Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do in a Major Emergency?
Daycare Darling 07:19 AM 01-25-2020
Those with a small single provider daycare, what would you do in the case of hospitalization of self or child? I'm a small unregistered daycare in NJ, here you can have up to five kids. I often wonder what would I do in some sort of freak accident, like if you were outside with the kids and a tree branch fell and struck you or a child. Would you send the child alone in the ambulance? I don't see it possible for caregiver and four other children to accompany said child? What if it was yourself? What can you do when you have a serious injury where can't wait for five parents to come from 1/2 hour or an hour away? I've tried to look up protocol but can't find anything for single provider care.
PB&J 07:52 AM 01-25-2020
I would have to send the child alone. My son is a 911 paramedic and I can tell you that first responders take very good care and comfort of children alone, and they make sure hospital personnel are aware. At the hospitals here, someone is assigned to stay with the child until family arrives. I would make sure to keep calling family and emergency contacts until I reach someone in person, to make sure that someone who the child knows is aware and responding.
This is in our handbook, so parents know the procedure before signing up.
flying_babyb 08:42 AM 01-25-2020
when I used to nanny for 4 kids, I would take a phone with me everywere. I taught the oldest two how to dail 911. I also taught them to read a paper out of my pocket. It said "I am at ____ st in any city, state. I need help. My nanny is hurt and needs help now.
Never had to use it but it made me feel safter that the kids could call if needed.
Daycare Darling 09:26 AM 01-25-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
when I used to nanny for 4 kids, I would take a phone with me everywere. I taught the oldest two how to dail 911. I also taught them to read a paper out of my pocket. It said "I am at ____ st in any city, state. I need help. My nanny is hurt and needs help now.
Never had to use it but it made me feel safter that the kids could call if needed.
The note idea is good it reminds me of an idea I thought of for outside/field trips which is to get the kids ID bracelets with thier name parent contact and daycare name if caregiver (myself) is injured as all my dck are under 3 thanks
Unregistered 12:29 PM 01-25-2020
Do you have an emergency substitute? It can be a spouse, a neighbor, a friend who lives close by. I have all of the kids emergency contact numbers in a pocket taped inside the kitchen cabinet so that their parents can be contacted by the emergency substitute to come pick up in the case of an emergency. If I ever have to dial 911, the very next call I make is to my substitute who is ideally able to make it to my home in 5 minutes. Then I will try my best to make sure that I can go with the sick/hurt kiddo while a neighbor or my substitute steps in to watch the other kids and make calls for pick up.
rosieteddy 07:07 PM 01-26-2020
I also had a neighbor on call in case of emergency.
Snowmom 06:46 AM 01-27-2020
I was just going over this in my head a few days ago.
We've had so many instances of cars hitting kids that get off the bus lately. Once child died another was ok but bad injuries.
I asked myself a few questions:
1. How many neighbors do I know that I could call and be there if it happened to my own child? I have a couple but one is a snow bird in AZ half the year.
2. How quickly could own my family be here? Probably an hour- not much help there. In a true emergency, I need my husband to be more reachable, this will be an area for improvement for me.
3. How reliable are the families I care for and could I expect them to pick up immediately if I needed them to? Likely half/half. THIS is where I need to improve the most. I need to come up with a plan to make it crystal clear an emergency is happening... drop all and come for your child.
4. Who are my back ups and can I count on them?

So, this is what I would suggest. Ask yourself some questions on how you'd handle things and what options are there.
Cat Herder 07:33 AM 01-27-2020
My emergency plan includes a landing zone since we are very rural. I set it up, in advance, with my local EMS/Fire when I first opened due to my own child having died of SIDS in daycare and at the time I was caring for mostly children with extreme medical and cardiac issues.

I also have three retired teachers, two homeschool families and two SAHM/LEO families within my cul-de-sac whom I maintain relationships with, in both directions. A few craft supplies, books, curriculum guides and date nights here and there can be invaluable. We benefit in fresh veggies and eggs on the regular and in a crisis, it literally saved one of my other son's life a few years ago.

I had to use my emergency plan, but not with a daycare child. My own son (tween at the time) was in an accident while playing with neighbors kids (summer break). At 3 minutes I had two retired school teachers, three teenage homeschool girls and one LEO on scene caring for my daycare kids (1/1 ratio so they would not be scared. They also did my laundry, washed my dishes and cooked meals to stock my fridge.). At 5 minutes, I helped package and load my son, myself, into the ambulance with a crew I had known for over 25 years (one was there the day my first son died) and had eleven neighbors making calls and picking up my daughter from a sleepover across town. At 9 minutes my son was airlifted to a pediatric trauma center with a crew I had known for almost 20 years. Within 15 minutes all 6 of my daycare kids were with family, my other two kids were packed and we were en route to the trauma center two hours away POV. When I arrived he was coming out of surgery with DH by his side since landing, we went home in six days, in three months he had made an almost full recovery.

Planning and knowing your neighbors makes all the difference in the world. I love my neighborhood.
dolores 08:00 AM 01-27-2020
I am sooooo very sorry for your loss CH . Glad your other son recovered but that too sounded like a traumatic time .
Cat Herder 08:53 AM 01-27-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
I am sooooo very sorry for your loss CH . Glad your other son recovered but that too sounded like a traumatic time .
Thank you. It was not a great day, but the outcome was.
flying_babyb 05:03 PM 01-27-2020
Originally Posted by Daycare Darling:
The note idea is good it reminds me of an idea I thought of for outside/field trips which is to get the kids ID bracelets with thier name parent contact and daycare name if caregiver (myself) is injured as all my dck are under 3 thanks
Great idea!!! we have a big orange band on the stroller that says "Emergency information in basket" then have laminated emergency cards in there.
Country Kids 11:54 AM 01-28-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My emergency plan includes a landing zone since we are very rural. I set it up, in advance, with my local EMS/Fire when I first opened due to my own child having died of SIDS in daycare and at the time I was caring for mostly children with extreme medical and cardiac issues.

I also have three retired teachers, two homeschool families and two SAHM/LEO families within my cul-de-sac whom I maintain relationships with, in both directions. A few craft supplies, books, curriculum guides and date nights here and there can be invaluable. We benefit in fresh veggies and eggs on the regular and in a crisis, it literally saved one of my other son's life a few years ago.

I had to use my emergency plan, but not with a daycare child. My own son (tween at the time) was in an accident while playing with neighbors kids (summer break). At 3 minutes I had two retired school teachers, three teenage homeschool girls and one LEO on scene caring for my daycare kids (1/1 ratio so they would not be scared. They also did my laundry, washed my dishes and cooked meals to stock my fridge.). At 5 minutes, I helped package and load my son, myself, into the ambulance with a crew I had known for over 25 years (one was there the day my first son died) and had eleven neighbors making calls and picking up my daughter from a sleepover across town. At 9 minutes my son was airlifted to a pediatric trauma center with a crew I had known for almost 20 years. Within 15 minutes all 6 of my daycare kids were with family, my other two kids were packed and we were en route to the trauma center two hours away POV. When I arrived he was coming out of surgery with DH by his side since landing, we went home in six days, in three months he had made an almost full recovery.

Planning and knowing your neighbors makes all the difference in the world. I love my neighborhood.

Cat Herder-does your state not require any background checks, classes, or so many hours before children can be around the children? That would be such a huge write up for our state even in the event of an emergency it.

I had an emergency with my hubby one time and he was having to go by ambulance from his work. His work called, offered to send someone to sit with the kiddo's but I had to tell them I legally couldn't do that. We also had a freak snowstorm hit the same day and I couldn't even get parents here quickly to close. It was the longest day ever
Cat Herder 12:26 PM 01-28-2020
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Cat Herder-does your state not require any background checks, classes, or so many hours before children can be around the children? That would be such a huge write up for our state even in the event of an emergency it.
Not when it happened. All that was required was for me to be on the premises and I was (accident was in my driveway).

Now a copy of their COMPASS background check is required. Since all work/volunteer in fields that require them, that was not a problem for them to give me.
Unregistered 12:28 PM 01-28-2020
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

I had an emergency with my hubby one time and he was having to go by ambulance from his work. His work called, offered to send someone to sit with the kiddo's but I had to tell them I legally couldn't do that. We also had a freak snowstorm hit the same day and I couldn't even get parents here quickly to close. It was the longest day ever
My state requires background checks, training, cpr etc etc for "regular" substitutes but not
"emergency" substitutes. It's still a liability but given the choice id want to try to be with the one needing urgent care.

in an emergency, they only need meet basic requirements in B. and must call parents immediately for pick up (E3).

" General Substitute Information
A. The provider must have a plan for an urgent, emergency, personal or family situation that
requires the provider to leave the family child care home immediately.
B. Any substitute must be at least eighteen (18) years old and capable of providing care and
supervision of children, and handling emergencies in the absence of the provider.
C. Prior to caring for children, any substitute, except a substitute used in an urgent, emergency,
personal or family situation, shall become familiar with:
1. The Rules Regulating Family Child Care Homes;
2. The home and provider’s policies and procedures;
3. The names, ages and any special needs or health concerns of the children; and,
4. The location of emergency information.
D. Parents or guardians must be notified each time a substitute is used to provide supervision of all
children in care in the absence of the primary provider.
E. Substitutes used in an urgent, emergency, personal or family situation must:
1. Be given the names, ages of the children, and any special needs or health concerns;
2. Immediately call each parent(s) or guardian(s) to notify them that the provider has been
called away from the family child care home for a personal or family emergency; and,
3. If the substitute does not meet all the requirements for the position, must notify parent(s)
or guardian(s) immediately to pick up their children."
Cat Herder 01:16 PM 01-28-2020
Sorry, COGENT, not Compass. I have a young adult in college, COMPASS is one of those sites.
Country Kids 01:47 PM 01-28-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My state requires background checks, training, cpr etc etc for "regular" substitutes but not
"emergency" substitutes. It's still a liability but given the choice id want to try to be with the one needing urgent care.

in an emergency, they only need meet basic requirements in B. and must call parents immediately for pick up (E3).

" General Substitute Information
A. The provider must have a plan for an urgent, emergency, personal or family situation that
requires the provider to leave the family child care home immediately.
B. Any substitute must be at least eighteen (18) years old and capable of providing care and
supervision of children, and handling emergencies in the absence of the provider.
C. Prior to caring for children, any substitute, except a substitute used in an urgent, emergency,
personal or family situation, shall become familiar with:
1. The Rules Regulating Family Child Care Homes;
2. The home and provider’s policies and procedures;
3. The names, ages and any special needs or health concerns of the children; and,
4. The location of emergency information.
D. Parents or guardians must be notified each time a substitute is used to provide supervision of all
children in care in the absence of the primary provider.
E. Substitutes used in an urgent, emergency, personal or family situation must:
1. Be given the names, ages of the children, and any special needs or health concerns;
2. Immediately call each parent(s) or guardian(s) to notify them that the provider has been
called away from the family child care home for a personal or family emergency; and,
3. If the substitute does not meet all the requirements for the position, must notify parent(s)
or guardian(s) immediately to pick up their children."
We don't have anything regarding substitutes in emergency situations. So anyone covering us would have to have all the required areas to be with the children.
Tags:emergency phone numbers
Reply Up