Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pulled Up a Corner of the Carpet
Sunchimes 12:27 PM 05-19-2016
I was planning on pulling up the carpet in the playroom and putting down a vinyl floor. After I priced vinyl, I decided that maybe the wood floor wasn't as bad as I remember, so I pulled up a corner and looked. OH MY GOODNESS! There is a solid layer of sand under there!! White sand, like playbox sand. How??? The carpet has only been down 6 years, I vacuum every day. I'm so disgusted. I brought in an area rug to sit on today and tomorrow. Shudder. I'm thinking I will get rid of the carpet and leave the bare floor with area rugs. My floor isn't pretty. It is mahogany, built ca 1870, and I don't think it has ever been refinished. I think we will just live with scarred but CLEAN floors for the foreseeable future.
Unregistered 12:32 PM 05-19-2016
Could it be the dust from the rubber under the carpet breaking off due to age? I've had rugs do that
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 05-19-2016
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I was planning on pulling up the carpet in the playroom and putting down a vinyl floor. After I priced vinyl, I decided that maybe the wood floor wasn't as bad as I remember, so I pulled up a corner and looked. OH MY GOODNESS! There is a solid layer of sand under there!! White sand, like playbox sand. How??? The carpet has only been down 6 years, I vacuum every day. I'm so disgusted. I brought in an area rug to sit on today and tomorrow. Shudder. I'm thinking I will get rid of the carpet and leave the bare floor with area rugs. My floor isn't pretty. It is mahogany, built ca 1870, and I don't think it has ever been refinished. I think we will just live with scarred but CLEAN floors for the foreseeable future.
Doing a quick Google search....seems it's pretty common

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20my%20carpet

Seems it's more or less the deterioration of the latex backing

NOT positive but that's what I found when I did a quick search
mommyneedsadayoff 02:14 PM 05-19-2016
Ohhhh, I would LOVE original wood floors! Save the money and have them refinished! Even scarred and marred up, they are so unique and beautiful in my opinion.
Mike 03:45 PM 05-19-2016
It could be the deterioration of the backing or underlay, but it's also just sand and dust. People think a vacuum can suck up everything, right down to the floor under the carpet. Nope, can't. I've replaced many carpets and it doesn't take long for the floor underneath to get dirty. Many people like carpets, but don't realise they are not the cleanest option for a floor. It's best to not have carpets and use area rugs instead.

Do a little test. Put an area rug down and leave it there for a month, just vacuuming it while in place. After a month, pick it up.

Mommyneedsadayoff is right. Original wood floors look beautiful refinished, even if they have defects.
Unregistered 04:50 PM 05-19-2016
My house is old with wood floors that have never been refinished. There are marks from scissors and razor blades, like they laid there and rusted. Everyone says that the flaws will look cool if someone knows what they're doing - like when old warehouses are turned into condos or lofts, with a thick glossy finish. Wish I knew who to call!
Sunchimes 04:56 PM 05-19-2016
I've refinished 2 rooms already, so I'm pretty good at it. . But, it takes at least 3 days to do all the coats, then it needs a few days to cure before it gets heavy use. There just isn't enough time for that.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:00 PM 05-19-2016
When you get them redone, they are amazing! They are sanding off the Knicks and blemishes and they seal them, but actual wood floors do need love and I recommend a no shoes policy to help protect them. But seriously, mahogany wood floors circa the late 1800s...priceless
Sunchimes 05:05 PM 05-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Doing a quick Google search....seems it's pretty common

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20my%20carpet

Seems it's more or less the deterioration of the latex backing

NOT positive but that's what I found when I did a quick search
Interesting. My area rugs get sort of dusty underneath, but it is not like this. Then, I realized that I periodically roll them up and vacuum under them. This is a glue down carpet, sort of an indoor/outdoor thing. I just never glued it down. But it is wall to wall, so I've never rolled it up. I am so disgusted. I will never again have carpet that can't be picked up every week.
Ariana 05:41 PM 05-19-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Ohhhh, I would LOVE original wood floors! Save the money and have them refinished! Even scarred and marred up, they are so unique and beautiful in my opinion.
Totally this! It is pretty easy to refinish them too. Lots of Youtube vids for doing it yourself.

Carpets are nasty no doubt about it! Doesn't matter how much you clean them either, they just attract dirt. Plus the underpad deteriorates into dust which is what happened to the crappy pink carpet at my old house that was put down in 1994! Ugh. We just moved and our whole upper floor is carpet. We are going to be replacing with wood as soon as we can.
Tags:flooring
Reply Up