Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>24 Hour Child Care
Sscott7474 04:45 PM 01-16-2013
My husband and I are international pilots and are trying to find child care for our newborn that would be 24 hours a day for anywhere from 7-15 days in a month. Does anyone have any suggestions on how or where we can look for child care? What are our options?
Crazy In Mo 08:09 PM 01-16-2013
Would it be possible for you guys set up your work schedule to where you weren't working at the same time? That seems like an awful long time for a newborn to be in daycare I don't know of any daycares that do 24 hour care. I know they exist though
momofsix 08:23 PM 01-16-2013
Your best bet would probably be a live-in nanny.

I think it would be the best choice. That way your baby would be with someone they know well, someone they see on a regular basis and can bond with. This would also allow your baby to remain in your home, in its own crib and familiar surroundings when you are gone.

I really don't think even a 24 hour center could do extended care like you're looking for legally.
Unregistered 07:10 AM 01-17-2013
I figure my choices are a live in nanny or someone I REALLY trusted who's home she could go to, I just don't know where to look other than Care.com. We would try to stager our schedules but we are both fairly Jr at our companies and therefore don't have much control over our schedules.
itlw8 07:28 AM 01-17-2013
a nanny or relative is probably your only option.
NeedaVaca 07:33 AM 01-17-2013
I think when you become a parent you are sometimes faced with difficult situations but the bottom line is you always have to do what is best for your child. Not seeing your baby 15 days per month is just not a good decision in my opinion. Isn't there some way you can alternate your work schedules? I had to make decisions like this as well and chose to leave my job to be there for my son. Yes, financially it was tough but we worked through it and found a way. Above all else my son was my priority, not my job. I hope you can find a way to put your family first...
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I figure my choices are a live in nanny or someone I REALLY trusted who's home she could go to, I just don't know where to look other than Care.com. We would try to stager our schedules but we are both fairly Jr at our companies and therefore don't have much control over our schedules.
Where are you located at? Perhaps a member here offers those type of services or knows someone who does....

I would definitely recommend a nanny as well. It seems it would be a more viable solution for your child since they are spending a good deal of time away from both parents, at least the home environment would be consistent if you had a nanny.

Hoping someone here can help....
MarinaVanessa 07:57 AM 01-17-2013
If you live in a large high populated city you might be able to find a facility that provides 24 hour child care however it might be very difficult. Depending on the state that you live in the regulations might be very lax or they might be very strict about how many consecutive hours a facility can keep a child. For example some states only allow a child to be in daycare for 10-24 hours in a row. Even family child care (when a child care provider provides child care in her own home) may or may need a special license to provide overnight child care extending beyond 24 hours.

Your best solution would probably be to leave your child with family or close friends and offer them pay to cover necessities and a little for their time. If you have close relatives or friends where one spouse stays home with their own children this would be ideal. If they both work then you could offer to find a child care provider close to their home, pay the provider as well and have your friend/family member drop and pick up your child from daycare.

If you do not have friends or family that can help you then your next best option would be to hire a full-time live-in nanny. Around the clock care will be expensive as nanny's are generally already the most costly child care option but you will have one-on one attention on your child and the nanny can live in your home. The more perks the nanny has the lower the nanny's rate can be negotiated. The nanny will need his/her own room if they are live-in but you can negotiate a reduction in the nanny's rates to cover housing and utility costs which is the norm for live-in nanny's.

Other "perks" that can help reduce the rates are things like allowing the nanny full use of common areas of the home, internet and phone priveleges, if you have a computer at your home you can offer her computer use, access to your vehicle to transport herself and your child, a gas card with limitations that you will only cover gas costs if the driving is related to something for your child such (trips to grocery store, baby store etc.). You can also reduce the amount of housework you expect her to do for you and the household. Typically nanny's have light household responsibilities such as light cooking duties not only for children but also for the family, laundry, dusting, vacuuming etc. You can reduce these chores to only include things related directly to your child such as your child's laundry, a quick wipe/rinse down of the bathroom or baby tub after baths, vacuuming only the areas that your child will play on and only if needed etc.

Most nanny's are young and in school so most likely you'll be looking at an older woman. Or you may even find some luck with a single mother of a young child, that might work for the both of you. I would require that they take CPR classes, be tested for Hep and TB and have a background check done from the Department of Justice. I would interview candidates and get to them fairly soon so that you can get to know them better before leaving them alone with your child. I would also ask a neighbor or friend that you are close with to drop by every few days to check in on things and give your nanny their number as well in case they need anything. I hope this helps.
itlw8 01:10 PM 01-17-2013
another option is an Au Pair they come from other countries and live in your house They are screened by the company you go through to hire one. Often they are students that need a place to live to cut expenses
grandmom 03:07 PM 01-17-2013
Call your local family child care providers. I'd do it. I often do 24-hour care for the parents I have.
MarinaVanessa 04:05 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Call your local family child care providers. I'd do it. I often do 24-hour care for the parents I have.
In the OP the parent says that it would be 24 hour care for several weeks at a time. I know that in some states the regulations are different and do allow more than 24 hours of consecutive care given but it's very difficult to find these types of providers. By any means they should look and ask around but I think that at this point it'll be easier and faster to find a nanny than to call around trying to find a provider that will be willing to care for their child for 2 weeks straight while the parents are both working in other states/countries KWIM?

I even thought of the Au-pair option but didn't mention it earlier because I was under the impression that Au-pairs are students that come from abroad to study here while taking up residency as a part-time nanny in a persons home. I think Au-pairs need to be given time to go to school and study and that would be difficult to do if they have to care for a child for weeks at a time while the parents were away for work. This will be a regular occurrence so I do not see how an Au-pair will work for them .

Edit: My family researched having an au-pair and in the 2 organizations that they contacted each one had the requirements that the au-pair had to be given time off weekly (like once a week minimum) for him/herself, they couldn't work more than a certain hours each day and the au-pair had to be enrolled at least part-time in school. There are many organizations out there so I'm sure may be different in other organizations but most Au-pair organizations accept only people that are between the ages of late-teens (like 17) to mid 20's that are students so that they can get student visas since work visas are harder to obtain in the US.
Hunni Bee 04:47 PM 01-17-2013
I can't imagine this being legal anywhere.

In my state, "24-hour childcare" means the center/fcc can operate around the clock. No one child can be there for a full 24 hour period. Let alone possibly two consecutive weeks.
Crazy In Mo 05:04 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I think when you become a parent you are sometimes faced with difficult situations but the bottom line is you always have to do what is best for your child. Not seeing your baby 15 days per month is just not a good decision in my opinion. Isn't there some way you can alternate your work schedules? I had to make decisions like this as well and chose to leave my job to be there for my son. Yes, financially it was tough but we worked through it and found a way. Above all else my son was my priority, not my job. I hope you can find a way to put your family first...

Unregistered 05:50 PM 01-17-2013
Thank you for your comments. I am of course trying to work with my company to get a reduced schedule and maybe job share but I want to try and plan for a worse case scenario. A live in nanny is my first choice. What I have found in Au Pair services they can only work 45hrs a week. It is not going to be any easy task but I am sure I will find someone who will fit in with our family.
MamaG 12:13 AM 01-18-2013
I think you need to rethink your career. It's not conducive to raising a child. You need to study infant development. You will seriously mess this child up if you think you can hire a chick to replace you on that level. Plain cruel! I wouldn't let a dog from me let alone suggest having a child. Try a house plant. They don't require being the most important thing in your life. Asking for a stranger to raise your child, make sacrifices and commit that level of time and love is outrageous.

I edited this tring to be more polite but you can't really be polite in the face of such selfishness.
MarinaVanessa 01:56 PM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you for your comments. I am of course trying to work with my company to get a reduced schedule and maybe job share but I want to try and plan for a worse case scenario. A live in nanny is my first choice. What I have found in Au Pair services they can only work 45hrs a week. It is not going to be any easy task but I am sure I will find someone who will fit in with our family.
I hope your work can work with you . A nanny really does seem like the best choice for you and your family. Good luck.
makap 02:49 PM 01-18-2013
Is this for real? Poor little baby! I am sorry but this just sounds so very selfish to me. I would give up anything to raise my child myself. In fact I think many of us on here have given up and sacrificed great jobs and income to stay home with our babies. Many of us chose a career in childcare because of this very reason.

I too wonder why you would have had a baby if you are unable to be there to raise him. To not see your child for days at a time? You are looking basically for someone else to raise him! I am just shaking my head in disbelief!

Maybe you can find someone to adopt him who will want nothing more than to be there for him and then you can travel the world baby free without worry.
itlw8 03:07 PM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by makap:
Is this for real? Poor little baby! I am sorry but this just sounds so very selfish to me. I would give up anything to raise my child myself. In fact I think many of us on here have given up and sacrificed great jobs and income to stay home with our babies. Many of us chose a career in childcare because of this very reason.

I too wonder why you would have had a baby if you are unable to be there to raise him. To not see your child for days at a time? You are looking basically for someone else to raise him! I am just shaking my head in disbelief!

Maybe you can find someone to adopt him who will want nothing more than to be there for him and then you can travel the world baby free without worry.

really you could be this rude to a parent ? Everyone needs to do what is best for their familiy.
Unregistered 03:32 PM 01-18-2013
Well I can see this isn't the right forum for my question's there only seems to be one helpful person the rest seem to want to tear a person down when they know nothing of my life and choices... To each her own, every family dynamic is different and what works for some doesn't work for others. Thanx anyways. Good bye
MamaG 03:37 PM 01-18-2013

Amen! I keep thinking like do you huff paint for fun? You can't fly the world and have a child. Go regional or stay home and be a mother! I can't even imagine this. I would live in my moms house before giveing up my child like that. That baby needs consistent care from a mom who is always there not there half the time and someone else the other half.
MamaG 03:40 PM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
really you could be this rude to a parent ? Everyone needs to do what is best for their familiy.
There is no way two international pilots can raise a healthy child. You can't have a career that demands that kind of time from you and an infant. If she were a close friend or family member I'd have even harsher opinions to share with her. Would you recommend to a med student, yea start a family right now! No. She asked we told!
NeedaVaca 04:13 PM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I don't think she will really be a "parent" if she never see's her child...When I originally saw this post the other evening I decided to wait until the morning to post a response because I was so so sad and mad about the situation. I honestly couldn't sleep that night! So I just wonder how this parent can sleep at night not seeing her baby 1/2 the month every month...the whole thing is just too sad for words
Snapdragon 04:14 PM 01-18-2013

Sorry, but I feel this is terribly judgemental. The OP asked for advice, not opinions. We can't know their circumstances and it's unfair to judge.
Meyou 12:36 AM 01-19-2013
Last time I checked people that travel, work shift work and have less than traditional schedules have a right to have children too. I'm ashamed that this forum has driven away a parent who was looking for HELP and ADVISE to make things work.

Just because their life isn't ideal for you doesn't mean that it isn't right for them or their child.

Judgey Mcjudgerson's much?
Unregistered 10:53 AM 01-19-2013
Maybe try to find a SAHM that is willing to add your lil' one to their family while you are out of town. Or even an older couple, could be the grandchildren they never had! That is if you are willing to allow your daughter to "live" with them while you are traveling. I am sure this will not be inexpensive though! ......... Good Luck!
Nickel 08:20 PM 01-20-2013
I am a little disappointed in some of the responses that were given. You cannot know a families situation, and judging someone on that just isn't right. Things happen. And she never said it was consecutive care. Honestly, 7-15 days a month isn't that long. Working parents that are away 40-50 hours a week sometimes only see there child for an hour in the evening.

I come from a military family. I know many dual military parents. What if they had to deploy at the same time? Should they forfeit the right to be parents? I can't believe some of the comments that were given.

Because one family made the choice to stay home with their child and do child care, or just be a sahm does not give them the right to decide what is best for another family. What works for some may not be right for every family. We should not judge another families decision.
nanglgrl 09:56 PM 01-20-2013
I have tried and tried not to comment on the post because I had no advice to give other than to ask the poster to please do whatever she could to stay home with her child, find an other job or get her hours reduced but now I have to say something.
I understand that we don't know her situation and that there are dual military parents and others that work 50 plus hours a week but that doesn't make it any less horrible.
My sister is in the Navy and she's a single parent. Her mom (my step mom) helps, other family helps and of course there's a long line of providers that he jumps around to. A few days ago she stated how sad it was that he cries for her when she has to leave to go out on ship but when she finally gets back he cries because he doesn't want to leave the sitter. He's a confused little boy, it's hard for her to be around him because she's not used to raising him. She has a hard time connecting with his cries, body language etc. because they didn't grow with each other.
How many times have we talked about how the children who are with us over 10 hours a day are also the children that have more behavior problems? How many states have regulations prohibiting such extended care? A lot, and there is a reason for it.
I'm glad some of the posters said only nice things but I'm also happy that some told the OP the hard facts. I don't know why she feels she can't leave her job but she needs to hear both sides even if she thinks it's harsh because this is a huge decision.
Original poster, are you o.k. with your child calling someone else mommy/daddy? I don't say this to hurt you I only say it so you can get ready for the future. I have had plenty of daycare kids call me mommy and they have been the ones that are here 10 hours a day, I imagine your child has a good chance of doing this after being away from his/her parents for so long. Are you ready for your child to scream for someone else when you are there for them or to be on their provider's schedule? Are you willing to wonder why your child likes one thing and doesn't like another and then find out that it's because they are taking after their provider? This things can and probably will happen. In the first few years children develop so much, if you aren't there for it you can never get it back.
I'm not trying to be mean to you, I hope you and your child the best. I'm sorry that you thought some posters were mean but this probably isn't the best board to post you problem in. Most of the women here are helpful so they will try but most of them have also given up great jobs, better pay, opportunities, recognition and benefits to stay home with their children so they can avoid having to live a situation that isn't nearly as extreme as yours. All the best.
Tags:24 hour care
Reply Up