Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Helping Families With The Transition To New Childcare
Unregistered 10:42 PM 09-12-2015
How do I help families with the transition process of looking for a new childcare? What can I tell them in terms of what a child does when they are adjusting?
Unregistered 10:50 PM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do I help families with the transition process of looking for a new childcare? What can I tell them in terms of what a child does when they are adjusting?
How can I help the kids too? I really love them and I am going to miss them.
rosieteddy 07:23 AM 09-13-2015
I had to close DC I was on vacation and had a heart attack.After a stint placement and being not able to lift aver 10 lbs I made the decision to close.I am older (61)and was up for reliscensing in may.I did not feel that it was best for families to wait on me as I was not sure of prognosis.I told all families if the Parents were positive then the children would adjust pretty well.In our situation the kids had a nanny at one parents house for 2 weeks then they went their seperate ways.After a month I went to each home and brought each child a special gift and something that they cherished from daycare. They had all transitioned fine even the families that had been with me for years (6+8).We are replaceable and at the end of the day kids move on.So do what you need to do.Upbeat and if you want to get rid of things favorite books or toys send them home with them.I also make a photo book for each child when they leave.
grateday 10:14 AM 09-13-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I had to close DC I was on vacation and had a heart attack.After a stint placement and being not able to lift aver 10 lbs I made the decision to close.I am older (61)and was up for reliscensing in may.I did not feel that it was best for families to wait on me as I was not sure of prognosis.I told all families if the Parents were positive then the children would adjust pretty well.In our situation the kids had a nanny at one parents house for 2 weeks then they went their seperate ways.After a month I went to each home and brought each child a special gift and something that they cherished from daycare. They had all transitioned fine even the families that had been with me for years (6+8).We are replaceable and at the end of the day kids move on.So do what you need to do.Upbeat and if you want to get rid of things favorite books or toys send them home with them.I also make a photo book for each child when they leave.
I was going to ask if that was ok for me to do that for them-photo book. Great idea with the stuff thing too=)
Ariana 06:45 AM 09-14-2015
Another thing is to allow kids to be sad first and foremost. Don't try to minimize it by saying how much fun their new daycare is going to be etc. Just support them in their grief. I would tell the parents the same thing. The more they are allowed to feel sad the quicker it passes and doesn't cause long term issues.
Reply Up