Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Can't Cover Myself
Unregistered 10:53 AM 08-18-2015
Should a ALMOST 4 year old be able to cover herself with a blanket on her cot? I always put it on her initially but she always plays around and takes it off and then gets upset if I won't put it back on her. Today I told her she had to try pulling it back on herself first befor I would cover her again but with no luck and a meltdown. Am I asking too much for this age? I am having a hard time teaching her self help skills because when I ask her to try it ends in a I can't do it meltdown. How can I help her learn?
littletots 11:03 AM 08-18-2015
For the last 16 yrs I wake up in middle of night for potty break, walk by hubby & recover him. You better teach her how to cover up. I doubt her partner would be so kind.
Unregistered 11:12 AM 08-18-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
For the last 16 yrs I wake up in middle of night for potty break, walk by hubby & recover him. You better teach her how to cover up. I doubt her partner would be so kind.
Lol
Indoorvoice 11:15 AM 08-18-2015
Yes a 4 year old should be able to do that. With that being said, my own 4 year old often pulls this stuff when she is feeling frustrated, tired, or attention deprived and she reverts back to being helpless. Sometimes they just want to be babied or want extra help with things. I'm pretty forgiving in this area, because I recognize that even as an adult I sometimes want extra help with things that I'm capable of doing too. One thing I do is say, "Ok, I know you can do that yourself, but I'll help you with that in a minute when I'm not busy." That gives her the reassurance that I will be there to help her, but also gives her the chance to try by herself and realize I'm not just going to do silly things for her exactly when she tells me to. You can also go the "natural consequences" route and just not help. If she's cold enough, she'll figure it out! "oh bummer! I can't help with that right now! Hope you don't get cold!" You may have to endure the meltdown though, and not back down. They will learn self help skills if you give them opportunities. Just because you help with things occasionally doesn't mean you are depriving her of those opportunities, it just means you recognize she is human and wants help sometimes.
Controlled Chaos 11:33 AM 08-18-2015
At nap time, I tuck kids in once with a song and a hug, then I will put a blanket back on 1 time after they kick it off (maybe a few more warning for a child under 2y) and then they lose their blanket. If they settle down, and try to sleep for a bit I may give it back. I ALWAYS put it back on a sleeping child

Other times of the day I am more likely to help a child with a skill I know they have already mastered but during nap its a distraction and I don't tolerate it.
nanglgrl 12:06 PM 08-18-2015
Odd daycare provider out here. I would not put the cover back on the child at any age. I don't have blankets on infants so that's not a concern and if a child over a year uncovered themselves they are capable of fixing their blanket if they're cold and if they choose not to they aren't going to freeze to death. My daycare is in the basement and the air is on which makes it colder down there but still a blanket is more of a emotional comfort item than a physical comfort one. Now if it were uncomfortably cold in my home (like its below zero outside and I have the windows open), I would make sure children were warm but I can't see that happening.
I once had a 2 year old refuse to take of his own shoes at arrival because his parents always did it for him. After 3 days of him sitting by the door, acting like he was incapable and whining he finally gave in and did it himself. I wouldn't let him play with the group until he took his shoes off so the first few days he put on quite the show before he finally got them off (they were crocs) but when he realized he had no audience and was missing out on fun he got over it quick and really started to enjoy his independence. I started to see him blossom after that. This situation isn't exactly like yours but because of the age of the child it sounds like it's a power struggle, an attention seeking behavior or nap avoidance. Whichever one it is it will stop once she realizes that you won't do it for her.
CraftyMom 12:08 PM 08-18-2015
Here we call it a "blanket fix"

They each get one blanket fix. After that if their blanket falls off they fix it themselves. After they are sleeping I cover them all up if they haven't done it or if it falls off

I make their one blanket fix fun by wooshing their blanket in the air and letting it land covering their whole body. They giggle and then snuggle in

It's funny to hear them ask "can I have my blanket fix please?"
grateday 03:08 PM 08-24-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Here we call it a "blanket fix"

They each get one blanket fix. After that if their blanket falls off they fix it themselves. After they are sleeping I cover them all up if they haven't done it or if it falls off

I make their one blanket fix fun by wooshing their blanket in the air and letting it land covering their whole body. They giggle and then snuggle in

It's funny to hear them ask "can I have my blanket fix please?"
Sometimes reminding them of the rules ahead of time helps the problem
nannyde 04:50 PM 08-24-2015
Halo sack. They make them with feet in size four.
rosieteddy 05:43 PM 08-24-2015
I used a light weight sleeping bag .Works like a charm.
Reply Up