Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Giving Out Referrals
daycare 10:26 AM 11-01-2011
What information do you give out when giving referrals?
Do you give personal references, like long time family friends, past employers, past or present clients?

I feel a little strange about giving out my past or present clients information, even with their permission. What if the prospective family is overbearing or something to that degree?

Am I just over thinking this?
MarinaVanessa 10:49 AM 11-01-2011
I first talk to my family members that I've watched their children and ask them if I can continuously use them as a refferal. Family is less likely to become insulted or upset if a potential client badgers them and more likely to tell me if they ask super personal or "strange" questions. I never tell the potential clients that some of my refferals are family for the purpose of the ability for my family member to tell me whether they saw warning signs. I once had a great phone interview and face to face interview with a family and they asked for references. My SIL called me that night to tell me that the potential family asked her questions like if she knew if I was insured, for how much, what religion I was, my political views and who I voted for president ... She was not really asked any questions about my program or how I was with kids.

Then I ask clients and past clients if I can use them as referals. Then I made 3-4 different referal sheets with several referals (about 4-5 on each sheet). Each sheet had different people on them (my family member always goes on the top). This way when I hand out referals I can rotate them out and so one person doesn't get more than 1 or 2 calls each time that I hold interviews. I hate feeling like I'm constantly bothering current and past clients when I hold interviews so this helps spread it out.
Solandia 11:11 AM 11-01-2011
I have handed out references to check for each serious interview. NO ONE has ever called my references. EVER. Or called to verify my license #, nothing. 10 years...i must have a trustworthy face.
daycare 11:26 AM 11-01-2011
I have a potential client that wants to talk to a past family about how well i prepped their child for kinder. I have a kinder readiness program at my DC.

The family seems super nice and I really want to provide my services for this family, but I have never had anyone ask this before....
Cat Herder 01:45 PM 11-01-2011
I refer them to the CCR&R. That is one of the things they are there for.

No need to give out others private info any more.

Most of mine come from word of mouth, anyway, so it has not been an issue.
daycare 01:50 PM 11-01-2011
so in my case with the mom wanting to find out details about my program, would you not entertain this? The family is super nice and the child is super sweet..... I want to land this client, but don't want to do something I have never done before.

CCR&R would not have this information for the potential client, only my past clients would....
Cat Herder 02:02 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
so in my case with the mom wanting to find out details about my program, would you not entertain this? The family is super nice and the child is super sweet..... I want to land this client, but don't want to do something I have never done before.

CCR&R would not have this information for the potential client, only my past clients would....
I think you have to remember I am in the South. People are very "private" and would react poorly to my giving out their information to strangers. I have one who still only gives me her P.O. Box for an address.

For you, As long as you have their permission, go for it. I just could not get permission these days. There is a "political shift" and I am adapting . (google "tea party", "99%" and "7 billionth baby" to understand my clients)
sharlan 02:07 PM 11-01-2011
I do not give out references. References are given by your friends, not your enemies.

I've only had one parent ever ask.

All you can do is show them your program, let them see what the kids have done.
wdmmom 03:00 PM 11-01-2011
Ask a current family and a previous family to write you a letter of recommendation and use that as reference.
daycare 03:10 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I do not give out references. References are given by your friends, not your enemies.

I've only had one parent ever ask.

All you can do is show them your program, let them see what the kids have done.
lol my thought on it was....Well since I will be the one choosing who I give you as a referral, it is going to be someone who would say good things about me and would probably not really be of much help if you are trying to find dirt on me.... If you want to try to find dirt, you ain't gonna find any, but you can call CCR&R for that...

I do like the idea of the families writing letters, but I could just type up a few and sign them myself (I would never do that) but you know what I am saying.
Tags:contact information, privacy, private, reference, references
Reply Up