Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Craigslist Ad
JoseyJo 12:23 PM 10-11-2013
Getting ready to post an ad of my own and ran across this.

http://topeka.craigslist.org/kid/4057810828.html

Some of my thoughts:

Pictures from 2012 saying Opening Soon, why not take new ones?

Backyard play area does not have proper ground cover (must have at least healthy grass here, if the grass gets thin you must put down wood chips, pea gravel or sand)

What is the point of pictures 5 and 8?

Are those FLY STRIPS in pic 9???

This daycare is charging at least $25 more than average for our area- usually a home daycare like this would charge $80-$100.
craftymissbeth 12:27 PM 10-11-2013
Ew on the fly strips!

Not sure about your licensor but mine doesn't require ground cover for those types of outdoor toys.
JoseyJo 12:38 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Ew on the fly strips!

Not sure about your licensor but mine doesn't require ground cover for those types of outdoor toys.
No, we don't have to have ground cover, but we do have to have at least healthy grass- Looking at it again none of toys are over the gravel in the pic
nanglgrl 01:06 PM 10-11-2013
This doesn't seem as bad as a lot of the ones I've seen. It's actually not bad...but if that is a fly strip it's right above the baby swing which is next to the garbage!
momofsix 01:08 PM 10-11-2013
I'm surprised by the adult sized folding chairs! The way the little girl is sitting in it is not the proper way to sit and those things fold up on kids all the time
Also the trash can right next to the baby swing? Yuck!
JoseyJo 03:42 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
This doesn't seem as bad as a lot of the ones I've seen. It's actually not bad...
I must be spoiled with the daycares around here! This seems bad to me on so many levels- house is so small for a group daycare (up to 12 children), all the adult furniture, lack of toys except in one small area, bunch of toys outside in a corner, not one but 2 TVs (one maybe for the game system?)...
cheerfuldom 05:30 PM 10-11-2013
Its not as bad as a few ads I have seen but I am definitely not impressed. It does not look first class, homey, or even child proof for that matter.
blandino 06:00 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Its not as bad as a few ads I have seen but I am definitely not impressed. It does not look first class, homey, or even child proof for that matter.
I think that's my most prominent thought. Most people who include pictures on CL are posting pictures of things they are proud of and highlight their program. To me, those pictures aren't bad, but they definitely aren't things that shine about the program to me. And if they are, then I would be concerned about the daycare, honestly.
SilverSabre25 07:44 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I think that's my most prominent thought. Most people who include pictures on CL are posting pictures of things they are proud of and highlight their program. To me, those pictures aren't bad, but they definitely aren't things that shine about the program to me. And if they are, then I would be concerned about the daycare, honestly.
Yes this was my thought too. The furnishings look sparse and cheap, and not sturdy. all those lightweight plastic shelfy things...ick. Those are okay for some things, and in some places, but not exclusively!
Unregistered 08:49 PM 10-11-2013
CL ad:

Opening a new daycare right up the street from ****** elementary school. I can take 6-10 kids. I dont have my license due to the fact that I live in a duplex but I have 6 years of Nanny experience. I am able to give references if wanted. My rates are 80 a child per week however if you have multiple children I will work with you

In my state unregistered providers can care for only 5 children. She states in another ad she has 3 children. 1 is in school (does not count towards numbers). So frustrating!
Unregistered 09:53 PM 10-11-2013
I think they are doing the best they can with what they have
If they take good care of the kids, what difference does it make?
Although my daycare is extremely nice now, I started out with the bare essentials too
JoseyJo 10:29 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Thank you! This is what I was thinking and couldn't get it into words

Yes- An ad should highlight the best parts of your daycare, so if this is it what is the daycare really like?

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think they are doing the best they can with what they have
If they take good care of the kids, what difference does it make?
Although my daycare is extremely nice now, I started out with the bare essentials too
Yes, we all make due with what we have but these people are advertising that they have done daycare for 13 years! Is this the best they can come up with taking care of 12 children?
nanglgrl 10:30 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
I must be spoiled with the daycares around here! This seems bad to me on so many levels- house is so small for a group daycare (up to 12 children), all the adult furniture, lack of toys except in one small area, bunch of toys outside in a corner, not one but 2 TVs (one maybe for the game system?)...
We have a lot of nice daycare homes in our area but many more that look similiar to our worse than this. You wouldn't believe the things Ive seen or some of the provides I've come across. I once sat in a training next to a licensed provider who talked to herself!
Unregistered 02:27 PM 10-23-2013
I just came across an ad on Craigslist. The only picture she had was the kids sitting around the table eating TV dinners. She said she is on the food program and that she is licensed. Our state would have a hissy fit if they knew that.
melilley 04:00 PM 10-23-2013
I don't see a pic with fly strips or a swing or a garbage in it.
I agree with pp's though. It does not look homey at all!
Unregistered 04:54 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I don't see a pic with fly strips or a swing or a garbage in it.
I agree with pp's though. It does not look homey at all!
the ad looks different now,
i think they changed it
melilley 05:00 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
the ad looks different now,
i think they changed it
Maybe they come to this forum.....
JoseyJo 06:46 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Maybe they come to this forum.....
Maybe they do... good! I hope they learn as much as I have from you guys
Holiday Park 08:53 AM 10-24-2013
The metal shed in the yard , is a big no no and safety hazard,not to mention the tent. Also, those big adult sized folding chairs can and will hurt a toddler . Thry pinch fingers, colaps on the child,and will fall on the child too !
Tags:craigs list
Reply Up