Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle DCK Appointments?
Core12 04:08 PM 01-31-2018
Another reputable licensed home daycare in my area requires parents to give advanced notice for early pickup appointments. She also requires parents to pick up their child at 11:30 regardless of the appointment time (so if the appointment is at 3 pm,parents still must pick up by 11:30 am).
I really admire this woman’s policies and plan on implementing similar policies in the future.
What are your thoughts about set pick up times for appointments?
Also, if you request drop off at 7:30, and the children show up between 7:30-8:00 am...what do you do? Is it legal to just say, “ any child not here by 8 am, will not be served breakfast?”
Thanks!
Ariana 04:21 PM 01-31-2018
I cannot bar anyone from picking up their kid at any time! I do however have in my policies that I would prefer kids not be picked up or dropped off from 12-3pm during nap. I also tell them that if they will be dropping off or picking up outside of their regular time they must inform me as we may be away from the daycare or out in the yard when they arrive. I also note that it is best to schedule appointments around the daycare nap schedule or when the child will be at home.

I am not licensed and don’t serve breakfast but you have the right to not serve breakfast past a certain hour as far as I know.
hwichlaz 04:55 PM 01-31-2018
If children show up after breakfast service is over, they don’t get breakfast. This is a food program thing.
lovemykidstoo 05:24 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
If children show up after breakfast service is over, they don’t get breakfast. This is a food program thing.
Exactly. The food program gives you (or you work it out between you and your rep) what time meals are. After that, they're on their own.

As far as picking up for appts or whatever, I also highly encourage them to not pick up during naptime, but sometimes it can't be helped. I have an in-home daycare for 6, so if I know they're coming ahead of time, I just make sure that child is in a separate room sleeping so I don't wake the others. I guess I can feel for the parent a bit because I had my son in daycare for almost 3 years. I feel for the parent that cannot get out of work at a certain time like you said that person said to pick up by 11:30 regardless of appt time. That's a bit much in my opinion. A parent does not always have the luxury of leaving work at 11:30. Like Ariana said, we cannot legally keep a parent from picking up their child. I guess you could request it, but the parent could show up anyway and you'd have to turn over the child. If it was a huge issue you could term because it doesn't fit into what you want to do in your business. I almost feel like this person you're writing about, sometimes business owners get into a power trip type of thing with parents. I mean really if someone has a doctor appt or is leaving to go out of town and you know ahead of time, what is the problem with accomadating the parent? The only time I get irritated is when I lay down all of my munchkins and a parent bops in way early to pickup. I get irritated because if I'd known, I would have put that child in a different room.
ColorfulSunburst 06:01 PM 01-31-2018
I allow parents to pick up kids at any time they need. I just ask them to avoid to do it during nap time if it is possible.
If it is not possible they should text me when they are outside.
HappyEverAfter 06:36 PM 01-31-2018
I allow pick up at anytime but it’s in my handbook that parents should make every effort not to come at nap times when possible. I wouldn’t really have a reason outside of naps why they would have to be picked up by a certain time regardless of their appointment time so that 11:30 rule wouldn’t be something I’d add.
As for breakfast, I do have a rule that if they aren’t here by 8:15 that they’ll not be given breakfast. If I didn’t do this, because mine arrive at all different times, I’d be fixing breakfast several times each morning and my whole group would have to come sit in the kitchen while one late arriving child sat and ate breakfast. I do offer a morning snack later though so if you miss breakfast, you can still eat a snack later.
AmyKidsCo 07:49 PM 01-31-2018
I allow pick ups whenever. My parents know that naptime isn't a great time so they're always really fast and quiet if they have to come during naps.
CityGarden 08:19 PM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I allow pick ups whenever. My parents know that naptime isn't a great time so they're always really fast and quiet if they have to come during naps.
My experience so far has been similar to AmyKidsCo's experience.
Josiegirl 03:53 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
My experience so far has been similar to AmyKidsCo's experience.
Same here and I haven't had much of a problem. If I did then I would definitely request they pick up before naptime so as not to disturb everyone. Obviously some parents haven't had to deal with the challenge of 5 or more extremely cranky tired kiddos for half a day.
Cat Herder 05:07 AM 02-01-2018
No pickups during nap except for pre scheduled doctor appointments. Notification in advance. I change them into clean clothes, bathe if necessary and do hair/nails. Well checks start at 1pm, here. Satellite offices .

I will do conferences during nap for those who can't come after closing or before opening, when requested. They bring starbucks as a convenience fee typically.

As far as meals go it depends on the parent. If it is someone who is usually dependable, obviously stressed, I will simply handle it. If it is someone who could benefit from a no, I send them to go get breakfast and return by morning arrival cutoff. I still enforce morning cut-off either way. I prefer to handle it because I prefer less adult interaction in the early mornings.
Lovisa 05:58 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I allow parents to pick up kids at any time they need. I just ask them to avoid to do it during nap time if it is possible.
I do this, exactly
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 02-01-2018
I am required to allow a parent access to their child any time they wish. My parents are all considerate of nap time however and rarely if ever schedule a pick up during nap.

Thank goodness because my state just implemented a new rule saying we can not include directives about not picking up during rest time in any of our handbooks/policies.
Cat Herder 06:19 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Thank goodness because my state just implemented a new rule saying we can not include directives about not picking up during rest time in any of our handbooks/policies.
Ridiculous over reach. Sorry you have to deal with that.
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 02-01-2018
I also forgot to add that once a child is picked up for an appointment I do not allow them to return.

One pick up and one drop off per child per day.
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Ridiculous over reach. Sorry you have to deal with that.
The only saving grace is that they can't technically stop us from saying it (although we can't out it in print) and we can certainly terminate a family that is habitual about it.

But yes...total over reach! But then again, I am not surprised as I've been told repeated over the last year ANY time I complain about late payments (from agencies in regards to payment from QRIS grants) that I should try not to get upset when payment is late because "we are doing this FOR the children".

Translated: "We don't care if we send your payment out late. We don't care if parents don't put their children first because it is your job to make up for it and to sacrifice everything (including my own financial obligations) for other people's children."
lovemykidstoo 06:38 AM 02-01-2018
The only saving grace is that they can't technically stop us from saying it (although we can't out it in print) and we can certainly terminate a family that is habitual about it.

But yes...total over reach! But then again, I am not surprised as I've been told repeated over the last year ANY time I complain about late payments (from agencies in regards to payment from QRIS grants) that I should try not to get upset when payment is late because "we are doing this FOR the children".

Translated: "We don't care if we send your payment out late. We don't care if parents don't put their children first because it is your job to make up for it and to sacrifice everything (including my own financial obligations) for other people's children."
That's such crap. Because you don't have expenses. Gotta love the gov't.

About the verbage on picking up during naptime from the state, they probably had 1 out of a million daycare providers that refused to let a child be released and now they have to spell it out. (rolling eyes)
mommyneedsadayoff 06:46 AM 02-01-2018
I tell them that if they have an appointment scheduled for the afternoon, they need to pick up the child before naptime which starts at 12 and like BC, only one pick up/drop off per day, so they cannot return. I expect them to come before 9 a.m. and to be consistent in their drop off time for the reasons CatHerder said. I don't "do" adults well in the morning!

They don't get breakfast if they're not here by 8:30, but if it's an unusual circumstance, I will give the child something to eat. If they notify me in advance, they can come later than 9, but I expect the child to be on our schedule (fed, ready to play, ready for nap at usual time).

You can't deny a parent their child if they come early to pick up, but you can definitely make policies that enforce respect for the group, but also allow for individual needs and circumstance.
LostMyMarbles 06:52 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:

Same here. In my state we have to have open door policy. I strongly encourage 12-3 to be avoided. If they need to go at that time, I sneak the child out.

The parent agree with the quiet time, as they so NOT want a crabby kid for the evening. We had a party, inviting the moms. They gave all become friends. They respect rest time.
Cat Herder 07:42 AM 02-01-2018
They curl it out right there in the punch bowl don't they. Godwin's Law of Childcare.

Ironic that we don't want to wake the sleeping children. It is for the children. Not the adults.
Attached: colbert (160 x 154).jpg (10.4 KB) 
daycarediva 09:29 AM 02-01-2018

Yup. MY CHILDREN. Which my JOB supports.

In any other field it would be ludicrous to (attempt to) make you feel guilty for expecting payment as agreed upon.
LaLa1923 04:51 PM 02-15-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
Another reputable licensed home daycare in my area requires parents to give advanced notice for early pickup appointments. She also requires parents to pick up their child at 11:30 regardless of the appointment time (so if the appointment is at 3 pm,parents still must pick up by 11:30 am).
I really admire this woman’s policies and plan on implementing similar policies in the future.
What are your thoughts about set pick up times for appointments?
Also, if you request drop off at 7:30, and the children show up between 7:30-8:00 am...what do you do? Is it legal to just say, “ any child not here by 8 am, will not be served breakfast?”
Thanks!

For doctors appointments I require 48 hours notice. Where I am they have months notice unless it’s last minute (which is rare). I do not limit when they can pick up. However, I do request they pick up by 11:30 for appointments or after 2:30. I also only allow one drop off and one pick up per day. If they have an early AM appointment I do allow drop off until 10:30 am, but that’s only with notice! Without notice they need to drop off by 9am!!
Tags:provider children - sick policy
Reply Up