I'd have to clone myself 5 times. One of me for each child, and another to prepare meals and plan activities. Some days it already feels like that!

Blackcat31 08:48 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
It came in my in-box last week. I'll maybe go to three stars, but I'll never do 4 & 5. There's no way I could have someone observe me in my home all day-I'm way too uncomfortable around strangers for that! (I know, I should just grow up and stop being shy-but it is what it is!)
I don't think it will change anything I do. I've always been full and usually have a "waiting list" which is silly b/c I've never called anyone on it! I get calls from the state website at times, but all of my families that I actually have are word of mouth.
I agree that it's a way for parents to feel good about their child care choice, without any real substance. "My child goes to a 5 star program, what's yours?" They certainly won't be able to pay more for 5 stars!
I don't know how they can launch these new things when our state is so broke right now anyhow!
The real substance they are paying more for is the additional education and training a provider has. I agree that I can see the negatives in state rating systems however, I also thought with almost 2 decades under my belt with hands on child care that I knew pretty much everything there is to know about caring for kids. The rating system is designed for the education of children NOT just the care of them. Each year I am in school working towards my ECE degree I realize how much I did not know about the development and growth of children. That is the substance that is part of the rating systems.

I do not agree with all the things the rating systems are shooting for and all the things they will now require providers to do but one thing they will do is separate the child care providers and the educational providers. Yes, we are all 'teachers' but in reality some of the providers have trainings and degrees to back it up and that should count for something while others are just really awesome at providing quality care with the implied intent to teach the kids a few things along the way.

I am saddened by the OP's comment that she barely has time to do the 10 hours of yearly (or bi-annual) training required now. As a parent, that would make me uncomfortable.
morgan24 09:59 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The real substance they are paying more for is the additional education and training a provider has. I agree that I can see the negatives in state rating systems however, I also thought with almost 2 decades under my belt with hands on child care that I knew pretty much everything there is to know about caring for kids. The rating system is designed for the education of children NOT just the care of them. Each year I am in school working towards my ECE degree I realize how much I did not know about the development and growth of children. That is the substance that is part of the rating systems.

I do not agree with all the things the rating systems are shooting for and all the things they will now require providers to do but one thing they will do is separate the child care providers and the educational providers. Yes, we are all 'teachers' but in reality some of the providers have trainings and degrees to back it up and that should count for something while others are just really awesome at providing quality care with the implied intent to teach the kids a few things along the way.

I am saddened by the OP's comment that she barely has time to do the 10 hours of yearly (or bi-annual) training required now. As a parent, that would make me uncomfortable.
Don't be saddened for me, most of the parents that I do care for had no idea that I even took or needed 10 hours of training. Most of the classes that are worth attending are 80 miles away and usually on a Saturday. My Saturdays are filled up with helping take care of my elderly father, doing his laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning house and getting him to his appointments. Plus I have grandchildren, nieces, and nephews and past dcks in sports and that do other activities that I like to attend. I have a busy life outside of daycare, that is just the way it is.

I chose to do daycare to offer children a safe, clean fun place to go when their parents work. I'm not a teacher and never have claimed to be one. I don't do a preschool type program. But I always have stuff available for them to be creative with. I give any one who does have a preschool program lots of credit, it is something that I'm not interested in. I agree that we are teachers to some extent, but I prefer to offer family care by making the kids that I care for a part of my family. I do teach them, good manners, how to take care of what they got out, to be kind to each other, colors, and numbers. Being rated on a tier system is not going to change anything for me, I will still be a family daycare.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Don't be saddened for me, most of the parents that I do care for had no idea that I even took or needed 10 hours of training. Most of the classes that are worth attending are 80 miles away and usually on a Saturday. My Saturdays are filled up with helping take care of my elderly father, doing his laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning house and getting him to his appointments. Plus I have grandchildren, nieces, and nephews and past dcks in sports and that do other activities that I like to attend. I have a busy life outside of daycare, that is just the way it is.

I chose to do daycare to offer children a safe, clean fun place to go when their parents work. I'm not a teacher and never have claimed to be one. I don't do a preschool type program. But I always have stuff available for them to be creative with. I give any one who does have a preschool program lots of credit, it is something that I'm not interested in. I agree that we are teachers to some extent, but I prefer to offer family care by making the kids that I care for a part of my family. I do teach them, good manners, how to take care of what they got out, to be kind to each other, colors, and numbers. Being rated on a tier system is not going to change anything for me, I will still be a family daycare.
Sounds like you have a good thing going . One of the things I am trying to lobby for in my state is to separate the rating system into two distinct categories. One for "preschool" type programs and one for care providers. That way the family childcare provider who runs her business like you (in a high quality manner) should be able to earn 4 or 5 stars doing what they do best.....care, safe and nurturing environment. That way, the type of program you run (which is great by the way) doesn't get lost in the shuffle and blended into the system with centers and preschools that obviously offer more in way of education and not so much for quality care....kwim?

Also, have you looked into any online courses to meet your 10 hour training requirements? Sometimes, that is a fantastic alternative?
morgan24 01:53 PM 10-03-2011
[quote=Blackcat31;150551]Sounds like you have a good thing going . One of the things I am trying to lobby for in my state is to separate the rating system into two distinct categories. One for "preschool" type programs and one for care providers. That way the family childcare provider who runs her business like you (in a high quality manner) should be able to earn 4 or 5 stars doing what they do best.....care, safe and nurturing environment. That way, the type of program you run (which is great by the way) doesn't get lost in the shuffle and blended into the system with centers and preschools that obviously offer more in way of education and not so much for quality care....kwim?

Also, have you looked into any online courses to meet your 10 hour training requirements? Sometimes, that is a fantastic alternative? [/QUO

Thanks, you are so right and that would be a much better rating system instead of trying to lump everyone together.

I did take a care course this year it was a ten hour training and it was on a subject that applied to the type of daycare that I have. MI doesn't except every on line course so I have to be careful or it won't count.
Tags:frustrated, michigan, rating system
Reply Up