Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ot
williams2008 02:09 PM 04-02-2014
Hello Everyone! I hope everyone has been doing great!!

I know this is totally off topic, buttttttttttt I have been a victim of debit card fraud. yupp someone called in to the company I have my debit card with on March 27th pretending to be me and said that they have lost their debit card and needed to order a new one. They also said they needed to do a change of address to ARIZONA

They were able to get a total of $715.00 out of my account, but get this I would have never known if I hadn't tried to use my debit card at the ATM.
williams2008 02:10 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by williams2008:

I know this is totally off topic, buttttttttttt I have been a victim of debit card fraud. yupp someone called in to the company I have my debit card with on March 27th pretending to be me and said that they have lost their debit card and needed to order a new one. They also said they needed to do a change of address to ARIZONA

They were able to get a total of $715.00 out of my account, but get this I would have never known if I hadn't tried to use my debit card at the ATM.
I said that to say this. Please be careful.
Blackcat31 02:31 PM 04-02-2014
Yeah, credit card fraud is tough. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I got hit with it once before too. Thankfully my credit card company (Visa) will protect me. I had everything returned to me and Visa filed suit for the person who actually stole my info.

My DH and I also got hit when the Target security breach happened. Went to use my card at Home Depot for a purchase of less than $20 and my card was declined. Drove straight to the bank and found out my account was in the negative for OVER $-3000!

My bank had it all worked out and new cards printed in less than 45 minutes so it was all good.

Hoping you got your issue all taken care of.
williams2008 02:46 PM 04-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yeah, credit card fraud is tough. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I got hit with it once before too. Thankfully my credit card company (Visa) will protect me. I had everything returned to me and Visa filed suit for the person who actually stole my info.

My DH and I also got hit when the Target security breach happened. Went to use my card at Home Depot for a purchase of less than $20 and my card was declined. Drove straight to the bank and found out my account was in the negative for OVER $-3000!

My bank had it all worked out and new cards printed in less than 45 minutes so it was all good.

Hoping you got your issue all taken care of.
Thank you! I have gotten everything taken care of. I wish the company I deal with worked as quick as your bank did!
Laurel 03:27 PM 04-02-2014

Oh no, I know the feeling too. Our IRS refund was stolen two years in a row. Now the IRS gives us a PIN number that we need to use. It was a pretty wide spread scam. We got our refunds for those years, even with interest, but they were a year late each time.

Then someone got into our Sears account and also something else, can't remember now. Luckily we didn't lose any money in any of them from our own accounts.

I can not recommend Lifelock strongly enough. They notify us by phone and email ANY time they see the least little thing. I can't remember how much a month it is to join but not much. They are GREAT.

We also shopped at Target during that scam and instead of waiting to see if anything would be stolen we just automatically had a new card issued.

It is scary for us because we believe my husband's social security number is out there AND we suspect an inside job where he works as his company email is always used.

So sorry this happened to you too.

Laurel
Sunchimes 04:31 PM 04-02-2014
We were the victim of check fraud last fall. Hubby's check is direct deposited to our account and we use it to pay bills online and maybe 2 or 3 checks a month beyond that. The bank called to tell us we were more than $500 overdrawn. I said we couldn't be and luckily they readily agreed. It's a small town bank, not a large branch, so they already knew it wasn't us. There were 4 or 5 fraudulent checks total. Two came in that day and were paid before they realized it wasn't us, so they stopped payment on the 3rd one and called us.

It appears that someone printed checks using our bank account number and routing number. But, our real checks have both of our names and our address. The fraudulent checks had only my husband's name the correct street address, but the wrong town. The bank logo was also incorrect. The scary part is that they had my husband's driver's license number. They think that someone where we wrote a check got his DL number off of it. Or something. It was really weird.

There were 4 or 5 checks over the period of a month. Of course, the last 3 were not paid, but by then they had the merchandise. One of them was written to a gas station for $50 a month after the first one. Luckily, we don't have a debit card and they never tampered with our credit cards (at least so far they haven't). It took weeks and a fortune in certified mail costs to send the police and bank fraud reports to all of the proper places. We put fraud alerts on our credit reports, etc. They will never catch them-they will never even look. There are far bigger things for them to spend time on, and that's as it should be. It was mostly a big pain for us, but it could have been so much worse.

I hope yours is all over now.
daycare 05:43 PM 04-02-2014
I belong to a site called my fico.com. they monitor all 3 of my credit reports and let me know the second a charge is made to any of my CCs.

Last year I went to Miami and 3 months later someone tried to buy a car with my CC..... I got the text asking if I authorized this purchase and of course I said No. They did catch the dummy that tired to buy a rental car with a stolen CC. I called the CC company right away and they did not charge my card, cancelled the old one and sent me a new one.

I was told to NOT use my debit card to make transactions other than the grocery store. So I don't and so far I have not had any issues. I use my CC for everything else and just pay if off as soon as I get home.
Childminder 05:45 PM 04-02-2014
My son was just hit too. He gets paid dd on Thursday and tried to use his card Friday morning and it had been compromised and emptied two states over. The bank said he would get it back but might take 45 days.
williams2008 11:39 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Oh no, I know the feeling too. Our IRS refund was stolen two years in a row. Now the IRS gives us a PIN number that we need to use. It was a pretty wide spread scam. We got our refunds for those years, even with interest, but they were a year late each time.

Then someone got into our Sears account and also something else, can't remember now. Luckily we didn't lose any money in any of them from our own accounts.

I can not recommend Lifelock strongly enough. They notify us by phone and email ANY time they see the least little thing. I can't remember how much a month it is to join but not much. They are GREAT.

We also shopped at Target during that scam and instead of waiting to see if anything would be stolen we just automatically had a new card issued.

It is scary for us because we believe my husband's social security number is out there AND we suspect an inside job where he works as his company email is always used.

So sorry this happened to you too.

Laurel
Thank you. I am sorry that happened to you'll as well.

Thanks for recommending Lifelock. The company has informed me that whoever called had my social security number and birthday. I feel that it has to be someone who work for the company who issued me the card.
williams2008 11:44 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
My son was just hit too. He gets paid dd on Thursday and tried to use his card Friday morning and it had been compromised and emptied two states over. The bank said he would get it back but might take 45 days.
I am so sorry this happened to your son too.

That's exactly how long they said it would take me to get mine back
williams2008 11:46 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
We were the victim of check fraud last fall. Hubby's check is direct deposited to our account and we use it to pay bills online and maybe 2 or 3 checks a month beyond that. The bank called to tell us we were more than $500 overdrawn. I said we couldn't be and luckily they readily agreed. It's a small town bank, not a large branch, so they already knew it wasn't us. There were 4 or 5 fraudulent checks total. Two came in that day and were paid before they realized it wasn't us, so they stopped payment on the 3rd one and called us.

It appears that someone printed checks using our bank account number and routing number. But, our real checks have both of our names and our address. The fraudulent checks had only my husband's name the correct street address, but the wrong town. The bank logo was also incorrect. The scary part is that they had my husband's driver's license number. They think that someone where we wrote a check got his DL number off of it. Or something. It was really weird.

There were 4 or 5 checks over the period of a month. Of course, the last 3 were not paid, but by then they had the merchandise. One of them was written to a gas station for $50 a month after the first one. Luckily, we don't have a debit card and they never tampered with our credit cards (at least so far they haven't). It took weeks and a fortune in certified mail costs to send the police and bank fraud reports to all of the proper places. We put fraud alerts on our credit reports, etc. They will never catch them-they will never even look. There are far bigger things for them to spend time on, and that's as it should be. It was mostly a big pain for us, but it could have been so much worse.

I hope yours is all over now.
Thank you! I have changed everything. I am sure they will not find out who did this, although they did give me the address to where they sent my new debit card to.
williams2008 11:54 AM 04-03-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I belong to a site called my fico.com. they monitor all 3 of my credit reports and let me know the second a charge is made to any of my CCs.

Last year I went to Miami and 3 months later someone tried to buy a car with my CC..... I got the text asking if I authorized this purchase and of course I said No. They did catch the dummy that tired to buy a rental car with a stolen CC. I called the CC company right away and they did not charge my card, cancelled the old one and sent me a new one.

I was told to NOT use my debit card to make transactions other than the grocery store. So I don't and so far I have not had any issues. I use my CC for everything else and just pay if off as soon as I get home.
This is so sad. Someone had gotten one of my friends information and tried to buy a house in Texas and she lives in Memphis.
austingwendell 12:29 AM 04-04-2014

Have you tried filing a case?
Reply Up