Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Milk
My3cents 02:58 PM 08-02-2012
How much milk should a 2 year old be consuming a day?

I expect lots of feedback on this and difference of opinions. Curious what everyone thinks.
justgettingstarted 03:02 PM 08-02-2012
I don't know how much they "should" drink but DS drinks two 8-ounce cups a day (2%). One at breakfast or lunch and another after dinner with his fluoride drop. He loves milk and would happily drink more but it starts to make him constipated so I limit it to two.
Country Kids 03:09 PM 08-02-2012
Something I googled for two year olds:

Your child's diet should now resemble that of the rest of the families, with 3 meals and 2 snacks each day. You should limit milk and dairy products to about 16 to 24oz each day, and juice to 4 to 6oz each day, and offer a variety of foods to encourage good eating habits later.
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 08-02-2012
According to the food program, a 2 year old is required to have a 1/2 cup of milk for each meal and each snack.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner and two snacks the total daily intake would be 2.5 cups
AnneCordelia 04:03 PM 08-02-2012
Health Canada and the Canada Food Guide says 16oz of milk a day for that age group. I provide half of that at daycare with lunch. I am clear with parents that the other 8oz need to be fed at home with breakfast or dinner.
jojosmommy 06:10 PM 08-02-2012
I dont know ounces per day but I do know that too much milk can sleeping issues. Something about the body having trouble processing lactase/lactose while at rest. My son in particular is so restless if he has too much dairy for too many days.
queenbee 06:22 PM 08-02-2012
No milk here! I'm vegetarian so I don't offer any cow milk to my daycare kids.

We use soy milk, almond milk or, their favorite, coconut milk.

It's a good thing, too. I have twins who get 9oz cups of milk in the car to daycare, and on the way back home from daycare. If they received milk here that would put them over the recommended amounts.
Willow 07:31 PM 08-02-2012
Kiddos in my care at age two eat/drink just as every other child does, 1% milk is offered during breakfast and lunch per my food program's requirement. Depending on what I do for snack I'll occasionally offer milk at snacks, but usually it's water or 100% fruit juice of some kind.

queenbee - purely out of curiosity, how do you work being vegetarian offering no milk and I'm assuming(?) no meat on a food program? Or do you just not participate in one?
Crazy8 07:33 PM 08-02-2012
I don't think you'll get a whole lot of differences on this one.... the recommended intake for 2-3 years old is 2 cups a day (16oz.). I think they say up to 3 cups a day (16-24 oz.) for 1-2 year olds. That would include things like yogurt too.

Now, daily intake of liquids is more (I think I remember reading 44 oz. but don't quote me on that) so they should be getting plenty of water too.

I don't provide milk here - partially because it really just got too darn expensive. Since my family doesn't drink whole milk I allow under 2's to bring it with their lunch. Over 2's can get their requirements at home.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
Kiddos in my care at age two eat/drink just as every other child does, 1% milk is offered during breakfast and lunch per my food program's requirement. Depending on what I do for snack I'll occasionally offer milk at snacks, but usually it's water or 100% fruit juice of some kind.

queenbee - purely out of curiosity, how do you work being vegetarian offering no milk and I'm assuming(?) no meat on a food program? Or do you just not participate in one?
There are many alternatives to meat so that one wouldn't be tough to do on the food program.

The milk is where I see the food prgram having issues, but I currently have 6 kids who have special diet statements saying no milk and to substitute soy, almond or coconut milk instead which also satisfies the food program.

I haven't made a compete change, but I am HEAVILY leaning towards going semi-vegetarian....(LOL!...is that even a term?) and reducing the amount of meat served and opting towards some of the alternatives instead as well as eliminating dairy but haven't worked out the kinks just yet.
jojosmommy 10:38 AM 08-03-2012
My FP allows soy without a diet statement. Only certain reputable brands.
queenbee 03:06 PM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:

I don't participate in a food program. I don't follow rules well

I really had a heck of a hard time getting someone to consider a vegetarian menu year-round. Apparently it's "frowned upon" to not serve cow milk. And no meat?!? Even worse

You should see my kids suck down almond and coconut milk - it's pretty amazing

Blackcat - How awesome! I won't preach about vegetarians and the lifestyle (), but the alternatives to meat are actually really good. The only "fake" meat my kids won't touch is "turkey". Ever want to see 10-12 kids gag at the same time? Give then fake "turkey"

Oh! Soy and almond yogurt are pretty great, too. My kids never really notice any differences in the way they eat at daycare to the way they eat at home.
daycarediva 06:16 PM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:

I really had a heck of a hard time getting someone to consider a vegetarian menu year-round. Apparently it's "frowned upon" to not serve cow milk. And no meat?!? Even worse

You should see my kids suck down almond and coconut milk - it's pretty amazing

Blackcat - How awesome! I won't preach about vegetarians and the lifestyle (), but the alternatives to meat are actually really good. The only "fake" meat my kids won't touch is "turkey". Ever want to see 10-12 kids gag at the same time? Give then fake "turkey"

Oh! Soy and almond yogurt are pretty great, too. My kids never really notice any differences in the way they eat at daycare to the way they eat at home.
are you vegan, or vegetarian? My husband is vegetarian and drinks cows milk. Vegans (I have a friend who is) don't eat animals or their by-products. I can't stand soy or almond milk, but coconut is delicious! It isn't listed on the food program acceptable food list though.

I am on the food program and make vegetarian menus as well as meat menus, meat or meat alternate (no tofu though since that isn't nationally standardized for protein)
queenbee 06:59 PM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
are you vegan, or vegetarian? My husband is vegetarian and drinks cows milk. Vegans (I have a friend who is) don't eat animals or their by-products. I can't stand soy or almond milk, but coconut is delicious! It isn't listed on the food program acceptable food list though.

I am on the food program and make vegetarian menus as well as meat menus, meat or meat alternate (no tofu though since that isn't nationally standardized for protein)
I advertise as a vegetarian daycare. I do add more vegan-components than I used to when I first started my vegetarian daycare - mainly dairy. I've never offered cow milk to any child - there are no health benefits in it for children nor adults and I'm a licensed nutritionist. I think this is what allows my daycare parents to feel secure in joining in on a vegetarian lifestyle for their children while they are in my care - I actually do know what I'm talking about and have had training.

Most vegetarians do consume dairy (like your husband). Vegans are no animal products or by-products and this often includes clothing, shoes and other products (no leather shoes, no wool or fur, ect.). I'm almost a vegan I just can't seem to give up cheese - it's my weakness
Meyou 04:08 AM 08-04-2012
I give my DCK's one serving of dairy per day (yogurt or cheese) and they drink almond or soy milk. I'm a vegetarian friendly daycare. Although I do serve some meat (1-2 days per week right now) I substitute for vegetarians and have mostly non-meat options.

I would LOVE to get off the dairy altogether but parting my kids from yogurt and cheese is not going well. lol I make my own yogurt now so at least that is as healthy as it can be.
My3cents 11:59 AM 08-06-2012
Thank you for all the replies.
Unregistered 04:40 PM 08-06-2012
I serve fluid milk (no flavors) with every meal. I tend to serve waters at snacks (unless if I consider it a "light" snack) especially during the summer.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:07 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by queenbee:
This gave me a good laugh. I did the food program for two years, then quit for exactly this reason. :-) (Their rules are dumb, in my opinion, and those are the ones I can't follow! I believe my meals are healthier than what they're suggesting.)
Tags:milk
Reply Up