Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>4 yr DCB Eating Issue
Unregistered 12:57 PM 05-10-2016
I have a 4 yr old DCB that doesn't like much food and refuses to try new things. DCM made a list of foods for me to choose from which isn't much. He is a grilled cheese kid. He would eat only that all day every day if he could. Problem is I can't keep serving that because its not all that healthy and the other kids sometimes wants one too and its not fair.

I refused him a few times and he will just go hungry and whine about that he is hungry yet won't give in and eat the other foods. I have even started buildings my menu around him and his food likes. Still some days he won't eat even foods he likes. DCM tells me she wants him to eat and offers to leave work and bring him a meal. Problem is again fairness to the other kids, what if they want what he has and throw fits... The DCM says she will do anything I ask but problem is I don't know what to ask. Any advice?
Cat Herder 01:07 PM 05-10-2016
I have never seen a child starve themselves when fresh, healthy food is available to them.

I have seen adults teach kids to prefer junk food.

If it is not an option, the kid can't choose it.
Leigh 01:26 PM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 4 yr old DCB that doesn't like much food and refuses to try new things. DCM made a list of foods for me to choose from which isn't much. He is a grilled cheese kid. He would eat only that all day every day if he could. Problem is I can't keep serving that because its not all that healthy and the other kids sometimes wants one too and its not fair.

I refused him a few times and he will just go hungry and whine about that he is hungry yet won't give in and eat the other foods. I have even started buildings my menu around him and his food likes. Still some days he won't eat even foods he likes. DCM tells me she wants him to eat and offers to leave work and bring him a meal. Problem is again fairness to the other kids, what if they want what he has and throw fits... The DCM says she will do anything I ask but problem is I don't know what to ask. Any advice?
All I got is: I can't cater to picky eaters. I plan a meal, cook it, serve it. It's up to the child to eat it or not. If the child has a legitimate feeding issue, I'd tell her she can come pick him up and take him off site for lunch daily as long as it doesn't create a disruption. That's as far as I'd be willing to go (and I think that it would quickly turn into a huge annoyance).
Rockgirl 01:30 PM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
All I got is: I can't cater to picky eaters. I plan a meal, cook it, serve it. It's up to the child to eat it or not. If the child has a legitimate feeding issue, I'd tell her she can come pick him up and take him off site for lunch daily as long as it doesn't create a disruption. That's as far as I'd be willing to go (and I think that it would quickly turn into a huge annoyance).
Yep. I stopped stressing over the kids' eating preferences a long time ago. I serve the food, they eat it or not. There's usually at least one thing on their plates they will eat here--mine aren't too picky.
Ariana 01:33 PM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
This. This is how I handle daycare kids. I can't cater to one child. I do the same for my super picky eater that is my own child. I serve food and they either eat or they don't. I will try and serve at least one food they like each day, either at lunch or snack so that they eat something but that is it.

If this child looks healthy and is a healthy weight then they are feeding him well enough at home so don't worry. I currently have a dcg who is 2 yrs okd and weighs 38 pounds. She eats nothing here unless it has cheese on it. I don't sweat it....she is huge
Rockgirl 01:36 PM 05-10-2016
Another thing--we don't say "That's yucky" or "I don't like that". We keep it to ourselves and mind our manners.
laundrymom 03:23 PM 05-10-2016
I offer. They eat or not. It's their belly. I don't stress.
The more attention he gets, the happier he will be. Make it a non issue. If mom chooses to allow it then that's on her.
JackandJill 03:36 PM 05-10-2016

The only way I would agree to this arrangement is if the meal is off site. I have a feeling that everyone will want "the special lunch" mom is bringing, and it will only cause more of a problem. I would also make sure she knows that the arrangement can only be done so long as it doesn't completely disrupt the day.

Just some advice, my 4 year old is the pickiest eater. He can chose to eat what is made or not, but I don't give him any special attention about it. So far he hasn't starved If anything, I believe not giving him attention on the matter has made him try and enjoy a wider variety of food than if I sat there begging him to eat.

Best of luck!
Thriftylady 03:43 PM 05-10-2016
I agree with much of what has already been posted as far as he won't starve himself, and we never say "I don't like that". Also I refuse to make different food for a child. Here it is "you get what you get and don't throw a fit".
rosieteddy 07:02 AM 05-11-2016
I would try to serve something from the list if possible.I also would have a grilled cheese day weekly.Other than that -you get what you get. No way would mom be coming to take him to lunch,to disruptive. If you serve breakfast tell mom to feed him before arrival . Then he just needs to eat something for lunch.
Snowmom 07:53 AM 05-11-2016

Ugh. That statement makes my heart hurt and I don't understand this line of thinking. She's doing him absolutely no favors by limiting him nutritionally. DCB has mom trained to only serve him foods HE DICTATES and he's trying to do the same at daycare. I wouldn't even entertain that idea.
finsup 10:14 AM 05-11-2016
So my son, who is 4.5 is going through a picky phase. I'm not impressed given that this kid USED to be great about trying new foods. I did the whole "eat it or don't" thing but the problem was he still wouldn't try anything new. So, new idea. He now helps me cook lunch since kids are more likely to eat something they helped cook. Then, I get out my mini muffin tin and put one bite of each new food or a food that's maybe prepared different then he's used to in each space. He tries it, and can decide what he wants on his plate. This week alone he has learned he likes ham steak, green beans, chicken parmesan, and prefers pasta with sauce over without sauce. I call them "tiny bowls" I'd do it with the others but they eat everything already lol. If he tries each bite and truly doesn't like any of it he can have an alternative for the day. Each day I have a quick, different alternavite. One day it's a turkey sandwich, one day pbj, one day bagel with cream cheese. I don't mention the alternative lunch or what it is until after the tiny bowls are gone. Lunch is the only meal I offer an alternative, the rest of the time he's out of luck

You could totally skip the offering an alternative and just have him help cook (if you can), then having him try one bite of each item and letting him decide which items he wants on his plate. Ideally working up to him eating everything you serve, but, baby steps
Tags:food battles, food choices, lunch issues, meal time - rules
Reply Up