Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Older Couple Running A Daycare
Candy 12:27 PM 01-17-2014
I just thought back as to who use watch me when I was younger. There was a older couple(the wife is still living and still doing daycare) who use to do daycare where I live and were unlicensed. If my memory is right there were at least 4 babies at once, six 1-3 year olds, and 4 Sa kids all at one time. And the house wasn't the least bit chaotic. I'm wondering how did they do it? Was it because they were older. Just thinking about watching over 10 kids at once would drive me crazy.
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Candy:
I just thought back as to who use watch me when I was younger. There was a older couple(the wife is still living and still doing daycare) who use to do daycare where I live and were unlicensed. If my memory is right there were at least 4 babies at once, six 1-3 year olds, and 4 Sa kids all at one time. And the house wasn't the least bit chaotic. I'm wondering how did they do it? Was it because they were older. Just thinking about watching over 10 kids at once would drive me crazy.
I have 12 kids under age 6 daily.

It's easy and simple if you have a routine and consistency.

I interview and enroll on a strict basis and will NOT take a family that I don't feel is the right fit for ANY amount of money.

When I have days with less kids, it is actually harder as the choices for playmates is less so the kids seem to have more conflict.

....and no, other than my DH who comes in and helps with lunch time I do not have a daily assistant/helper.

Not sure if I would be considered "older" though or not.
butterfly 12:32 PM 01-17-2014
simplier times helps I think. Kids today seem to need constant interaction or tech time with Ipods and tablets.

I had an old lady watch me when I was a kid too. We played outside most of the day. I don't even remember having a toy room there.

I do remember watching the price is right during lunch. That was the extent of our TV watching too.
Annalee 12:36 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I interview and enroll on a strict basis and will NOT take a family that I don't feel is the right fit for ANY amount of money.

BUT it took me 10 yrs to learn this....the past 10 plus have been AWESOME!!!!
Heidi 12:39 PM 01-17-2014
I was going to say, too, that it's because kids are different than we were.

We were not entertained by others, and we were expected to behave. Our feelings and rights weren't nearly as important as those of the adult's around us. We were loved, but no one was afraid to set limits like "get off the couch if you can't sit nicely", or "keep your hands OFF of Mrs. S's whatever".
Candy 12:39 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
simplier times helps I think. Kids today seem to need constant interaction or tech time with Ipods and tablets.

I had an old lady watch me when I was a kid too. We played outside most of the day. I don't even remember having a toy room there.

I do remember watching the price is right during lunch. That was the extent of our TV watching too.
We didn't have a toy room either we were just in one big room there was a tv but we only watched it at lunch and in the mornings. I have no idea what we did the rest of the time. Also there was so less disrespect then.
daycarediva 01:28 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:

Originally Posted by Heidi:
I was going to say, too, that it's because kids are different than we were.

We were not entertained by others, and we were expected to behave. Our feelings and rights weren't nearly as important as those of the adult's around us. We were loved, but no one was afraid to set limits like "get off the couch if you can't sit nicely", or "keep your hands OFF of Mrs. S's whatever".

the good old days. Outside in the backyard drinking water out of the hose, coming in for lunch when called, or being tossed sandwiches and apples through the window, eating veggies right out of my sitters garden. We NEVER would have behaved the way kids do now.
Heidi 05:20 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

the good old days. Outside in the backyard drinking water out of the hose, coming in for lunch when called, or being tossed sandwiches and apples through the window, eating veggies right out of my sitters garden. We NEVER would have behaved the way kids do now.
The good old days:

-When we'd play tag in the dark in the summer until way past 10:00.
-When we'd run around catching fire flies when we weren't playing tag.
-When vacation was throwing us in the back of the station wagon with a bag of sandwiches, M&M's, and a pile of blankets and pillows, then off we'd go. Dad would chain-smoke along the way, but was kind enough to keep his window open.
-When my parents would take us with them to house parties. All the kids in one room, jumping on a bed. Hey, it's not a party until someone has a bloody nose!
-When some lady pushed my dad in the pool for getting too...ah...flirty with her.
-When getting a new 10-speed was the highlight of my sister's middle school years.
-When we made toilet paper holders to decorate the bathroom at girl scouts.
-When we'd go door-to-door selling homemade crafts, or have a lemonade stand. Young entrepenuers, we were!
-When our parents would go out at night, and leave us at home ALONE. We were 4 and 5 years old. Yeah..it's was 1968, and apparently, that was acceptable. Hey, we were sleeping anyway.

We should start a new thread, eh?
blandino 07:41 PM 01-17-2014

When I have days with less kids, it is actually harder as the choices for playmates is less so the kids seem to have more conflict.

....and no, other than my DH who comes in and helps with lunch time I do not have a daily assistant/helper.

THIS !! We have 12 daily, and our oldest is 3.5. LOTS & LOTS of structure and consistency. We have a routine that keeps things under control.

Now, we do have two adults for the 12 children, so that licensing req. is a little different. But none the less, it is a tight ship, that sails rather smoothly.
daycare 07:58 PM 01-17-2014

oh please sister you are so far from old. I saw pics of you. you look like your 25!!
Candy 11:50 AM 01-18-2014
I think parents had better attitudes then also. Back then it was ok to get spanked by the daycare provider cause parent knew there kid probably did whatever it was.
Maria2013 02:54 PM 01-18-2014

pretty much what she said
My3cents 11:59 AM 01-21-2014

Not seeing how we are the same age~
lets not be old until we are old

Reply Up