Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Peanut Allergies Here?
itlw8 07:50 AM 12-17-2013
starting a few weeks ago when dgd 7 eats peanuts she runs to the bathroom coughing to get a drink She says they get stuck in her throat. I asked her about peanut butter at school she says it is sticky in her throat so she drinks her milk. Does that sound like she is developing a peanut allergy? I was thinking since they will be making a visit to diagnose her ADHD they need to also talk about that and not eat any more for now.
Unregistered 08:13 AM 12-17-2013
I have dcb 2 with peanut allergies and it started that way for him at home. Now there is an epi pen here daily. It is hard to tell whether they really are just gooey in her throat or truly a swallowing problem. I wouldn't take the chance. I would suggest exactly what you said. That way you will be positive and not guessing or having dcp second guess you, kwim?
angiescott 08:37 AM 12-17-2013
I have a child of my own who has a severe peanut allergy. We discovered it when his face swelled up and he couldn't breathe. I have one who can eat peanuts and sometimes peanut butter simply gets stuck in his throat if it's too thick. I would inform the parents of your concern and let them take it from there. If they don't get them tested, I wouldn't serve peanut products to the child since it can be deadly if you don't have an epi-pen, benadryl and a possible ambulance trip.
itlw8 09:21 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have dcb 2 with peanut allergies and it started that way for him at home. Now there is an epi pen here daily. It is hard to tell whether they really are just gooey in her throat or truly a swallowing problem. I wouldn't take the chance. I would suggest exactly what you said. That way you will be positive and not guessing or having dcp second guess you, kwim?
this is my dgd I did tell her not to choose peanut butter at school today. Ds is out of town. It just seems off.
lovemykidstoo 10:27 AM 12-17-2013
Not sure, but I would have parents have her checked out by a doctor. Here we can't have an epi without a prescription. I did have a dcb that had peanut allergy and you have to be so careful. Watch products to see if not only they have nuts in them or if they're made in a plant that does. To my surprise, mashed potato flakes "might" have nuts in them because they are boxed in a plant that boxes another product that contains nuts. Luckily though now it's in bold print at the end of the ingredient lists of products, so you don't have to search through ingredients to find it.
Evansmom 01:24 PM 12-17-2013
We have food and peanut allergies here.

One thing I would worry about is if she is in fact having a reaction to eating the peanuts then it could progress to anaphylactic shock at any time. Just because the reaction she has had so far (getting stuck in her throat/possible throat swelling) is mild does not mean that will always be the reaction she will have. It can turn severe in a heartbeat. So this could be very dangerous for her if she is having a reaction.

As soon as possible she needs to be seen by her pedi and allergist.
jojosmommy 02:04 PM 12-17-2013
Sounds like a mild allergy to me.

First I would teach ALL your dck that they should run TO you not away from you if hey have any kind of scary thing like this. I taught and regularly remind my kids if they are choking or think they might be to sign choking (we do hand crossed over chest with hands around neck) and to get an adult.

Google Hannah's Law. I live in MN and this is a sad example of a kid who might have been saved had she known to seek an adult not run from. Its a sad example of why we need to know cpr as well.

I would avoid peanuts, tree nuts etc and suggest mom get an allergy appointment.
Tags:allergy - food, peanut allergy
Reply Up