Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>STINKY! Help!!
Play Care 04:57 AM 10-30-2014
My dcg came in this morning smelling like skunk. I figured mom hit one on the way here and the smell would dissapate - It didn't. I asked dcg if mom had hit a skunk on the way in and she said no. But then she said a skunk sprayed their dog. She smells like skunk terribly. Everything she touches or sits in/on smells
I've never had this happen before.
NeedaVaca 05:14 AM 10-30-2014
eewww, I hope the smell doesn't linger in your house...it can and will take a long time to go away. I don't know for sure what I would do as this has never happened to me but if the smell was seriously bad I would kindly ask mom to please take her home to treat her and the dog for the odor. I would probably get sick from smelling that all day...Plus, if she smells that bad none of her friends will want to play with her and that could hurt her feelings.
nannyde 05:18 AM 10-30-2014
Call her and tell her to come get her.

That is ridiculous.

She can't expose you and the other kids to that.
Kimskiddos 05:37 AM 10-30-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

That is ridiculous.

MyAngels 05:39 AM 10-30-2014

That is ridiculous.

I'd wait outside for her, too. I wouldn't want the smell in my house where it will linger for who knows how long
DaveA 05:49 AM 10-30-2014
I'd call DCM and have her come pick up before the smell gets too engrained into stuff there.
Leigh 05:59 AM 10-30-2014

That is ridiculous.

Second Home 06:21 AM 10-30-2014
The skunk oil can take forever to get off cloth and skin , I know from personal experience. There is no way I could have the child sitting on furniture or carpets where the oils could transfer . Poor kid to have to smell like that all day .

I would have mom come pick up too.
Kabob 06:28 AM 10-30-2014
Just when I thought I've heard everything...

Dcm better pick up quickly...
hope 07:10 AM 10-30-2014
Please send that child home. Your home should not be subjected to that smell. Take the kids all outside to play till parent comes for pick up. That is so unnecessary. I can't believe someone would drop a child off like that!
grateday 08:35 AM 10-30-2014
Someone smeared that on some lockers when I was in high school it lasted forever. Every morning I only went down that hall if I had too. It was just wrong. Some people sort of just don't seem to mind it because they would always be hanging around in that hall.
Play Care 09:08 AM 10-30-2014
Child did go home.
I honestly think they didn't realize how bad it still was. You do tend to get used to your own stink
Annalee 09:29 AM 10-30-2014
Originally Posted by grateday:
Someone smeared that on some lockers when I was in high school it lasted forever. Every morning I only went down that hall if I had too. It was just wrong. Some people sort of just don't seem to mind it because they would always be hanging around in that hall.
My 2 brothers put skunk spray in the air vent (the old ones back in the 80's) at school and the school still tells people that story....every cousin/niece/nephew, etc....gets told what their kinfolk did then they move them to the front of the class
Unregistered 11:28 AM 10-30-2014
With the dog being sprayed, the family probably had their senses overwhelmed and did not know that they to were carrying the smell around with them.

Good way to get rid of the smell - Baking Soda, Hydrogen Peroxide, and a small amount of dishwashing soap. Put it in a spray bottle and spritz dog. I wouldn't put this directly on your furniture though. As it could bleach darker colors.

Works well on cat pee on floors as well.
Unregistered 02:32 PM 10-30-2014
My dogs get skunked at least once every year, and I feel for the poor parents because you never really know if the smell is gone- it gets into your nose and you don't know if it's really you or just memory because of how stressful the situation is!

Odoban is great stuff, there's also nature's miracle. Before I discovered those, we used straight vinegar on all surfaces and then bowls of it around the house.

I get nervous every year around this time, because it's skunk season and no matter how many times the dogs get it, they don't learn to stay away from them! (I also live in a major city- never had a problem when we lived in the country- go figure!)
Play Care 03:03 AM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by :
My dogs get skunked at least once every year, and I feel for the poor parents because you never really know if the smell is gone- it gets into your nose and you don't know if it's really you or just memory because of how stressful the situation is!
Originally Posted by :
With the dog being sprayed, the family probably had their senses overwhelmed and did not know that they to were carrying the smell around with them.
I completely agree. I felt really bad for them, this is a very nice family. I don't think they did it on purpose or even realized the scent was still clinging to them. I've never had this happen before and just felt so bad for the family and child.
Reply Up