Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WI Regs
kitkat 06:40 PM 10-08-2014
I am legally unlicensed in WI. A past client asked if I could watch dcb on a non-school day. On that day I would have kids ages: 2, 5, 7, and my own 3 (3, 6, 9). My understanding is that my kids and any other kids over 7 wouldn't count. When I started childcare I believe the regulation was no more than 3 unrelated to me and that's what I've always gone by. I just want to make sure I stay within the guidelines. Would I be ok adding another 5 yr old?
AmyKidsCo 07:25 PM 10-08-2014
Hello fellow Wisconsinite! happy face

I always thought it was anytime you had more than 3 unrelated, but I looked it up because "I thought" doesn't count a hill of beans with licensors.

Since you already have 3 children in addition to your own I don't think you can add another 5 yr old.

Who Must Be Regulated?
http://www.4-c.org/resource-referral...wisconsin.html
Cradle2crayons 07:36 PM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Hello fellow Wisconsinite! happy face

I always thought it was anytime you had more than 3 unrelated, but I looked it up because "I thought" doesn't count a hill of beans with licensors.

Since you already have 3 children in addition to your own I don't think you can add another 5 yr old.

Who Must Be Regulated?
  • Family Child Care Providers caring for 1-3 children whose care is paid for by the county
  • Family Child Care Providers caring for 4 or more children under age 7
  • All Child Care Centers
  • A child care program must have 2 or more stars to be eligible to accept WI Shares funding.
  • Anyone over age 18 may care for up to 3 children in addition to their own without being regulated unless caring for county-funded children.

http://www.4-c.org/resource-referral...wisconsin.html
So, her dck that's 7 shouldn't count right? Since it says "under age 7" ... Soooo I guess I'm thinking UNDER age 7 would be birth through 6 yrs old?
Heidi 07:40 PM 10-08-2014
To be legally unregulated, NO children over age 7 count in your ratios. So, as long as you do not care for more than THREE CHILDREN UNDER AGE 7, you are ok.

You can literally take care of 3 children under 7 and 10 school-agers over 7, and you'd be legal.

So, you're okay with a 2,5, and 5 year old (those are your 3 legally exempt) and can also have any number over 7 (if you wanted to).

Just to cover your rear, I would highly recommend having some sort of documentation of the children's ages and attendance records as well. That way, if you did get a visit from a regulator, you can show them that you are in compliance.
AmyKidsCo 08:04 PM 10-08-2014
That's crazy! So in the summer we could load up on school-agers and make a mint.

It's a perfect plan, except for the part where the school-agers drive me crazy and all the money pays for to the psych ward.
AuntTami 08:26 PM 10-08-2014
I am a fellow Wisconsin-ite... School-agers don't bother me. We could join forces and literally care for every SA child over age 7 for the entire summer and make BANK! You handle the 6 babies, and I'll watch the SAers!......That sounded a lot funnier in my head!
kitkat 06:02 AM 10-09-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
To be legally unregulated, NO children over age 7 count in your ratios. So, as long as you do not care for more than THREE CHILDREN UNDER AGE 7, you are ok.

You can literally take care of 3 children under 7 and 10 school-agers over 7, and you'd be legal.

So, you're okay with a 2,5, and 5 year old (those are your 3 legally exempt) and can also have any number over 7 (if you wanted to).

Just to cover your rear, I would highly recommend having some sort of documentation of the children's ages and attendance records as well. That way, if you did get a visit from a regulator, you can show them that you are in compliance.
Thank you! I do have all their info documented, so I am covered there.
Heidi 07:24 AM 10-09-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
That's crazy! So in the summer we could load up on school-agers and make a mint.

It's a perfect plan, except for the part where the school-agers drive me crazy and all the money pays for to the psych ward.
Yep!

It's one of those screwy loopholes.

Now, if you're certified, there are limits on school-agers. If your licensed, there are limits period (8 total, not including your own over 7). But, if you're UNREGULATED, you can take 3 under and 15 over.

I do think some of the folks that often get labeled "illegal" are actually ok legally. But, if I see a person walking 15 kids by themselves, some of them in strollers, I think I make assumptions.
Reply Up