Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CA Providers On The Food Program
daycare 10:11 AM 06-06-2013
Currently I serve:

Bk
am snack
lunch
PM snack

I had a parent tell me that at their last DC they did not have that am snack. I thought that being on the food program that I had to serve at these meals to all kids that were present during that time.
cherryhill 10:16 AM 06-06-2013
I serve breakfast lunch and a pm snack. I'm only required to provide 3 meals here in Southern CA.
daycare 10:18 AM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
I serve breakfast lunch and a pm snack. I'm only required to provide 3 meals here in Southern CA.
hmmmmm. I wonder if I am able to do that as well?? I do only get paid for 3 of them right??

I have been on the food program for about 5 years here in my county and they have changed more then most of my kids change their clothes...lol

NO, I really don't have dirty DCKs..lol
Oneluckymom 11:09 AM 06-06-2013
I only get reimbursed for three as well. This is mine:

8:30 breakfast...most of mine arrive at 8-8:30
11:30 lunch
3:00-3:30 pm snack (soon as everyone is up)
daycare 11:13 AM 06-06-2013
ok so then I was wrong.

I would love not to serve that 1030am snack...... I think that i will need to contact my worker and ask them what is the best way to go about eliminating it since the kids are so dependent on it right now.

I read that it is best that kids eat a small meal about every two hours...??????
kathiemarie 11:14 AM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I only get reimbursed for three as well. This is mine:

8:30 breakfast...most of mine arrive at 8-8:30
11:30 lunch
3:00-3:30 pm snack (soon as everyone is up)
This is what I do also.
Michelle 11:25 AM 06-06-2013
I do not serve am snack because I can only claim 3 meals

I don't serve it because they fill up on that snack and then they don't eat their veggies at lunch, so I never serve am snack.
TomCopeland 11:36 AM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
Currently I serve:

Bk
am snack
lunch
PM snack

I had a parent tell me that at their last DC they did not have that am snack. I thought that being on the food program that I had to serve at these meals to all kids that were present during that time.
Food Program rules are the same in every state. Food Program rules do not require you to serve any particular number of meals and snacks each day. You cannot claim more than 3 servings per day (2 meals and a snack, or 2 snacks and a meal). However, your state child care licensing rules may require you to serve a certain number of meals/snacks each day.
Crystal 12:30 PM 06-06-2013
What Tom said. And in Ca. we are not required, by licensing, to serve br/a.m/lunch/pm. Centers have different regs, but for FCC we don't have too.

I would eliminate it by offering breakfast a little later or lunch a little earlier.
daycare 12:36 PM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
What Tom said. And in Ca. we are not required, by licensing, to serve br/a.m/lunch/pm. Centers have different regs, but for FCC we don't have too.

I would eliminate it by offering breakfast a little later or lunch a little earlier.
thanks for letting me know this...not too sure why I have been doing things the way that I have been thinking the whole time that this was what I HAD to do. I thought that we were required...
Little Star75 12:49 PM 06-06-2013
We are allowed to get reimbursed for 2 big meals and 1 snack. I provide the following

Bk
L
PM snack
Dinner

However, I can only claim either breakfast or dinner, I claim dinner because its a higher reimbursement. I do have some children that aren't here for dinner so of course I claim breakfast, lunch, and snack.
Michelle 12:56 PM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:

Am I reading this wrong?
are you saying, according to licensing.. we are NOT required to feed them?

I probably did.
(this is a nice friendly loving joking tone..ok?)
tjones34 12:57 PM 06-06-2013
In my state I provide am snack, lunch and dinner
Crystal 01:49 PM 06-06-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Am I reading this wrong?
are you saying, according to licensing.. we are NOT required to feed them?

I probably did.
(this is a nice friendly loving joking tone..ok?)
hahaha! No, we are def. required to feed them. They just do not specify what we have to serve or when.
cherryhill 02:28 PM 06-06-2013
ok so then I was wrong.

I would love not to serve that 1030am snack...... I think that i will need to contact my worker and ask them what is the best way to go about eliminating it since the kids are so dependent on it right now.

I read that it is best that kids eat a small meal about every two hours...??????
I used to serve AM snack (not reimbursed) but I stopped when the kids stopped eating lunch.
cherryhill 02:31 PM 06-06-2013
thanks for letting me know this...not too sure why I have been doing things the way that I have been thinking the whole time that this was what I HAD to do. I thought that we were required...
When I used to serve the morning snack I felt like all I was doing was prepping meals and cleaning. It it easier to schedule activities without the morning snack.
Tags:food program - california, tom copeland
Reply Up