Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Interview!!
Oneluckymom 08:25 PM 10-10-2011
Ok, so this will be my second interview. The mom is expecting her second child and no I won't be watching her first born ( she's already in a preschool). I was wondering what an expecting parent will be looking for during an interview. What should I go over with her and her husband. Of course I know they want to know my policies. Any other advice? I would love for this to go well. Thanks.
Meeko 06:54 AM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Ok, so this will be my second interview. The mom is expecting her second child and no I won't be watching her first born ( she's already in a preschool). I was wondering what an expecting parent will be looking for during an interview. What should I go over with her and her husband. Of course I know they want to know my policies. Any other advice? I would love for this to go well. Thanks.
I let the parents in and greet them. Then I say "Let me show you around and feel free to ask any questions". We then walk around our day care and I tell them a little about each area, what we do etc. This usually prompts comments or questions and gets the conversation going. (Sitting straight down on a couch can be awkward.) This way I am also leading the interview instead of sitting there looking like a kid in the principal's office.

I can usually get a feel for the parent's parenting style and needs as we talk. After we have looked around, THEN I invite them to sit down and ask if they have any further questions. If they don't, I ask any that might have popped into my mind while walking around the day care.

If they seem interested, I pull out the paperwork and we go over it together. I explain a bit more about policies, payment etc. I then tell them to take the paperwork home, read it thoroughly and call me if they have any questions. I let them know that the spot is not filled until I get all the signed paperwork and money in hand.

I used to be nervous at interview and I think it showed. I acted as if was applying for a job. It gave parents confidence to try and change rates and policies etc, as if they were in charge.

Now I am confident and it is obvious to the parent that I am a business woman and that I run my day care a certain way. They are free to buy what I offer, but they cannot change things. I act very friendly and very polite, but I leave no room for negotiation. I couldn't work if I had 16 "bosses". I am the boss. Once I was confident about that, interviews were easy. If they like me...great. If they don't like me...great.

If the interview goes well, but I am not sure if I want to take the child (or the parents!), I simply tell them that I am interviewing several more people in the next few days and I will call and let them know which child I decide to take.
GretasLittleFriends 07:09 AM 10-11-2011
OP, I am sure the parents will want to know what you plan to do for their infant. Do you allow breast milk? What will their day be like, where will the baby sleep? What sort, if any, interaction will the little one have with other children? Stuff like that.

Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I let the parents in and greet them. Then I say "Let me show you around and feel free to ask any questions". We then walk around our day care and I tell them a little about each area, what we do etc. This usually prompts comments or questions and gets the conversation going. (Sitting straight down on a couch can be awkward.) This way I am also leading the interview instead of sitting there looking like a kid in the principal's office.

I can usually get a feel for the parent's parenting style and needs as we talk. After we have looked around, THEN I invite them to sit down and ask if they have any further questions. If they don't, I ask any that might have popped into my mind while walking around the day care.

If they seem interested, I pull out the paperwork and we go over it together. I explain a bit more about policies, payment etc. I then tell them to take the paperwork home, read it thoroughly and call me if they have any questions. I let them know that the spot is not filled until I get all the signed paperwork and money in hand.

I used to be nervous at interview and I think it showed. I acted as if was applying for a job. It gave parents confidence to try and change rates and policies etc, as if they were in charge.

Now I am confident and it is obvious to the parent that I am a business woman and that I run my day care a certain way. They are free to buy what I offer, but they cannot change things. I act very friendly and very polite, but I leave no room for negotiation. I couldn't work if I had 16 "bosses". I am the boss. Once I was confident about that, interviews were easy. If they like me...great. If they don't like me...great.

If the interview goes well, but I am not sure if I want to take the child (or the parents!), I simply tell them that I am interviewing several more people in the next few days and I will call and let them know which child I decide to take.
I like the approach you take! I think I will have to use that next time I have an opening. It seems much less intimidating. I think that would help me relax better during the interview too. The way you described child in the principal's office, well, I never thought of it that way.
Oneluckymom 09:06 AM 10-11-2011
Thanks, and Meeko60....I was a little nervous at my first interview and I know what you mean when you said "feeling like your in the principles office" I kinda did feel that way...lol.
Tags:interview follow up, pregnant
Reply Up