Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant and Maternity ???'s
jojosmommy 09:46 AM 02-07-2011
I recently found out we are expecting and although I anticipated these questions in the months of planning for this baby I havent yet come to any good answers.

Should I close for 6 weeks, 12 weeks etc? And if so what do you think my current families will think? I am afraid if they have to use back up care for that long they might not come back. Also, 2 families are on assistance and I am not sure they could find another provider willing to take them on for such a short time (the paperwork here for assistance is horrible and most providers in the area wont take those clients.)

Should I hire someone (now) to start coming in and help out and then when baby comes have them be my sub provider? Obviously I would follow all regs in our county and get them added to my license but I am wondering if anyone has done this? How did it work?

Obviously I dont want to lose my clients (all here longer than 1 yr and 2 since I have opened) but I do not want to pay someone an arm and a leg to do sub care in my home and have the inconvience of having them here while I adjust to the baby.I do not know anyone personally who could be my sub so I will be placing an ad and doing interviews. We are on a budget so I am balancing what works for my family, myself and my clients.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.
Abigail 10:59 AM 02-07-2011
I would start interviewing! Look for your sub, who you can trust and who you will pay. I would offer minimum wage and I'm sure you'll find someone for a short time. Who knows, maybe a grandma wants to help out for a few weeks. I would personally close for at least 1 week just to be home with baby. Then, reopen with my sub and relax for another 2 weeks. Does that sound reasonable? So, you close for one week and then have a sub for 2 weeks after that. If you can, try to find volunteers and have them help out before baby arrives. If you're due in the summer, I would call your high schools and ask for the child devlopment director/teacher because they may offer it as "extra credit" for next year's students if they volunteer 40 hours total or something. I did a class like that, I needed 120 volunteer hours to count as a credit and I did it over the summer. It really was a summer class credit I earned just in general. It is worth the call and see what you can work out with the high school child development teacher. This way, you can have help come in before hand and a sub for a week before and then close for the week and open again with your volunteer and/or sub for 2 more weeks or even longer if you can afford and stand extra people in your home.

BTW: Congrats!
jen 11:04 AM 02-07-2011
Hey! I am a Minnesota girl too!

I took 12 weeks off when my daughter was born and didn't have the least trouble with it. ALL of my parents came back! A few even commented on how much they missed me!

Do whats best for you and your new baby! Congrats!
jojosmommy 11:21 AM 02-07-2011
Thank you both for the comments.

The funny thing is I know my sister will be my most annoying person about finding somewhere else to go. Every time I have a day sched. off she is the only one who gives me grief about it. And she makes more than enough to pay someone else for a day off. The other familes are in tighter spots financially but never seem to complain if I have a vacation day or day off.

So how much advance time did you give parents to find a backup person? And how did you plan when that would start? I mean baby's dont wait for schedules so did you have a planned induction or ???? My dr is amazing so I know when we get closer to that she will work with my (As long as it works for baby).

The major reason I am thinking of getting a sub is because I have a special needs boy who takes the bus from my house to school everyday as well as two school agers. All three are from 1 family and I know it would be impossible for mom to set something up for 6 weeks or so around that sched. (mom works at 7:30, 1st bus comes at 8:20 and another at 8:45). Also, because of his needs I am not sure she could get a lot of providers on board to take him for just 6 weeks. I am due right at the beginning of school starting back.

For my 1st born I had 5 months off so no matter what this will be a quick return for me (compared to last time anyway!) . = /
lil angels 11:24 AM 02-07-2011
I closed for 4 weeks with my first and 6 weeks with my second. I didn't loose anybody the first time the second 4 yrs later I lost almost everyone. It is hard to know just worry about you and your baby and what works for you because your parents are going to do what they have to anyway. Good Luck and congrats.
kitkat 02:35 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
It is hard to know just worry about you and your baby and what works for you because your parents are going to do what they have to anyway. Good Luck and congrats.
I totally agree! You need to do what's best for you and your family. I think I let my families know if the late 2nd trimester, but I can't remember anymore. It was probably a "here's what I'm thinking of taking, but I'll let you know more later" type memo. I would definitely give them a heads up during the 2nd trimester.

And you are right, baby's come on their own schedule. DS was 18 days before his due date. DD was a scheduled c-section due to being breech. Baby #3 is also a scheduled c-section. Let's face it, baby's come when they want to come. I would hope the parents would be understanding about that fact!

As far as the sub...I don't know what to tell ya because honestly, I would worry about my family first and the daycare families much later. If you are super concerned about the one family and don't want to deal with a sub, maybe you could close for *** amount of time and then open up for just them for a bit before you bring everyone else back. I'm not sure if I read it right, but would they just be before/after school? There's no reason that you have to let everyone back at the same time. I didn't and I'm so glad that I didn't! It was nice to transition back a little at a time.
Mrs.Ky 03:41 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I recently found out we are expecting and although I anticipated these questions in the months of planning for this baby I havent yet come to any good answers.

Should I close for 6 weeks, 12 weeks etc? And if so what do you think my current families will think? I am afraid if they have to use back up care for that long they might not come back. Also, 2 families are on assistance and I am not sure they could find another provider willing to take them on for such a short time (the paperwork here for assistance is horrible and most providers in the area wont take those clients.)

Should I hire someone (now) to start coming in and help out and then when baby comes have them be my sub provider? Obviously I would follow all regs in our county and get them added to my license but I am wondering if anyone has done this? How did it work?

Obviously I dont want to lose my clients (all here longer than 1 yr and 2 since I have opened) but I do not want to pay someone an arm and a leg to do sub care in my home and have the inconvience of having them here while I adjust to the baby.I do not know anyone personally who could be my sub so I will be placing an ad and doing interviews. We are on a budget so I am balancing what works for my family, myself and my clients.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.
Congrats! When I was pregnant with my third I told my parents right away I was expecting and I would be taking off for 12 weeks and they had to find alternate care til I reopened. I enjoyed that time with my baby girl as my other 2 where in school and you can never get that time back with your newborn. They all came back also. I closed when I was 36 weeks to get ready for the baby, rest, etc. she came at 38 weeks and I reopened when she was 9 weeks old. Take the time YOU and BABY need together you will NOT regret it.
lvt77 03:41 PM 02-07-2011
great Idea abagil!! congrats
ammama 04:08 PM 02-07-2011
My baby (#3) is due in the middle of June. I'm starting to close down at the beginning of May, and will have some kids until the end of May. I'm reopening September 1st, I think. I would rather have more time with just my own kids actually, but that will be all we can afford to have me take off. I already know who is coming back, have filled the spaces that will be open, and have a waiting list in case some of those families don't end up starting.
twinsand4 04:27 PM 02-07-2011
I only closed for 2 weeks iwth my last baby. With my twins i closed for 6 weeks. I have never had any issue with my parents finding alternate care.
Tags:maternity, pregnant
Reply Up