Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anybody Hold CDA Credentials?
NoellesMama 04:18 PM 10-02-2014
Hello everyone.

I am curious about CDA and its benefits. Right now I currently hold the 90 clock hour preschool & 45 infant/toddler credentials in Maryland. Was it hard to obtain? What are the benefits of CDA vs state credentials?
choirlady76 05:44 PM 10-02-2014
I have my A.S in early childhood education. The CDA is still widely accepted and often a "atleast requirement" for many centers'. However, lead teacher positions are leaning more and more toward the associates requirement and some the bachelors. I'd highly recommend getting it atleast but also encourage you or anyone to eventually pursue the Associates. I have found many more openings and many more offers with my AS than without it. Just my advice
LysesKids 05:53 PM 10-02-2014
I went for my Infant/Toddler Montessori degree thru an International school... since I specialize in under 24 months it made sense, considering how I run my home. I home schooled my kids too when they were younger... I don't do your typical government schooling well. I look at it as one size does not fit all
Annalee 06:14 PM 10-02-2014
Originally Posted by choirlady76:
I have my A.S in early childhood education. The CDA is still widely accepted and often a "atleast requirement" for many centers'. However, lead teacher positions are leaning more and more toward the associates requirement and some the bachelors. I'd highly recommend getting it atleast but also encourage you or anyone to eventually pursue the Associates. I have found many more openings and many more offers with my AS than without it. Just my advice
I have a CDA and my Associate's as well. I do see the CDA becoming a requirement...not sure if the Associate's ever will, though...On our stars report card, the only way to have a chance at the highest star in the Professional Development component on the report card is to have a current CDA..this is in addition to extra training hours on top of the required hours from licensing.....I feel these guidelines will gradually become mandated as well instead of giving providers a choice.
originalkat 06:21 AM 10-03-2014
I got my CDA in 2005. I then went on to complete my AA with and emphasis in Early Childhood. This December I am FINALLY finishing my BA in Child Development and Human Services. It has been a lifelong goal to finish my degree so I am very proud to have finally finished.

I think getting your CDA would be a great credential to share with parents! It has been awhile and I think there are always hoops to jump through whenever you are trying to get a certification, but it wasn't too hard. Go for it!
Cat Herder 06:44 AM 10-03-2014
I did the CDA but it expires, has to be $$maintained$$ and does not transfer to college credit (unless you roll it into a TCC). I went to the TCC as it holds the same benefits but does not expire, pay once and you are done.

"The Early Childhood Education Technical Certificate prepares students for employment in the field of child care and early education. Students are required to complete 24 semester hours in early childhood education. All courses in the technical certificate count toward an A.A.S. or A.S. degree should students choose to continue their education. Students who have completed the TECTA courses for CDA preparation will have only need to complete 12 additional hours to receive the certificate."
jenboo 06:52 AM 10-03-2014
What is a CDA??
Cat Herder 07:18 AM 10-03-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
What is a CDA??
I copy and pasted directly from the CDA site. :

About the Council for Professional Recognition

Mission of the Council
The Council for Professional Recognition promotes improved performance and recognition of professionals in the early childhood education of children aged birth to 5 years old.

Vision of the Council
The Council works to ensure that all professional early childhood educators and caregivers meet the developmental, emotional, and educational needs of our nation’s youngest children.

The Child Development Associate® (CDA) Credential
In keeping with its goal to meet the growing need for qualified early child care and education staff, the Council administers the Child Development Associate® (CDA) National Credentialing Program. The CDA Program is designed to assess and credential early childhood education professionals.
The Council recognizes and credentials professionals who work in all types of early care and education programs - Head Start, pre-k, infant-toddler, family child care, and home visitor programs.

The Council sets policies and procedures for assessment and credentialing, publishes the Competency Standards and other materials used for CDA credentialing, and administers the assessment.

History of the CDA Credential
In the early 1970s, a group of innovative early childhood educators gathered together to think about how to improve the quality of early care and education. The concept for the CDA Credential was born out of those meetings and was initially funded by what was then called the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Administration on Children, Youth, and Families (ACYF). After several years of development, the first CDA was awarded in 1975.

In 1985, ACYF entered into a cooperative agreement with the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) for the purpose of creating a separate nonprofit organization to administer the CDA Credential. That organization, the Council for Professional Recognition, began administering the CDA on September 1, 1985.
Over 300,000 CDA credentials have been awarded to date, with approximately 18,000 early childhood professionals becoming new CDAs annually.
jenboo 12:54 PM 10-03-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I copy and pasted directly from the CDA site. :

About the Council for Professional Recognition

Mission of the Council
The Council for Professional Recognition promotes improved performance and recognition of professionals in the early childhood education of children aged birth to 5 years old.

Vision of the Council
The Council works to ensure that all professional early childhood educators and caregivers meet the developmental, emotional, and educational needs of our nation’s youngest children.

The Child Development Associate® (CDA) Credential
In keeping with its goal to meet the growing need for qualified early child care and education staff, the Council administers the Child Development Associate® (CDA) National Credentialing Program. The CDA Program is designed to assess and credential early childhood education professionals.
The Council recognizes and credentials professionals who work in all types of early care and education programs - Head Start, pre-k, infant-toddler, family child care, and home visitor programs.

The Council sets policies and procedures for assessment and credentialing, publishes the Competency Standards and other materials used for CDA credentialing, and administers the assessment.

History of the CDA Credential
In the early 1970s, a group of innovative early childhood educators gathered together to think about how to improve the quality of early care and education. The concept for the CDA Credential was born out of those meetings and was initially funded by what was then called the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Administration on Children, Youth, and Families (ACYF). After several years of development, the first CDA was awarded in 1975.

In 1985, ACYF entered into a cooperative agreement with the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) for the purpose of creating a separate nonprofit organization to administer the CDA Credential. That organization, the Council for Professional Recognition, began administering the CDA on September 1, 1985.
Over 300,000 CDA credentials have been awarded to date, with approximately 18,000 early childhood professionals becoming new CDAs annually.
Is this in addition to a degree or in place of??
originalkat 01:17 PM 10-03-2014
Is this in addition to a degree or in place of??
You can get a CDA without a degree.
KiddieCahoots 01:32 PM 10-03-2014
I have my CDA and consider it my stepping stone to carry onto getting my Associates.
Loved my instructor! And learned a ton, both from the instructor and the ladies that I took the class with.
Actually getting ready to renew it now.
jenboo 05:00 PM 10-03-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:
You can get a CDA without a degree.
So if I have a bachelors degree in child and family development do I not need a CDA??
We are moving this summer and Im going to have to get a job outside of the house until we get a house and a lot is ads mention CDAs. I'm wondering if I need to get one.
melilley 06:51 PM 10-03-2014
I have my Associate's degree. I had my CDA also, because, all of the classes that I took to get my Associate's degree applied to get a CDA (with the exception of the interview) so I went ahead and got it. However, when it came time to renew it, I didn't do so because here, an Associate's degree is higher than a CDA and at the time I worked in a center (when I received my CDA) and the CDA for a center is different from a home based CDA so there was no need to renew or go for a home based one.

Here in order to be a lead teacher in a setting, you have to have either an Associate's degree or CDA and for our Stars program, you can have a CDA, Associate's, or Bachelor's to get points, and you get more points, the better your degree is.
melilley 06:54 PM 10-03-2014
So if I have a bachelors degree in child and family development do I not need a CDA??
We are moving this summer and Im going to have to get a job outside of the house until we get a house and a lot is ads mention CDAs. I'm wondering if I need to get one.
Here if we have an Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree, we do not need a CDA. The CDA is like Kiddie said, a stepping stone if you don't want to get an Associate's or Bachelor's degree right away and here in MI, most of the CDA classes count towards an Associate's degree.
NoellesMama 07:31 AM 10-04-2014
I work at a center and our new director wants everyone to become lead teacher qualified and for existing leads to get their CDA. Im actually going to school for a bachelors in biotechnology but Child care is a back up trade that I have a gift for, thank you! Hopefully our owner will pay for it
KiddieCahoots 08:55 AM 10-04-2014
Originally Posted by NoellesMama:
I work at a center and our new director wants everyone to become lead teacher qualified and for existing leads to get their CDA. Im actually going to school for a bachelors in biotechnology but Child care is a back up trade that I have a gift for, thank you! Hopefully our owner will pay for it
Oh yay! Thanks for reminding me NoellesMama!
If your with a family resource, sometimes they will contribute to the cost.
Mine did!
jenboo 06:42 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Here if we have an Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree, we do not need a CDA. The CDA is like Kiddie said, a stepping stone if you don't want to get an Associate's or Bachelor's degree right away and here in MI, most of the CDA classes count towards an Associate's degree.
OK great. Thanks for explaining this to me!
originalkat 06:09 AM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I agree.
Lperry2124 05:59 PM 07-02-2015
You can apply for the Teach scholarship and it will help you with obtaining your cda
Tags:cda, cda credential
Reply Up