Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gah! Nap Dilemma!
Emsdayhome 09:05 AM 09-11-2013
my new dcb (10mos) goes down for nap beautifully. I have them all sleeping on cots in the playroom (yes, even 10month old) and it works well for us. But the last two days...he seems to think 30mins is enough of a nap. I transfer him to a playpen at that point, in another room...but what gives?? Anyone have any advice or ideas on how to get him to nap longer? mum and dad say he's good for a 2-3hr nap and we're busy from the time he gets here at 7am until nap time around 11:30. he SHOULD be tired...he's just a wee babe!

How do you nap toddlers and babies together? I have another infant starting next week full time, 9months old. Should I have babies in one room and toddlers in another? I wanted to get them all used to napping in the same room, but I worry they'll keep each other awake
lovemylife 09:50 AM 09-11-2013
I keep children under 2 in separate rooms to nap. Other wise they think its play time and stay up. Have you tried playing some kind of white noise for the 10 month old? It works wonderfully for us!
Emsdayhome 10:03 AM 09-11-2013
I play "spa music" throughout the whole house for nap time, and 'shhhhhhh' in the playroom. I was thinking about white noise for the babes though...but I've never owned a machine. What do I need to get? I have ceiling fans but they don't make any noise
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Emsdayhome:
I play "spa music" throughout the whole house for nap time, and 'shhhhhhh' in the playroom. I was thinking about white noise for the babes though...but I've never owned a machine. What do I need to get? I have ceiling fans but they don't make any noise
If you have a smart phone, there are lots of free apps for white noise.

Otherwise a fan works great too.....

I play audio books for the ones old enough to lay still and listen.... I keep the volume just low enough that one must actually lie still in order to hear it.
lovemylife 10:18 AM 09-11-2013
They sell sound machines at Walmart and Target (other stores too) in the baby section. We got our for $15. It also has a light projection that shines on the ceiling and rolls through pictures. It's a nice feature but we don't use it.
preschoolteacher 11:40 AM 09-11-2013
I agree--white noise! I think a PNP might be a good idea for the 10 month old. Sleeping on a cot might be too unusual for him to sleep long. Who knows???

My son woke up after 45 minutes of a nap a lot at that age. He fussed a bit and then went back to sleep most of the time. I think being in a separate room might also help the little one realize it's time to keep sleeping!
Meeko 02:35 PM 09-11-2013
It's great a 10 month old is so good about a nap on a cot, but is it ok with your state? In my state, all infants under 12 months MUST be in a crib or pnp.
Reply Up