Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>learned something new
Maggie 03:25 AM 12-17-2014
I have been taking care of babies for almost 30 years and thought I knew everything there was to know. I was wrong. I found out recently and had the opportunity to test it out yesterday, that the weird shoulders on onsies actually have a purpose. It is designed that way so if a baby has a blowout you can take the onsie down off the shoulders instead of over the head! How did I not know this! Did you guys know? Is this common knowledge?
AuntTami 05:06 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by Maggie:
I have been taking care of babies for almost 30 years and thought I knew everything there was to know. I was wrong. I found out recently and had the opportunity to test it out yesterday, that the weird shoulders on onsies actually have a purpose. It is designed that way so if a baby has a blowout you can take the onsie down off the shoulders instead of over the head! How did I not know this! Did you guys know? Is this common knowledge?
I saw this on Facebook about a month ago. I had NO idea but it makes complete sense and is actually a genius idea. I just wish onesie companies would advertise that to customers so everyone knew. What's the point in making something like that, and not telling anyone about it?!?
Blackcat31 06:20 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I saw this on Facebook about a month ago. I had NO idea but it makes complete sense and is actually a genius idea. I just wish onesie companies would advertise that to customers so everyone knew. What's the point in making something like that, and not telling anyone about it?!?
I saw that posted on FB too.

Dating myself here, but anyone around my age or older knows what "lap shoulder" means and they do say it on the package...

....the Gerber 3-pack of onsies says "Designed with a lap-shoulder neckline for easy dressing so your baby won't experience any unnecessary discomfort"
Shell 06:26 AM 12-17-2014
I didn't know that- thanks for sharing!
AuntTami 07:31 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Dating myself here, but anyone around my age or older knows what "lap shoulder" means and they do say it on the package...

....the Gerber 3-pack of onsies says "Designed with a lap-shoulder neckline for easy dressing so your baby won't experience any unnecessary discomfort"
Lol well that doesn't help me since I had idea what "lap shouldering" was until just now. Haha! Maybe I'm the odd one out lol
Country Kids 07:33 AM 12-17-2014

I am a smidge older then you and never heard of lap shoulder necklines.

My own mom who was a big sewer never knew the pupose of the necklines on a onesie.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Lol well that doesn't help me since I had idea what "lap shouldering" was until just now. Haha! Maybe I'm the odd one out lol
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I am a smidge older then you and never heard of lap shoulder necklines.

My own mom who was a big sewer never knew the pupose of the necklines on a onesie.
Bummer...

Well at least you guys know now.
AuntTami 08:33 AM 12-17-2014
Bummer...

Well at least you guys know now.
I'm sure the next baby who has a blow out and doesn't hVe to get the gross onesie pulled over their head will thoroughly appreciate my new knowledge! lol
SignMeUp 10:21 AM 12-17-2014
I guess I'm pretty much a dinosaur, and will now date myself further

Before onesies, infant t-shirts came with lap shoulders, for the same reason
earlystart 12:45 PM 12-17-2014
I did know this, only because my lactation consultant told me about it after I had my son, and I've been letting all my friends with babies know. I also saw this on facebook a while ago, good to know the information is spreading
Unregistered 05:36 PM 12-17-2014
I'm 57, saw it on Facebook too. I Never knew this or heard of it, and have passed on the info to parents with young children!
CraftyMom 05:54 PM 12-17-2014
I did know this, but only from experience with my first diaper blow out with my first child. I just gave it a try instead of smearing that mess LOL.
Crazy8 06:12 PM 12-17-2014
I didn't really know that's why they were made that way but I have always done it that way - I just assumed everyone did, who wants to pull a poopy onsie over a baby's head????
permanentvacation 06:17 PM 12-17-2014
I'm the same as Craftymom with this one. A long time ago due to a diaper issue, I just decided to try to pull the onesie down instead of over the head in hopes of not spreading the muck all over the child. I've had to do that a couple of times throughout the years, but I never knew they were actually designed for that purpose. I just thought it was by chance because a baby's body is pretty much a rectangle and their shoulders aren't much bigger than their hips.
Reply Up