Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Longer Offering School-age Child Care...
daycarediva 04:29 AM 07-28-2020
anyone else not doing it this year? Our school district hasn't rolled out plans yet, but nearby districts have. NOOOO WAY. We have 4 SA kids, in K-3.

Multiple bus runs/times (could potentially start busing as early as 6:15!), multiple schedules (ABC groups by last name has been proposed), increased covid exposure risk/chance of being shut down, distance learning.

Just, no.

The letter I have sounds awful. It's either too wordy/explanatory and emotional, or short and cold. HELP!
Cat Herder 04:32 AM 07-28-2020
Two of my least favorite things 1) redirecting school agers and 2) schedule disruptions. I think I'll pass.
DaveA 05:35 AM 07-28-2020
I’m not dropping school age but my rates had been set for a normal school year. Our district just announced that after a couple weeks of staggered attendance to get stuff set up it will be remote learning till at least middle of October. The rest of 2020 being RL is already being talked about. If I’m playing 1 room schoolhouse then rates are changing to make it worth my while.
Meeko 08:29 AM 07-28-2020
Not doing any school runs this coming year!
Pandaluver21 02:18 PM 07-28-2020
The only school agers I ever take, are ones that grew up in my program, and I haven't offered it to every family.

"Due to current health risks, I will no longer be providing care for school age children. I will be sad to see them go, but the overall health of our current group as well as my family is important. Thank you for understanding."
knoxmomof2 08:12 AM 07-29-2020
I never have taken SA kids, I stick with the under 5 crowd.

"Dear Families,

As we prepare to enter the new school year, I wanted to update you with my plans. Due to the new schooling methods and health risks surrounding COVID, I will not be providing care for school age children this year. Since x date is the start of the school year, that is the date my new policy will become effective. If you wish, I will keep you updated as far as plans for next Summer once we get closer to that time of year."

Thank you for your business,
xxxxx"

I wouldn't apologize and I wouldn't give further details. Details only give them reasons to argue with you about your decision. You can add a warmer close if you feel that better suits your style. You're not a school teacher (and I'm sure you don't make the same salary as they do) and there are enough risks to your business/ family walking through your door every day, without adding an exponential amount more by taking SA kids. This is the right decision for your business and your family. It's just a matter of relaying that to your clients in a timely manner.
Unregistered 12:31 PM 07-29-2020
I would leave this part out:

"Due to the new schooling methods and health risks surrounding COVID"

Just leaves an in for an argument or more discussion. And what if a student is doing online only.

I would just leave it as a business decision to change the age groups you will provide service for.

If someone wants more explanation say after reviewing your records for the year, it's more effective for you to care for one age group at this time. A vague and simple answer that does not invite more discussion.
Unregistered 06:32 AM 07-31-2020
I never did transportation for SA kids UNLESS at the time they went to my own kids' specific school. They had to find a way to ensure they could get to my home. Either they're close enough to walk, get dropped off at the bus stop and walk, or a ride was to be provided by a parent/guardian or designee. There are way too many schools close by, and all get out within 3-5 mins of each other; it would be too risky for me to have offered to give rides no matter how close they were, unless in an emergency.

Our district is sending k-5 back in person in a few weeks. There is little evidence to suggest this age group spreads Covid 19 easily, so I am not worried about that. If you don't want to offer SA care, and it's just in general, I wouldn't mention Covid at ALL. Eventually, it will cycle itself out like the Flu. Everyone WILL get it at some point, whether they carry it or get sick from it. It's a matter of time. Therefore, I would not have my letter say anything about it. I would simply say "As of (the start of school) ABC daycare will be unable to provide before/after SA care and/or transportation." and that's it. Now, the other side is: will you do breaks? (Summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring break, other holidays, summer?) If no, then put something like "ABC daycare has moved the program to take ages 0-5 (and not in Kindergarten) only., Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter".
Gemma 10:39 AM 07-31-2020
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
anyone else not doing it this year? Our school district hasn't rolled out plans yet, but nearby districts have. NOOOO WAY. We have 4 SA kids, in K-3.

Multiple bus runs/times (could potentially start busing as early as 6:15!), multiple schedules (ABC groups by last name has been proposed), increased covid exposure risk/chance of being shut down, distance learning.

Just, no.

The letter I have sounds awful. It's either too wordy/explanatory and emotional, or short and cold. HELP!
Quitting SA is the best thing I've ever done!
AmyKidsCo 02:19 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Quitting SA is the best thing I've ever done!
Ditto! I haven't taken non-related SA for years and don't plan to start again. I'm just not built for that age - my 11 yr old granddaughter drives me batty with her non-stop talking.
nanglgrl 09:56 PM 08-03-2020
I stopped taking care of school agers long ago. Then I had a child age out and his younger brother started so I kept the older child last year on days off/early outs. He grew up here and it wasn’t a problem..it made me forget why I stopped taking schoolagers.

Then COVID hit. A lot of my clients started working from home and when they finally came back went to part time schedules. I lost a few children when parents lost their jobs and the only people looking for care were looking for schoolage care. I ended up with 2 going in to kindergarten (older 5), 2 1st graders and a second grader. Now I remember why I stopped taking schoolagers. I remember almost every minute out of every day.

They are wonderful on their own and even with each other sometimes however, they bicker so much. I constantly here “you aren’t my friend if..” statements. They talk like they are standing next to a noisy train. I don’t understand what the deal is. They are all shouting everything they say. Attempts to curb a t work for 5 minutes and then they’re back at it. The constant loud voices and bickering is wearing me thin. Then there is the toys (made for younger children) that have been broken, the constant attempts to run and horseplay indoors and inability to do one activity for more than 5 minutes. I want my 2 and 3 year olds back. Give me the “terrible” twos over the “sassy” sixes and sevens any day.
TwinMama 08:33 AM 08-07-2020
Nope. I told my parents that their school agers can't come here. I've got no direct contact with the school.
daycarediva 10:29 AM 08-07-2020
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I stopped taking care of school agers long ago. Then I had a child age out and his younger brother started so I kept the older child last year on days off/early outs. He grew up here and it wasn’t a problem..it made me forget why I stopped taking schoolagers.

Then COVID hit. A lot of my clients started working from home and when they finally came back went to part time schedules. I lost a few children when parents lost their jobs and the only people looking for care were looking for schoolage care. I ended up with 2 going in to kindergarten (older 5), 2 1st graders and a second grader. Now I remember why I stopped taking schoolagers. I remember almost every minute out of every day.

They are wonderful on their own and even with each other sometimes however, they bicker so much. I constantly here “you aren’t my friend if..” statements. They talk like they are standing next to a noisy train. I don’t understand what the deal is. They are all shouting everything they say. Attempts to curb a t work for 5 minutes and then they’re back at it. The constant loud voices and bickering is wearing me thin. Then there is the toys (made for younger children) that have been broken, the constant attempts to run and horseplay indoors and inability to do one activity for more than 5 minutes. I want my 2 and 3 year olds back. Give me the “terrible” twos over the “sassy” sixes and sevens any day.
I had to check the username and because I thought I wrote this. It has been a LOOOONNNGGGGG summer.
AmyKidsCo 01:26 PM 08-07-2020
I had to check the username and because I thought I wrote this. It has been a LOOOONNNGGGGG summer.

No kidding about a long summer. I have a feeling fall is going to be worse.
nanglgrl 04:20 PM 08-07-2020
Bahaha! Right? I’m. So. Tired.
Tags:covid-19 and daycare, school age daycare kids
Reply Up