Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Ear Peircing Screams Be Stopped ... And What To Do?
Holiday Park 07:08 AM 01-23-2013
Decided to delete everything and make this simpler by just asking:

Would you continue care with a 16month old that has a bad gabit of screaming really loud? Its happy screams but so constant its rediculous !! I love everything else about him&his parents/the schedule etc... But it really steikes a nerve BAD, with me. And Im concerned it will start to affect the schedule I have the 10month dcb on with his naps sice he is still on two naps and not 1. Can this be something his parents &I can work on to fix? I sort of dont want to give up. Ive only had him 3 weeks. Also he doesn't take too well to discipline.
cheerfuldom 10:04 AM 01-23-2013
I know what you are talking about and I have never figured out a way to deal with the random squeals. if you cant deal with it and wait it out, you just have to let him go. the few kids I know who did this did it anywhere from a few months to a few years so its really up in the air as far as when he will grow out of it and be able to learn other ways to show excitement.
My3cents 11:05 AM 01-23-2013
try giving the child a mirror. It will help him see what he looks like when he does this and he will find entertainment in a different area then screaming. It is worth a try- A firm No might help too. or an ouch your hurting my ears, then redirect him with something else.
Michael 01:57 PM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
try giving the child a mirror. It will help him see what he looks like when he does this and he will find entertainment in a different area then screaming. It is worth a try- A firm No might help too. or an ouch your hurting my ears, then redirect him with something else.
This sounds interesting. Would like to know if it works.
melilley 03:45 PM 01-23-2013
I had a 13 month old that would walk around and let out short screams, Ib think she thought it was funny, but it was NOT, I couldn't stand it! She thankfully outgrew it, but it took like 2 loooong months.
wdmmom 08:45 PM 01-23-2013
I had a child like this. Still have her, only she's a much different kid than she used to be.

3 months old when she started. She wasn't a crier, she was a full fledged, seasoned screamer. I started to figure out after eating, she'd scream the most so since I knew it was coming, I figured we'd make that tummy time since she screamed for that too.

She had the nursery to herself at nap time just so she couldn't bother the other nappers.

After realizing that screaming didn't net her anything, gradually she stopped. Only I had to get the parents on board too. Screaming netted her the playard or bed here and at home. It didn't net food or being held or a diaper change or any type of attention. It netted her "me" time. She got to be shunned and be by herself! It took her awhile to figure it out but she's the biggest sweetheart now!
My3cents 04:23 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
This sounds interesting. Would like to know if it works.
Depends on the child. It has worked for me. It is redirecting the behavior towards something else.

Another good one is having no emotion to this behavior and letting the child know it gets them nothing from you. You scream you go to the calm down area every time.

It is one of those phases you just want to run out of fast
Holiday Park 05:06 AM 01-24-2013
His trial period is over. I was given notice at the end of the two week trial period and then the night before yesterday she said she still needed me after all. Since Friday I had another family give notice, I had already sarted thinking how nice it would be to just not take on, anyone new for a while OR on Mondays any more. So I let her know this and said I would do one more week (next week) . This week was supposed to be his last . Well turns out this is the week I started becoming aure maybe he wouldn't be a good fit because of some other reasons too. (Too busy/destructive behavior like trying to pull off all my blinds, pick at rug, too grabby with my son&the other baby trying to knock them down with constant hugging, taking away toys or hitting&fave picnching. Etc.. ) It would be too much constant re-direction and my son and the other baby would be legt out attention wise, not to mention I would have hardly any time to nurse my son enough.
The screaching is too quick to do anything about in enough time to help him see what hes doing or that it shouldn't be done. But its often enough that Im too concerned about it being a huge disruption to the other child's napping . I don't want to wait around trying to fixing pre-existing behaviors only to end up terminating care. So next week will be the last week ,unless she wants two weeks and I should give her two weeks to find some one else.
cheerfuldom 05:51 AM 01-24-2013
yeah with all those other behaviors, i would let him go to. its obviously gone beyond a kid just making noise.
Tags:screamer
Reply Up