Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Gain Lots Of Weights From Starting The Daycare?
LovetheSun 11:07 PM 09-08-2014
Hi everyone!

I was wondering how common is gain weight from starting/ running the Daycare.

I've gain about 25 to 30 lbs!!!! And quickly in about three months(when getting the house ready)

Once a size 2 to barely fitting a size 8!!! Beside feeling quite awful sometime, specially when family members keep on mentioning my weight gain (I've become the pity of the family with my mother keep on calling me with new diets tricks) I'm just wondering where it all come from and if I should be worried.

Some people might think I've became a chunky monkey from eating too much but honest truth (and no need to lie in this forum!) I have not been munching on candy bars all day.

Anyone went thru the same?

Google says that stress is a big factor which is very possible but I'm wondering if the weight will ever leave me. I've been open for about 8months (working on te business for a good 6montha prior to opening).
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 09-09-2014
Daycare is only one of the many reasons why I've been unable to shed weight. I'm an emotional eater and with having food available all the time, makes it darn near impossible. I can't say if daycare has directly caused me to gain weight but I do know when I worked outside the home a million years ago, it was easier to keep it off.
For me, I just don't have the willpower it takes.
Maybe if you start by writing down everything you eat it make give you an idea of what you're taking in? Are you less active now than you were before?
It's not easy.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 02:40 AM 09-09-2014
Your so not alone. I've gained about 60lbs in the 3-1/2 years I've been doing daycare. I hate it.
coolconfidentme 02:49 AM 09-09-2014
I've gained a few, but I don't get to run as often. I've started a new training program that should help me though. Have you tried to take a walk after DC? It relieves the stress & helps with your daily metabolism.
Annalee 04:51 AM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Daycare is only one of the many reasons why I've been unable to shed weight. I'm an emotional eater and with having food available all the time, makes it darn near impossible. I can't say if daycare has directly caused me to gain weight but I do know when I worked outside the home a million years ago, it was easier to keep it off.
For me, I just don't have the willpower it takes.
Maybe if you start by writing down everything you eat it make give you an idea of what you're taking in? Are you less active now than you were before?
It's not easy.
I think age is a factor as well....it is harder to get those "snacker pounds" off as we get older....I was a "grazer" until other issues arose so I had to stop and begin walking every day......I think with any job, putting on pounds can happen.
taylorw1210 05:03 AM 09-09-2014
I did gain weight, but it was because I had food available at all times and I definitely took advantage of it. I also am an emotional eater and when I am stressed, I used to "reward" myself with a treat. I stopped doing that, cut out all liquid calories (soda, juice, coffee, etc. I only drink water now) and started back at the gym and I'm down 15 lbs already. Just change up how you eat, and add some more active time to your daily routine.
midaycare 05:07 AM 09-09-2014
I started this year and have not gained yet. I was afraid I might gain weight in daycare so I started off wearing a pedometer. If I didn't reach 10,000 steps during the day, I had to do it at night. So far it has worked for me.
midaycare 05:11 AM 09-09-2014
Also, I have a set eating schedule. I eat 100 calories when I wake up, another 200 at the kids' am snack time, 500 at nap time, then another 100-200 around 4 if I need it. It feels like I am always eating! Dinner is always later for me and another 400-500 calories. 1500 total. For some people that would be low.
CraftyMom 05:43 AM 09-09-2014
I did gain some once I stopped working as many nights. My previous job had me on my feet constantly and moving around. I think my body had to adjust, but within a year I was back where I started. I also get out and run when I can and I am active with my dck's which helps.
Annalee 05:45 AM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I did gain weight, but it was because I had food available at all times and I definitely took advantage of it. I also am an emotional eater and when I am stressed, I used to "reward" myself with a treat. I stopped doing that, cut out all liquid calories (soda, juice, coffee, etc. I only drink water now) and started back at the gym and I'm down 15 lbs already. Just change up how you eat, and add some more active time to your daily routine.
I went to all water as well!
earlystart 08:17 AM 09-09-2014
For you to have gained 30 lbs in 3 months you'd have to gain about 2.5 lbs a week. Which is 8,750 extra calories per week than you were consuming before. Which is 1,250 extra calories per day...which is like eating 4 McDonald's cheeseburgers a day above and beyond your normal amount of food (at 300 calories each). So....maybe you had started eating more with all the stress (the stress hormone Cortisol can increase your appetite and you would tend to gain fat in your abdomen). I know you would have noticed eating 5 Snickers bars a day, but if it was just extra servings of your regular meals, and extra snacks and late night munchies, you may not have thought it was that much, but it was. Another possibility is that you haven't gained as much as you think you have (maybe not 30...maybe closer to 15-20?) and/or maybe it took several months to gain all that weight, in which case it would have been less noticeable that you were eating more. If you have in fact gained 30 lbs in 3 months and seriously don't see yourself having eaten 1,250 extra calories a day, then I would actually go to a doctor and ask what's going on (maybe low thyroid hormones).

But to answer your question, I had gained about 10 lbs over 2 months when I got really stressed out and depressed a couple months after opening my daycare, but it was very obvious that I was overeating, so I wasn't at all surprised. When I was preparing to open my daycare, the stress was immense though for a good 3 months, but if anything I lost weight from all the hectic running around getting things done. And when I first started working as a preschool teacher several years ago, I consistently gained weight every year from being around food all the time (like 5-10 lbs a year until I started dieting/exercising).

I think at this point, even if the stress is gone, you will need to go out of your way to get the extra weight off, it's not just gonna go away from your hormones returning to normal levels. The most effective thing to do these days is use a calorie-counting app on your smart phone (LoseIt or MyFitnessPal) which will help you calculate how many calories to eat a day and you can easily enter food by scanning the barcode on the package or search for it in their database.
preschoolteacher 11:15 AM 09-09-2014
That's a lot of weight to gain in such a short time. Do you have kids enrolled? You mentioned you gained while getting the house ready.

If you're not snacking more, I'd go to the doctor. It sounds more than stress weight. Maybe a thyroid or hormonal imbalance.

Good luck!
lilcupcakes09 09:58 AM 09-10-2014
Wow this is interesting!
I never stop running and have maintained my weight for the past 5 years since starting daycare. I always associated with the non-stop activity, plus I don't always have time to eat breakfast and lunch, and def don't have time to snack. I am currently 7 months pregnant and have only gained 10 lbs, after losing 6 pounds the first 4 1/2 months. I have been grateful that I don't have a desk job, then I would surely be putting on the pounds!
Controlled Chaos 10:18 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
You cut out COFFEE?????

Mind blown. You are super human

I can cut out the rest but prefer a few pounds in exchange for coffee...and wine.
rosieteddy 10:51 AM 09-10-2014
eating ringdings right now.Tough morning but everyone is asleep ....at least at this exact moment. Am restarting a diet program monday.Had good luck on it before but regained everything back.
Reply Up