Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do or Don't............
daycare 02:34 PM 01-09-2014
SO I have had one full time opening for almost 6 months. I did turn away a few part time people during this time, but never filled it.

I have 2 employees who work with me part time and together they make the cost of 1 full time kid.

Well today I get a call for yet another part time kid, they want half day care, 3-days a week, but the money is just not there. They also happen to be a family member of one of my longest standing clients that still use my childcare during the summer months.

This is the first call that I have had to fill any spots in about 3months. I want to take it because the family sounds amazing, but then what do I do if a FULL TIME request comes in down the line in a few weeks or months. My policy says full time takes over PT. BUt I would hate to take this family on, just to possibly turn around and let them go. Or I can continue to sit and have the spot stay open.

I am so conflicted

Would you fill it with this very part time request or not?
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 01-09-2014
If I have a vacant space, I would definitely consider taking a part time family on.

Part time income is better than no income.

However, I make sure ALL part time families know that full time will always take priority over part time. I will give part time family first right of refusal but if they don't want full time, I will let them go and take the full timer then

Business is business in my book.
daycare 02:41 PM 01-09-2014
What I forgot to mention was that they are going to pay me a holding fee for 1 month and then start.

I guess I am just worried that because they are a referral and they are paying all this month to hold a spot and then attend, I would worry it might make the other family upset or that I would feel bad they paid all that money to only have a spot for two weeks, ect.
BrooklynM 02:47 PM 01-09-2014
Well, something is better than nothing. I accepted a part-timer with the agreement of the parents that if I got a full-timer then I would give them a 1 month notice to take the full-timer if I was full. They agreed and pretty soon 2 days a week turned to 3, then I had someone wanting full-time so I went to my part-timer and let them know and they actually said- we want to keep you, he will go full time! So mine worked out. I currently have 2 other part-timers- one is 2 days a week and one is 3 days a week, so they basically share a spot, but in April when the 2 day DCK turns 2, the 3 day a week DCG will be full time. Oh - and that 2 day a week DCM referred the 3 day a week DCG.

I used to work in mortgage as a lender. A lot of my co-workers never wanted the small loans, just the big one. I was hungry so I took anything and everything I could close. One day, a co-worker "gave" me an $80,000 refinance because it wasn't worth his time. I kid you not, I did 6 more loans for that customer, one of the loans was for $4.1mil. He was my best customer!

If the parents and the child are a match, take a risk, you never know what it could turn into!
Familycare71 02:49 PM 01-09-2014
I would just make sure I talked to them about it. Then let them decide. Of they still wanted to enroll I would let them
daycare 02:55 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I would just make sure I talked to them about it. Then let them decide. Of they still wanted to enroll I would let them
I guess this is very true. I just really need to make sure that I explain in full detail that FT has priority and if they still go for it, then that is on them.
Crazy8 02:56 PM 01-09-2014
I would take them and like BC said, make sure they know your policy and let them know the risks involved going part time. If the spot has been open for for 6 months and you haven't even gotten a call in 3 months then I wouldn't be too concerned about what might happen if you do get a call for a full timer.
daycare 03:07 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I would take them and like BC said, make sure they know your policy and let them know the risks involved going part time. If the spot has been open for for 6 months and you haven't even gotten a call in 3 months then I wouldn't be too concerned about what might happen if you do get a call for a full timer.
this was my thought too. I have also changed my two week trial with part timer to one month. I can't really get a good feel for people and kids in such a short period of time.
Shell 03:36 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I used to work in mortgage as a lender. A lot of my co-workers never wanted the small loans, just the big one. I was hungry so I took anything and everything I could close. One day, a co-worker "gave" me an $80,000 refinance because it wasn't worth his time. I kid you not, I did 6 more loans for that customer, one of the loans was for $4.1mil. He was my best customer!

If the parents and the child are a match, take a risk, you never know what it could turn into!
Cool story!
I agree, and you never know if they will want to pick up days along the way. I love part time kids- it breaks up the same old routine, and you can charge more per day. I've had kids that start with just one or two days and wind up picking up an extra two or three days once they see how beneficial it is to be around the other kids.
sahm1225 06:24 PM 01-09-2014
@brooklynm - I used to be a lender too and your story made me laugh. I was the same way but our highest loan was 750k not like your 4.1 millions!

And I agree with everyone above- explain to them that they would have the right for first refusal if a full timer comes along. I've learned in daycare that usually when a part timer comes along that is a perfect fit, I can usually make it work.
Good luck'
TwinKristi 07:40 PM 01-09-2014
What about trying to find an amount between PT & FT that would make it worth it to just be done and full? Like I hear about the 52 wks flat rate regardless of whether it's 2 days or 5 days. Would that work? If they're willing to pay you for the month before maybe it will be worth it to secure the spot or give them the option? I guess if it was literally my very last spot and I got a call 2wks later I'd have to think about it. Who knows, maybe the FT Fam ends up being a nightmare and you term after a week and regret giving up the PTer?
daycare 07:48 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
What about trying to find an amount between PT & FT that would make it worth it to just be done and full? Like I hear about the 52 wks flat rate regardless of whether it's 2 days or 5 days. Would that work? If they're willing to pay you for the month before maybe it will be worth it to secure the spot or give them the option? I guess if it was literally my very last spot and I got a call 2wks later I'd have to think about it. Who knows, maybe the FT Fam ends up being a nightmare and you term after a week and regret giving up the PTer?
All the what ifs. Lol
I actually do charge the way you posted about.

I'm still thinking about it.
daycare 07:48 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
All the what ifs. Lol
I actually do charge the way you posted about.

I'm still thinking about it.
CrackerJacks 08:30 PM 01-09-2014
I don't do 1/2 days, they can pay for the full days (3) and pick up/drop off anytime between my open hours (this way the space is always there's) and you could try filling the remaing 2 day space. Or offer a permament/drop in basis, rate is a bit higher hourly, with the understanding that if a FT client comes along the drop in space will no longer be available
daycarediva 03:33 AM 01-10-2014
I always take PT. I also find that PTers have a more flexible schedule so when I enroll another PT child I look for one that can fit in to those days. I charge more for it (daily), and currently have 4pters taking up 2 spaces that are paying well over a typical FT rate. I am also one of the few local providers who will take PT. Most have them pay for a ft space, so when they come to me and it's just a high pt rate, they are happy it isn't a ft rate.

Like a pp said, small is worth it usually. My dh owns his own plumbing/HVACR company and always takes small jobs. Partly because of per hour labor rate pay. He charges a trip fee, so he gets some money no matter what, then more for the first 2 hours, and then the labor rate decreases slightly which is standard for our area. So if he does two small 3-4 hour jobs he actually makes more HOURLY than if he does one 8-9 hour job. Not to mention repeat business. He went on a sewer cleaning (sink, $125 flat rate) job before Christmas. They have called him back again for a total furnace repair (thousands) and while he was there he told them the reason they have to snake the line all the time is due to roots in the pipes (camera snake). He quoted them for a dig to replace the lines and is doing it in spring (thousands). Their previous plumbing company said they wouldn't snake the line again because it wasn't worth the trip! Their loss!
Reply Up