Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Buses for Daycare Use?
queenbee 12:58 PM 02-16-2012
I currently use one of our local school bus companies for transportation for our twice weekly field trips/activities. They offer us a really good deal with cost and all of my children love riding the school bus. (One 2.5yo girl of mine is absolutely infatuated and NEVER misses a day we are going on a field trip or activity).

I was approached today by the owner of the company and they asked me if I would be interested in buying a school bus. It's a Mini-Bus and fits 21 passengers. There are seat belts installed, the milage is great and the price is even better. I'm going down to see the bus this weekend to take a look at the condition of it. The owner is selling it because it doesn't get as much use as their full-sized buses.

Has anyone ever considered buying a bus for their home daycare? I've been searching for a used 15 or 18 passenger van the last couple of months with no luck at all.
DCMom 01:03 PM 02-16-2012
Yes, then my dh says NO! The liability of it is his biggest reason and I have to agree.

When you figure out the cost of renting each time you need it vs the cost of owning and insuring, you will probably find that renting is a better value. That and I don't have to look at it in my driveway everyday, lol!
Country Kids 01:05 PM 02-16-2012
OH, I would love something like that! It would be so nice to have when the SA are at home and we could all actually go somewhere! Epecially if there are seat belts and everything.

I'm not going to be envious, I'm not going to be envious.
icaredaycare 01:05 PM 02-16-2012
does the bus run on diesel? what year is it?, and does it have proper maintenance paperwork? only reason why i'm asking is that school bus repairs might cost more than a 15 passenger dodge van. so, in the long run, it might cost you more. Also, what's the insurance on a school bus? do you just call a geico to insure it? It sounds like an awesome opportunity, but I also would do some research to see what you're getting urself into.
Blackcat31 01:08 PM 02-16-2012
2 of the daycare facilities in my area use old school buses (the smaller ones) for their child care. It is a cute idea and the transportation option for some parents is ideal.
queenbee 01:17 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Yes, then my dh says NO! The liability of it is his biggest reason and I have to agree.

When you figure out the cost of renting each time you need it vs the cost of owning and insuring, you will probably find that renting is a better value. That and I don't have to look at it in my driveway everyday, lol!
I actually don't mind the sight of a school bus sitting in my driveway. I have one sitting on my curb two times a week and it's become normal to see a school bus when I walk out the front door.

icaredaycare - I am absolutely doing my research. My kids are napping for another hour so I'm calling insurance companies for quotes and the owner of the bus is sending pictures of the seatbelts so I can be sure they are shoulder and lap belts and not just lap belts. This would be a big investment for me and I am inquiring about the cost of repairs, too.
icaredaycare 01:22 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
I actually don't mind the sight of a school bus sitting in my driveway. I have one sitting on my curb two times a week and it's become normal to see a school bus when I walk out the front door.

icaredaycare - I am absolutely doing my research. My kids are napping for another hour so I'm calling insurance companies for quotes and the owner of the bus is sending pictures of the seatbelts so I can be sure they are shoulder and lap belts and not just lap belts. This would be a big investment for me and I am inquiring about the cost of repairs, too.
please keep us posted. would love to know some info about buying a bus. around here, not many people do, only because we don't have drive ways...it's all street parking in the city. but it would be fun to piss off my neighbors with a bus taking up 3 car spaces in the street. lol j/k of course.
queenbee 01:30 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by icaredaycare:
please keep us posted. would love to know some info about buying a bus. around here, not many people do, only because we don't have drive ways...it's all street parking in the city. but it would be fun to piss off my neighbors with a bus taking up 3 car spaces in the street. lol j/k of course.

I'll keep you posted. I moved into my current neighborhood over 5 years ago and it's full of older, retired couples. They love any interaction they can get with the kids and the school bus doesn't bother anyone. My neighbors from my old house...... it's a very good thing I didn't do daycare from that house.
itlw8 01:59 PM 02-16-2012
you will need to upgrade your drivers license and get commercial car ins
AnythingsPossible 05:26 AM 02-17-2012
I would definately look into the cost of insurance and what it would take to get your endorsement on your drivers license.

Cost wise, it may be better to just continue to let the bus company take you. That way your attention is still on the children's needs while you are traveling rather then trying to drive and handle anything that may come up with them.

I personally wouldn't want the liability, but I don't even like transporting in my own vehicle.
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
you will need to upgrade your drivers license and get commercial car ins
In my state you can drive a small bus with a regular driver's license and you ar enot required to have commerical insurance unless you are picking up riders or passengers for money or fares. If it is a privately owned bus, then all that is required is the higher liability insurance. I suppose it is called commercial insurance in some states but I guess my agent never refers to it that way. Interesting idea though about the bus. If I had a chance to do it, I would. I don't transport kids now and I am not sure I wold but the bus seems like a great idea for those that do!

The daycares that use little mini buses here have their buses all painted up with their daycare logos and are super cute. If I can get a picture of one over the weekend, I will post it. I think it is a great way to advertise!
Tags:bus, school bus
Reply Up