Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Let Kids Spit Out Their Food?
Zoe 09:52 AM 02-13-2013
Or do you make them keep it in their mouths? I've got a 24 month old who will put something in his mouth then if he doesn't like it he "blahs" it all over the plate. It's disgusting! But if I tell him not to do that he'll just hold it in his mouth! I don't want to have fights with food but I really don't think spitting out your food is a great skill I want them to learn.

I have tried offering him food that I know he loves to get him to swallow the "yucky" food along with the "yummy" food. But it doesn't work. Then the good food is just right there in his mouth with the other stuff.

He's a stubborn one so I'm looking for ideas please!
EchoMom 10:10 AM 02-13-2013
I'm sure I won't be much help, but in my experience you really can't force them... I have a kid that when I have her take a bite, the minute it hits her tongue she sticks her tongue out and lets the food fall out of her mouth, but what can I do? I can't force her to swallow or shove it back in. They can control their tongues and swallowing, you can't make them, IMO.

I have a different small problem, sometimes the kids (mostly my DS) will eat a bunch of food and then when he's to full to swallow but it's still delish! (today, sauteed green beans with real bacon, sweet potato, and organic carrot, SO GOOD!) he starts to squirrel it away in his cheeks! He's too full to swallow, but it's so good wants to have more or hold on to it!

After awhile when he's walking around with a food wad in his mouth and he seems to have forgotten it's even there (or meat that he can't totally chew up) i just have to prompt him to spit it into a napkin.
Willow 10:16 AM 02-13-2013
Ick ick ick!

If a kiddo of a reasonable age does it that meal or snack is done. Their plate is removed and they are immediately removed from the table.

Eventually they figure out when they spit out their food they end up hungry.

I do the exact same thing with 1-2 year olds who think it's awesome to throw their cups, bowls, plates and food onto the floor.
rmc20021 10:26 AM 02-13-2013
My opinion, there's not much you can do except let them spit out that bite if it's obvious they don't like it. They won't be putting more into their mouths so they won't keep spitting it out and that's the only way they know to get that awful taste out of their mouth.

IF, they keep taking bites and spitting it out, they're done because all they're doing at that point is playing around and it would cause other young children to try to copy, and it would teach all of them it's ok to play with your food.

Any child, no matter how old...once they start throwing their food or cups, I do the same thing...they're done! Clean them up and remove them from the table as they're obviously not hungry.

I'm very strict at the table though. I allow some talking, but if they're talking more than they're eating I try to tone it down some. If they are playing around, I make the main culprit leave the table until everyone else is finished and then they may return to finish their own meal (if they had not eaten enough to where I feel they are comfortably filled). That has worked nicely for me.
Hunni Bee 10:31 AM 02-13-2013
If they completely hate whatever they put in their mouth and can't swallow it, at my old place I taught them to discreetly spit it out in a napkin, ball it up and immediately put the napkin in the trash. No talking about it after its done either.

Letting it fall half chewed back in the plate = finished.
coolconfidentme 10:32 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Ick ick ick!

If a kiddo of a reasonable age does it that meal or snack is done. Their plate is removed and they are immediately removed from the table.

I do the exact same thing with 1-2 year olds who think it's awesome to throw their cups, bowls, plates and food onto the floor.
I do this too. I feel if you show it is acceptable behavior, they will try to get away with it. Always remember..., you are teaching the kids life skills.
Zoe 10:44 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I do this too. I feel if you show it is acceptable behavior, they will try to get away with it. Always remember..., you are teaching the kids life skills.
Yes, this is the biggest reason why I'm trying to figure out what to do. It's not okay to spit out your food. I don't think he's old enough to be discreet about it and I don't want to force him to eat it. He puts the food in his mouth of his own free will, but what he does afterwards is just disgusting. If he holds it there he starts drooling, it could be a choking hazard...ugh. Toddlers!
ABCDaycareMN 12:07 PM 02-13-2013
Could you just give the kids a napkin to spit in so its not viewable by everyone else.
MarinaVanessa 12:54 PM 02-13-2013
Ick ick ick!

This is what I would do too. If he started complaining when I remove the plate and told him he was finished then I would offer him some more of what he just had again just to see if he changed his mind.

I read somewhere that it takes a child about 20-30 times to try a food before they can really decided whether or not they really like it, especially if it's something that he isn't getting much of at home. I'd just keep trying to offer it again and again. If after 30 times he still doesn't like it (and he's not just doing it to all food, only to a small amount of specific foods) then I'd be fine with not offering it to him anymore, but he'd still get it served and he still had to eat everything else on his plate.
spud912 01:20 PM 02-13-2013
If I have a kid who is prone to being overly dramatic when trying something, I have them take a drink after they've chewed a few times.
DCBlessings27 01:26 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
If they completely hate whatever they put in their mouth and can't swallow it, at my old place I taught them to discreetly spit it out in a napkin, ball it up and immediately put the napkin in the trash. No talking about it after its done either.

Letting it fall half chewed back in the plate = finished.
This is how I would handle it as well.
Zoe 08:01 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
If I have a kid who is prone to being overly dramatic when trying something, I have them take a drink after they've chewed a few times.
I tried that, he just somehow swallowed the milk, and managed to keep the food in his mouth! Sigh.... I'm going to try the napkin thing as well as taking away the food if he treats it like a game. Thank you all for the suggestions!
mema 08:16 AM 02-14-2013
My spitter can swallow just the milk too and keep the food in her mouth. Mine is old enough to know that if it goes in, it doesn't get spit out. Don't like it, fine, swallow it and don't take anymore. I remove her when she spits-every time.
itlw8 08:27 AM 02-14-2013
I teach them to be polite and put it in the napkin. Just like I tell them if they really do not like a food to leave it quietly on the side of the plate and not make a big deal out of it.

My group is real good about trying new foods but If they do not care for it I will not force them to eat it.

I have spit a few nasty foods out also. Tried some store bought hummus and I had to spit it out.
wdmmom 08:31 AM 02-14-2013
Ick ick ick!

Yep!

Not only is it rude but it's gross and it's unsanitary. Behavior like this would first place them in a booster chair for lunch and away from the table. He may be doing it for attention. If he continues to do it even away from the other kids, he will soon realize you swallow what you chew or you wind up hungry.
Tags:spitting, spitting out food
Reply Up