Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New home daycare provider questions
organicdclady 10:15 AM 08-06-2014
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum but have come across postings here and there over the last few months while researching home daycares. I am in LA county in CA, looking to open a hdc within the next few months, and have some specific questions that I can not seem to find answers to on ccld's website or anywhere on daycare.com. If someone out there who knows the laws in CA could give me some guidance I would greatly appreciate it.
I have read conflicting reports on most of my questions after some extensive research.
1. What are the education/certification requirements for the home daycare provider?
2. I will be renting, do I have to notify my landlord before I open the dc?
3. Do I have to use a separate bathroom than the children? My second bathroom is upstairs..how would that work?
These are just some otw questions that I can't seem to find concrete answers to no matter where I look! Depending on the answers, I may not be able to continue in the process of opening. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
Rai
Controlled Chaos 10:33 AM 08-06-2014
http://www.ccld.ca.gov/pg411.htm

Try this site.

Good luck!
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Raishelle:
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum but have come across postings here and there over the last few months while researching home daycares. I am in LA county in CA, looking to open a hdc within the next few months, and have some specific questions that I can not seem to find answers to on ccld's website or anywhere on daycare.com. If someone out there who knows the laws in CA could give me some guidance I would greatly appreciate it.
I have read conflicting reports on most of my questions after some extensive research.
1. What are the education/certification requirements for the home daycare provider?
3. Do I have to use a separate bathroom than the children? My second bathroom is upstairs..how would that work?
These are just some otw questions that I can't seem to find concrete answers to no matter where I look! Depending on the answers, I may not be able to continue in the process of opening. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
Rai
Welcome to the forum!

Glad you could join us!
earlystart 04:55 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Raishelle:
Thank you!
Rai
I'm in CA (San Diego) and renting, and can answer lots of questions:
1. If you are getting a small license (8 kids or less) then you need to take the orientation (can do it online on the ccld website I think), a health & safety training (I think it's like 7 hours long), have current Pediatric First Aid and CPR training (has to be by American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or by a training program approved by the Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA), and has to be in-person, not online). Then you need a TB test. If you want a large license then you need proof of 1 year of childcare experience.

2. If you are renting, and want a small daycare license, then there is a form you have to send the landlord notifying them of your intent to have a daycare. They can't deny you, and don't have to sign off on it, all you have to do is deliver it to them. However, if you wanted a large license, you would need their approval. The landlord is allowed to ask to be added to your liability insurance policy, and is allowed to increase your rental deposit up to the maximum allowed (which is 2 times the monthly rent). I personally didn't notify my landlord until after I got approved as a tenant (I didn't want to give them a reason to pass me up), but even if you do notify them they can't deny your application based on the fact that you plan to operate a daycare. They can deny it for other reasons, but if they specifically say it's because of the daycare, you can actually get Equal Housing Opportunity to call them and set them straight.

3. You don't need a dedicated daycare bathroom. I use the same one as the daycare kids. You just have to have it child-proofed the same as other areas of the house. Everything has to be out of reach of children and all cabinets child-proofed. Check your handsoap to make sure it doesn't say "Keep Out of Reach of Children" - even that can't be within reach. I use a natural handsoap so I can leave it out all the time. Even your bath products in the shower/bath have to be out of reach (I use a large hanging shower caddy).
organicdclady 02:55 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by earlystart:
I'm in CA (San Diego) and renting, and can answer lots of questions:
1. If you are getting a small license (8 kids or less) then you need to take the orientation (can do it online on the ccld website I think), a health & safety training (I think it's like 7 hours long), have current Pediatric First Aid and CPR training (has to be by American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or by a training program approved by the Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA), and has to be in-person, not online). Then you need a TB test. If you want a large license then you need proof of 1 year of childcare experience.

2. If you are renting, and want a small daycare license, then there is a form you have to send the landlord notifying them of your intent to have a daycare. They can't deny you, and don't have to sign off on it, all you have to do is deliver it to them. However, if you wanted a large license, you would need their approval. The landlord is allowed to ask to be added to your liability insurance policy, and is allowed to increase your rental deposit up to the maximum allowed (which is 2 times the monthly rent). I personally didn't notify my landlord until after I got approved as a tenant (I didn't want to give them a reason to pass me up), but even if you do notify them they can't deny your application based on the fact that you plan to operate a daycare. They can deny it for other reasons, but if they specifically say it's because of the daycare, you can actually get Equal Housing Opportunity to call them and set them straight.

3. You don't need a dedicated daycare bathroom. I use the same one as the daycare kids. You just have to have it child-proofed the same as other areas of the house. Everything has to be out of reach of children and all cabinets child-proofed. Check your handsoap to make sure it doesn't say "Keep Out of Reach of Children" - even that can't be within reach. I use a natural handsoap so I can leave it out all the time. Even your bath products in the shower/bath have to be out of reach (I use a large hanging shower caddy).
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. There is so much information out there, but so much of it seems to be conflicting or worded in a way that is so confusing.
Do you know anything about the rules when it comes to dogs?
MarinaVanessa 03:49 PM 08-07-2014
I'm in Ventura County.

You have to attend an orientation as stated above ($25 in person, $30 online I believe)
Certification in Infant, Child and Adult CPR (renew every 2 years), CA Child Care: Pediatric First Aid (renew every 2 years), CA Child Care Preventative Health & Safety Practices (one time, about $160)
Live Scan Fingerprinting Background Check (about $45-$65 depending on where you go)
TB test ($15-$25 depending on where you go and whether your insurance covers it)
There are no other educational requirements as of right now

You have to have to send your landlord a copy of the PROPERTY OWNER/LANDLORD NOTIFICATION LIC 9151 and keep a copy of it in your files.

The landlord can't deny you renting or keep you from doing child care in the home however can deny you from caring for more than 6 children if you get a small license or deny you from carig for more than 12 children on a large license. A landlord can also require you to give a bigger deposit (but not more than 2 months worth of rent) and get liability insurance.

Here is Tenant Right's packet from CDSS: http://ccld.ca.gov/res/pdf/FamilyChi...nantRights.pdf

You don't have to use a separate bathroom.
earlystart 05:15 PM 08-08-2014
you can have dogs. I have a chihuahua and a couple cats freely roaming around the daycare. I also have a turtle in a tank. I'm not sure exactly what the regulations are, but my licensor didn't seem to have a problem with anything.
Reply Up